Kay Fuzztone vs. Univox Super Fuzz

Started by fuzzmonger, July 29, 2013, 02:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzmonger

Howdy, stompers,
I fancy a superfuzz-type pedal and I'm wondering what kind of sonic differences I can expect between the 6 transistor Univox and the 4 transistor Kay. The lazy man in me wants to do the Kay, but I don't particularly want to end up with a poorer-sounding version due to my laziness.

Thoughts?
-Fuzzmonger

ps, I'm gonna through the Ibanez Standard Fuzz into the debate just to be difficult - seems to sit somewhere between the two but I'm slightly phobic of that FET on the front and its inherent biasing fiddliness.
-Fuzzmonger

LucifersTrip

you can see the big differences are the lack of expander and a boost stage...you can't lose with the super fuzz especially since you have original voltages from a good one!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=64068.0
always think outside the box

Mark Hammer

Hey, if the Kay is good enough for Daniel Lanois, it's good enough for you.  :icon_wink:

fuzzmonger

An Expander (aka a gain control) won't be hard to add but, regarding the missing gain stage, can the Kay still achieve (and hopefully WAY surpass) unity?
-Fuzzmonger
-Fuzzmonger

John Lyons

I add the Gain control and the make up gain section to the Kay.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

pinkjimiphoton

the kay and univox tho similar are VASTLY different tonally. the superfuzz is, well, an over-the top SUPER FUZZ...

the kay is more like a crappy fuzztone. cool, but not in the ball park. like the difference between a fetzer valve and, oh, a plexi.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

John Lyons

the kay is more like a crappy fuzztone. cool, but not in the ball park
Yeah but still. Like the guy or not, gotta admit that the fuzz is cool.
Really depends on your setup as well.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mistahead

Slight tangent - the Kay Trem is similar - special type of sound that is niche but attractive...

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: John Lyons on July 29, 2013, 10:41:23 PM

the kay is more like a crappy fuzztone. cool, but not in the ball park
Yeah but still. Like the guy or not, gotta admit that the fuzz is cool.
Really depends on your setup as well.

i used to own one... for real, this is HEAVILY processed... they don't sound all that good on their own!!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

agoldoor

As a total Kay freak/collector of Kay stuff, I can't say enough great things about the Kay Fuzztone... but the thing I like most about it is the treadle control personally...

But in terms of what you are asking, of all three, my builds of the Ibanez Standard Fuzz have been my favorite. They nail that kind of thing way better than the Super Fuzz or the Kay.