POPPING SOLUTION?

Started by Lbzg, July 28, 2013, 05:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lbzg

Hi everyone,

I have found something very interesting regarding to popping...my obsession since I can't get rid of it...

But there are some secrets involved and I can't figure how they calculate values of capacitors and on what basis..I know that here are many smarter minds how can figure this one out in benefit for all of us...

http://mrblackpedals.com/blogs/straight-jive/6629778-what-really-causes-swit

Please I some one know this secret tell me on message if he/she does not wanna share publicly...

And some of people mentioned in my previous posts that there is no secret solution to this...well you guys sure knows how to mislead people...

R O Tiree

Lb - there is nothing new there that you haven't been told before in other threads. Honestly. There is no secret, and accusing people of keeping secrets from you is not going to make them want to help.

I have offered before, and I will offer again - send me your pedal and I will sort it out. I will take pictures as I go. I will document everything that I do, so that you will know exactly how to do it for yourself.

...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Lbzg

First this post is not about accusing or discussing about it, second, I only wanna know how to calculate this values, period!

If there are real experts who knows how to do it and wanna share a knowledge be free to express yourself. :-)

I just can't believe and wonnt believe that there is no cure for popping. It is simple discharge of energy and it needs to be solved and I know that manufactures that build this things have found right formula for values of those caps and resistors but they wonnt tell and who can blame them, they have every right to do that.

And sites like tonepad and GGG are full of nonsense. Pedals pops and they don't even tell that or even share info for various situations (and they are a lot of them) what to do if it does...

Myth about non popping 3pdt is just simple  l i e  to make people do stuff, spend money and then buy commerical stuff at the end of their nerves....

I have build my pedals that I intended to and they produce sound with out any problems and yes most of those sounds costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars but they pop and it is war win for commerical pedals...that frustrates me and I though that communities like this rise on waves of sharing knowledge and information but as it turns out they don't...bragging about something and sharing info that is not actual is no heroism it is cowardice...

slacker

The capacitors shown on the drawings in that link are just the input and output capacitors of the circuit, so they are whatever value the pedal uses. I don't know why he shows them as separate components unless he is really adding extra caps, if he is you will have to ask him what values to use, I've never seen anyone else do that.

Lbzg

If you read whole post you could realize that all situations and help that people offer here is  w r o n g ...and I believe he uses extra caps...I also thought that they are caps from PCB but they are not...I have asked him/them to explain that and the values but they just direct me to this post and keep their secret to them of course...every help people offered here is not right...I know that most of successful builders here have that info and know how to calculate these values and just keep them for them self...not cool and not characteristics for any community member...   

slacker

The only time adding extra caps would help is if your input and output caps are faulty and leaking DC, then then extra caps will stop the DC getting out of the pedal to the switch causing pops. A better solution would be to replace the faulty caps, if your input and output caps are fine then adding extra ones is pointless.

I will guarantee you that no one here adds those extra caps to their builds.

Lbzg

There is no sign of leaking caps or faulty caps in that post...I think this is real deal and that they found universal way of reducing popping. I don't know if this is truth but it have more sense that all "help" some people provide here...I think this will help all of us as soon as we find the way how to calculate those values...

every diy pedal pops and we cannot play with such pedals. all this have no sense if we don't stop popping. it is no one diy enemy at this point. :-)

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Gus

We do not know what caps you are using or if the switches are bad or overheated when soldered.

Cap type does matter at the input and output.  Science not tone

Kipper4

I make DIY pedals that dont pop.
That is not to say i havent had issues in the past. I have but RG wrote a whole thesis on this for everyone to see.
I usually find a 1M resistor to ground on the input and grounding the box helps alot otherwise i will use a millenium bypass.
Theres no big secrets here i dont think.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

XXISouthpaw

Jees, getting a little hostile aren't ya?
I'm extremely far from an expert, but I highly doubt there's some secret DIY Pedal Illuminati going on behind all our backs. From the help I've received on this site and from reading other sites I don't think the information people readily give out would lead them to keeping such a small thing such as a pop a secret.
I'll say again I'm far from a pro in any of this, but surely a build up of energy could be a number of things, and narrowing them down might be able to reduce or remove the pop? Kipper4 gave some great examples. All it is is a small buildup of energy at the end of the day, I don't think calling people cowards over this is really necessary.

J0K3RX

I like pop! The louder the better :icon_mrgreen: lets myself and everybody else know that I have switched something... look at it as a blessing? by the way, if anybody knows how to make it super loud please tell me your method? I would love to incorporate that into my friends pedal just to see the look on his face :icon_eek:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Lbzg

OK, ok...I was frustrated...I can't get it to work properly so my nerves are a bit thinner...apologizes to everyone affected...

Millenium bypass - tried version from Keen but didn't do any thing and led was always on.

1M resistor on input does nothing (tried from 10 ohm to 3.3 m ohm)...

best I found that works is wiring scheme from guitar fx layouts...but there is still slight pop...didn't found anything that can be 100 % sure and that brings my frustration...all advices end up in over the cliff...no one has given any solution just advice...

And I tried to test for bad caps ( :-) ) but can't find best tutorial for multimeter without cap tester...been tried with ohm settings on 2000k but or caps just sits on -1666 or on 0.20 of the shown value..no signs of damage on them and no liquid around them...also from my pics I have send before no one has said anything about it so I presume it is ok...

Kipper4

If i remember correctly someone said that sometime other pedals in the chain cause the popping and it may not be the one your trying to fix.
which pedal do you think it is and please share the schematic.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Lbzg

I always test pedal one by one and always with battery.

And it is rebote 2.5 from tonepad, its8 from GGG, mircoamp from ggg, comet filter from guitar fx layouts, tufnel distorsion from bevisaudio and tube screamer 9 from tonepad...

those are popping pedals...

all caps on input and output as well as resistors are as shown in schematic...

Believe me, these are just hardest popping problems you have ever encounter...I cant explain it...

Guys, please, if you will post any advice or solution use the highest noob level of explanation as possible, drawings are welcome, forgot that I have some experience with it...just remember that...:-)

samhay

Do you have any pedals that don't pop?
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

R.G.

Quote from: Lbzg on July 28, 2013, 11:37:10 AM
Guys, please, if you will post any advice or solution use the highest noob level of explanation as possible, drawings are welcome, forgot that I have some experience with it...just remember that...:-)

-> Popping is almost always caused by suddenly switching to a different level of DC. 
-> Many, many people have used the circuits you're talking about and not had popping
-> The cures for popping that you're talking about have been used to fix many, many instances of popping.
-> You say you've implemented the circuits as shown. OK, we'll take that as true until proven incorrect.
-> Just out of curiousity, have you *measured* the DC levels on the inputs and outputs of your pedals when they're powered up? As little as 20-50mV can cause popping.

If we eliminate the pedals as sources of DC to be switched to cause popping, it logically must be somewhere else.

Have you checked your amplifier to see if *it* is putting out DC on its *input*?
Some guitar use onboard buffers. If you have one of these, it is possible that it's putting out DC on its *output*.

Both of these would cause intractable problems with popping if true.

As A. Conan Doyle said through Sherlock Holmes' mouth, "Eliminate the impossible, dear Watson, and what ever remains, however improbable, must be - the truth!"
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Lbzg

Yes I have although popping vanishes after statics are cleared due to some pressing on stomp switch...

One question for experienced builders - What do you guys do first when you find that your pedal pops? What is procedure that you do? Don't just say "I measure everything" better describe how do you do what you do when that happens.

This is one question I haven't asked before so let's try this way, I'm sure I'm doing something terribly wrong...:-(

Lbzg

Quote from: R.G. on July 28, 2013, 12:18:50 PM
Quote from: Lbzg on July 28, 2013, 11:37:10 AM

-> Popping is almost always caused by suddenly switching to a different level of DC. 
-> Many, many people have used the circuits you're talking about and not had popping
-> The cures for popping that you're talking about have been used to fix many, many instances of popping.
-> You say you've implemented the circuits as shown. OK, we'll take that as true until proven incorrect.
-> Just out of curiousity, have you *measured* the DC levels on the inputs and outputs of your pedals when they're powered up? As little as 20-50mV can cause popping.

If we eliminate the pedals as sources of DC to be switched to cause popping, it logically must be somewhere else.

Have you checked your amplifier to see if *it* is putting out DC on its *input*?
Some guitar use onboard buffers. If you have one of these, it is possible that it's putting out DC on its *output*.

Both of these would cause intractable problems with popping if true.

As A. Conan Doyle said through Sherlock Holmes' mouth, "Eliminate the impossible, dear Watson, and what ever remains, however improbable, must be - the truth!"

This is approach that is promising. :-) Thanks.

OK. How to measure (don't roll your eyes - I will ask everything and some of questions will be dump as a rock I need to find out all I'm doing wrong) that, please explain step by step?

- I have multimeter (cheap one) with out sound alert and without cap tester - ohm meter goes to 2000k and I have diode checker...

Also how to measure input and output on amp?

And I do have cap inside of a guitar (been doing potting and rewiring of my strat). I can't remember what value it is but when we you tell me exactly what to do with it and how to stop possible trouble with it I will go and dismantle my pickguard (will not do it to many times)... :-)