POPPING SOLUTION?

Started by Lbzg, July 28, 2013, 05:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lbzg

And one more...:-) How to measure pedal for leaking voltage? What values to expect for what pedal?

slacker

To measure pedals you do the same as you did for the amp. Plug leads into the input and output jacks turn the pedal on and measure the voltage between the tips and sleeves of the jacks.

aron

What values to expect???
From YOUR posted article:

QuoteI have found that any DC bleed in excess of 5mV (that's 0.005 VDC) will cause a small POP, and it gets much worse as voltages increase.  By 20mV, shit is intolerable and you will dread hitting your pedal, especially if it is upstream from a delay pedal.

Jdansti

>Can my popping be due to this factors or it is possible that if something is build from beginning to the end as shown on guide comes out with popping?

If the popping is due to a leaky input capacitor on your amp, then it's not anything you did. Capacitors don't last forever.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Lbzg

Quote from: Jdansti on July 29, 2013, 07:55:09 PM
>Can my popping be due to this factors or it is possible that if something is build from beginning to the end as shown on guide comes out with popping?

If the popping is due to a leaky input capacitor on your amp, then it's not anything you did. Capacitors don't last forever.

Ok, ok but I was meaning with pedals not amp...generally speaking on building pedals.

aron

You have to measure. I know you don't like to hear that, but if you have enough voltage - you get the pop.

slacker

Quote from: Lbzg on July 30, 2013, 11:45:36 AM
Quote from: Jdansti on July 29, 2013, 07:55:09 PM

Ok, ok but I was meaning with pedals not amp...generally speaking on building pedals.

If you do what the guide says, or what people here have explained, then your pedal should not make pops. It might still pop if you connect it to another another pedal, guitar or amp that is leaking DC, to stop this sort of popping you have to make sure nothing in your signal chain is leaking DC.
This is only one sort of popping though, the last sort of popping R.G. explains in  this picture can still happen, there is nothing you can do about it using this type of bypass.

Lbzg

I have made one test.

I have connected my pedal to a multi fx and trough it's bypass mode I have connected headphones to it's output instead of amp and pedals sill pop...(rebote 2.5, dist plus and rat) ones that I have tested...

I have disconnected led's and it is the same...

Also I have measured pedals - Distorsion plus from GGG when I set multimeter to 200m has a -01.3 to -01.5 readings and Rat from tonepad has a 0.03 reading...

What can you tell me from that? is that ok or not? will this define maybe a better pull down resistor or indicate in something else?

Lbzg

mistahead

Well I like the outcome... but can't help with a solution directly.

I'll just check you are isolating the pedals for testing (again) - one pedal, two leads, one guitar into the multi with headphones.

We've looked at the amp by omitting it from the equation (easier than warming up the irons), we are left with a subset of pedals and a guitar to be the sources of the issue. Assuming the above one-pedal rule is true we can start wondering if its something about the guitar or each individual pedal as a source for the DC popping. Just for the sake of helping me paint the picture - what pups?

It IS possible each pedal is getting an individual popping issue that could require individual pull downs, etc, or it could be that the instrument is introducing it (dodge wiring on active pups maybe).

I am over my head in truth, but that never stopped me fixing things before hahaha.

Jdansti

Do you have a different guitar you can try?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Lbzg

I have tried different guitar and even with an acoustic with pickup and it still pops.

This is absolutely frustrating and I don't know what frustrates me more; popping of pedals or silence from all those people on this forum that have convinced me that it can be solved...ok...

I think that we all need to focus on my first post on this tread and look into how to calculate those values because this is for people that are having this problem...or wanna be sure that it won't happen ever again or never...

Please, listen what I'm saying...I know you all have pedals that don't pop...maybe you have done something different, maybe you know something we others don't, maybe you are simply lucky in building this, maybe this is just one big prank...I don't care and don't need to know anyone's reasons but I know that when ANY manufacturer does't wanna share something that it is something that no one knows and it gives him advantage in front of the others...I tell You all that this must be a link that is missing...I'm no engineer and don't have degree in any related science but some of  you do, and if you are part of this community, and wanna help others, this is occasion where you can shine...

slacker

Quote from: Lbzg on August 02, 2013, 12:19:59 PM
and look into how to calculate those values because this is for people that are having this problem...

If you really want to try this, make the caps 10 times bigger than the existing input and output caps or just use 1uF or 2.2uF caps. Use only good quality film caps, no electros.
Use 1 Meg resistors for the resistors to ground and anything between 100 Ohm and 1K for the series resistors.

If this works for you that's great if it doesn't hopefully it will stop you accusing people here of lying and hiding secrets from you.

GGBB

Has anyone mentioned mechanical pop yet?  Lbzg - can you post a recording of the popping noise?
  • SUPPORTER

Lbzg

Quote from: slacker on August 02, 2013, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: Lbzg on August 02, 2013, 12:19:59 PM
and look into how to calculate those values because this is for people that are having this problem...

If you really want to try this, make the caps 10 times bigger than the existing input and output caps or just use 1uF or 2.2uF caps. Use only good quality film caps, no electros.
Use 1 Meg resistors for the resistors to ground and anything between 100 Ohm and 1K for the series resistors.

If this works for you that's great if it doesn't hopefully it will stop you accusing people here of lying and hiding secrets from you.

will try that. Report back when done.

Lbzg

Quote from: GGBB on August 02, 2013, 12:49:35 PM
Has anyone mentioned mechanical pop yet?  Lbzg - can you post a recording of the popping noise?

I think that someone have, but clarify that...what is it and how to eliminate it? if it is possible...

Also I heard that millennium bypass version 2 is most silent switch but I can't find schematics for it..just saying, if it is not just contradict me. :-)

slacker

Here's the millennium 2 http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/millenium/millen.htm This can stop popping that is caused by the LED. For any other sorts of pop it is the same as other true bypass switching.

Lbzg

ok, but transistor orientation is not shown as in other schematics...ok as my pedals don't suffer from led popping...

please guys refer to my question from before.

induction

Without high resolution close up photos of both sides of your circuit boards and all of the wiring connections, there's not much more anyone can do.

GGBB

Quote from: Lbzg on August 02, 2013, 12:57:51 PM
Quote from: GGBB on August 02, 2013, 12:49:35 PM

I think that someone have, but clarify that...what is it and how to eliminate it? if it is possible...

Mechanical popping is caused by the actual physical shock of the switching mechanism that makes an acoustic noise which is picked up by the enclosure/circuit/wires/jacks somehow.  No way to eliminate it that I know of - except use a softer/quieter switch.  I have also heard of some people using rubber washers to isolate their switch from the enclosure.
  • SUPPORTER