easy pedal smooth mod

Started by Striker Amplification, July 19, 2013, 07:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

OHMMMM.....OHMMMM.....OHMMMM........

I'm meditating in a happy, serene place where this thread has sunken into the depths of the archives.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Bill Mountain

I was super agro on a music forum once when I was a young and I got my ass handed to me.  I was mad for a while but then I learned a lesson.  This isn't real life.  I don't have to take anything on the internet seriously.  I do try to be respectful but If I say something hurtful or something that'll I'll later regret or those things are done to me I stop caring as soon as I get up from the computer.

therecordingart

I just got back with the popcorn...what did I miss? The microwave was acting up, but I narrowed it down to too much voltage of negative electrons flowing...fixed it with this smooth mod.

I couldn't help myself. Too bad he left. He was eager, but the execution needed work.

dmc777

I somewhat agree with almost everyone reply about the op. He seemed like a nice guy and was willing to help when he could, whether it was correct or not, but he also didn't explain himself well or answer questions which would benefit those of us that need it! Don't think he meant any harm. Maybe a advertising on his behalf but that doesn't bother me as long as he's contributing. He didn't take well to criticism though and there is alot he could learn from some of our members. Too bad...maybe he'll sign back up and continue to toss ideas but also be willing learn how they work etc...

ch1naski

I think he may have been in over his head, technically/knowledge wise. A couple very knowledgeable people here were questioning him about simple things that he didn't have proper answers to.
At some point, going on and on about things you aren't really knowledgeable/experienced with, especially in these forums, makes you seem foolish.
A bit more humbleness on his part, and a bit less aggro on our part, things may have went more smoothly. He is not without fault here.
Neither are we.

But, there are some big fish here. You know what they say about swimming with them......
Mockingbird wish me luck.

Jdansti

I personally have no problem with people questioning information in posts and trying to get answers. That's a big part if this forum. The problem is when it's done in a way that attacks the person and not the information.

Also, the piling on by people who have nothing to add to the conversation other than insults makes no sense. All it does is make the poster look immature.

Yes the OP initiated some personal attacks. I've learned that attacking back in the same vain doesn't harm the first offender, it just makes both parties look stupid and it derails attempts to sort out the technical details. I you have nothing positive to add to a conversation, then don't post. We're not all waiting here with baited breath to see you try to build yourselves up by knocking someone else down.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

DougH

Something I learned a long time ago: Ignore threads that upset you. And if you see a thread subject that makes you think, "Wow... This sounds really stupid", don't bother reading it, because to you it probably is.

You don't have to read everything and you don't have to respond to everything. That's the cool thing about forums and the internet in general. You are not being broadcasted to. You get to pick & choose the content you read and most certainly what you interact with. Exercise your power! Life is too short to get into artificial arguments with random people in virtual reality.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

ch1naski

Quote from: DougH on July 24, 2013, 03:14:25 PM
Something I learned a long time ago: Ignore threads that upset you. And if you see a thread subject that makes you think, "Wow... This sounds really stupid", don't bother reading it, because to you it probably is.

You don't have to read everything and you don't have to respond to everything. That's the cool thing about forums and the internet in general. You are not being broadcasted to. You get to pick & choose the content you read and most certainly what you interact with. Exercise your power! Life is too short to get into artificial arguments with random people in virtual reality.
yep.

pinkjimiphoton

i friended him on facebook. he's a young guy, looks like he knows how to do stuff... but he may not have known why the stuff he did was working the way it did.

seems like a fairly nice guy. i think shit just got off to a bad start.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Digital Larry

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 24, 2013, 12:08:59 AMeric johnson claims he can hear a difference in polarity of his guitar cable for god's sake,  and i AGREE with him on that.. flipping the phase of a wire definitely seems to sound different, try it. it's subtle, but it's there.

Well actually, so do I.  If you look at a guitar signal on an oscilloscope, it's generally NOT symmetrical.  If you amplified this perfectly cleanly, I'd wager that even old Diamond-Ears (EJ) would have a hard time knowing the difference.  But if it goes into an amp with some asymmetrical clipping then yeah you betcha I'm pretty sure you don't have to turn the lava lamp up very bright to imagine that the waveform and sound are going to be a bit different.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

mistahead

"eric johnson claims he can hear a difference in polarity of his guitar cable for god's sake"

Physics people, go back to how electrons interact and how that works at an atomic/sub-atomic level.

Now explain to me HOW the hell (given the path of least resistance will be symetrical) wire becomes polar or directional.

Please - come on - doeeeet.

Digital Larry

Has nothing to with with sub atomics.  Has everything to do with harmonics and waveform symmetry or lack thereof.

If a waveform is symmetrical, it is composed only of odd harmonics.  This does NOT generally describe your guitar's signal unless you very carefully pluck it right at the center point.  Surely you would acknowledge that the timbre of the guitar signal depends a great deal on where you pluck the string.

So for example, the signal is FAT on the bottom and only goes to -1/2 volt but it's peaky on the top and goes to +3/4 volt.   Now then let's suppose you run this signal into an amplifier that clips everything at 1/2 volt on one side and 3/4 volts on the other side.  Depending on the polarity of the signal going in, it will either go through unscathed, or the 3/4 volt peak will get clipped to 1/2 volt.  So it depends on the amp you're running it into also.

That's all I meant and I'm pretty sure you would be able to notice the difference.  If however you didn't do that but simply cleanly amplified the asymmetrical waveform then I don't think anyone would notice the difference.
Digital Larry

aron

One side of the plug is dirty - that's why he hears a difference. The cable is not directional. Please don't spout rumors because they spread very quickly and far!

oh wait.....

"As you break the cable in, which some say takes about 40 hours, the sound quality improves because the signal causes the crystalline structure inside the copper wire to align"

http://www.deathvalleycablecompany.com/faqs-technical.html#directional

mistahead

I'm going to need a "geeks five" on polarity as you are using it here, lets leave the amp out of the equation (as it will apparently emphasise or mask what you are referring to, its a multiplier not the problem in your description quoted below).

Clearly I'm missing the joke or the point as it appears to me you are trying to tell me that the waveform is essentially bouncing or being clipped at the top and bottom of the cable's bandwidth depending on the asymmetry of the waveform the guitar is producing.

Not being agressive - kgo again please.

Quote from: Digital Larry on July 25, 2013, 11:10:49 PM
Has nothing to with with sub atomics.  Has everything to do with harmonics and waveform symmetry or lack thereof.

If a waveform is symmetrical, it is composed only of odd harmonics.  This does NOT generally describe your guitar's signal unless you very carefully pluck it right at the center point.  Surely you would acknowledge that the timbre of the guitar signal depends a great deal on where you pluck the string.

So for example, the signal is FAT on the bottom and only goes to -1/2 volt but it's peaky on the top and goes to +3/4 volt.   Now then let's suppose you run this signal into an amplifier that clips everything at 1/2 volt on one side and 3/4 volts on the other side.  Depending on the polarity of the signal going in, it will either go through unscathed, or the 3/4 volt peak will get clipped to 1/2 volt.  So it depends on the amp you're running it into also.

That's all I meant and I'm pretty sure you would be able to notice the difference.  If however you didn't do that but simply cleanly amplified the asymmetrical waveform then I don't think anyone would notice the difference.

Digital Larry

Quote from: mistahead on July 25, 2013, 11:32:54 PM
I'm going to need a "geeks five" on polarity as you are using it here, lets leave the amp out of the equation (as it will apparently emphasise or mask what you are referring to, its a multiplier not the problem in your description quoted below).

If you leave the amp out of the equation then I have no point.  I agree with you that a cable has no polarity.  I don't mean swapping one end with the other.  In real life it would amount more to reversing your pickup wiring or accidentally swapping hot for ground on ONE END ONLY of the cable.  But to be honest I don't know what EJ meant when he said this, if he did.
Digital Larry

ch1naski

C'mon. Wire does NOT have polarity. I'm sure his pickups have monopole magnets, tho.
;)

mistahead

Quote from: Digital Larry on July 25, 2013, 11:38:01 PM
Quote from: mistahead on July 25, 2013, 11:32:54 PM

If you leave the amp out of the equation then I have no point.  I agree with you that a cable has no polarity.  I don't mean swapping one end with the other.  In real life it would amount more to reversing your pickup wiring or accidentally swapping hot for ground on ONE END ONLY of the cable.  But to be honest I don't know what EJ meant when he said this, if he did.

Lol - nuff said.

I knew you weren't suggesting just "directional cable" here - I'm not quite that silly, I'm an IT geek - I was trying to work out WTF "cable polarity" meant in context of small audio - nothing, just like in my job.

mistahead

Quote from: ch1naski on July 25, 2013, 11:38:04 PM
C'mon. Wire does NOT have polarity. I'm sure his pickups have monopole magnets, tho.
;)

Hmmm - pickups are magnets aren't they... it seemed like an obvious call to get neo magnets put into my right hand's fingers as they aren't fretting fingers so lower risk (and really who doesn't want to be able to sense magnetic fields)... but now I have to think about the effect of having four or five magnets in my hands that close to my pups.

ch1naski

Be careful which hand you go grabbing your credit cards with....