New enclosure construction experiments ...

Started by guitardanhx, July 30, 2013, 03:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitardanhx

Hehe I dammit should have patented it.  :icon_biggrin:

Surprised nobody has come up with something similar before actually. I was just looking for cheaper ways to house my pedals, using what I had lying around in the workshop. The Hammond style boxes used to be probably the most expensive part of my build!

D

liagasg

Quote from: guitardanhx on July 30, 2013, 03:02:42 PM

Absolutely amazing piece of work. How did you transfer the design? Press n peel?
Warlord Custom

guitardanhx

Thanks!

It was engraved on special coated metal using a computer controlled engraving machine -  See my post about 4 posts back for a more in-depth explanation.  :icon_cool:

liagasg

CNC engraving? Cool idea! I was looking for laser engravers, but CNC is a great idea.

Jaw dropping result man, I am in love with your pedal :D
Warlord Custom

puretube

Quote from: guitardanhx on August 01, 2013, 08:52:42 AM
Hehe I dammit should have patented it.  :icon_biggrin:

Surprised nobody has come up with something similar before actually. I was just looking for cheaper ways to house my pedals, using what I had lying around in the workshop. The Hammond style boxes used to be probably the most expensive part of my build!

D

MOOG`d???

guitardanhx

Haha, seems like somebody already did think of it ... oops.  :icon_lol:

glops

Man, beautiful, beautiful work. Anyone got any suggestions on a good bending brake that will work for this type of building. I looked at the Harbor freight ones awhile back and also some fancier ones but never purchased. Also, what's a good type of saw to purchase for straight cuts. My knowledge of saws is quite limited to a chop saw, circular saw, jigsaw. I'd love to make my own enclosures...

Mac Walker

Love this stuff! Making enclosures is perhaps more addictive than the finished circuits, to me anyway...

Here is a prototype for a MIDI controller I made a few years ago, to test the ergonomics of the note layout (it's C, C#, D, D#, E).  It's still an empty box!

My original foray into pedals actually came from the fact that I had all these little pieces of walnut leftover from guitar bodies....waste not, want not!

Here is a design that wraps around, using one piece of aluminum.  Friction holds the side pieces in place.

The side shielding is from aluminum cans, turned inside out.

You use a ratcheting screw clamp to tighten the wrap around piece before the two screws go into the walnut:

mistahead

If it looks Moog-y is must be good.

It IS a rule isn't it?   :icon_wink:

Love it.

bluebunny

Quote from: Mac Walker on August 01, 2013, 08:01:28 PM

I would post a series of pictures showing how I make towels.  If I could make towels.  And then, only to throw them in...   :-\
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

I did this about ten years ago now, jarra fencepost sides, ex-pc steel, block of wood + hammer:

and this about 4 years ago, w/ toy fur covering, old lounge wood and perspex panel:

right now, I m working on wooden sides and paisley, but using cloth.

I used to route a groove along the inside of the cheeks, and put a 3mm thick Al strip in, then drill through top and bottom, then tap, and screw through for holding together. my newest boxes are much smaller, but present just as many construction problems. and they won't look as good as yours.

metalworks, you say?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

kaycee

Very creative, the Eggstortion made me chuckle, love that wedge enclosure. Top drawer stuff!

Kyurie

Thought I'd just share these pictures of my latest pedal builds - I've been trying to come up with new ways of building the enclosures to set them apart from the standard Hammond types.

First up is a wooden sided enclosure with a diamond etched paisley design on top:

Amazing work!

A little example of my cnc laser engraving.

I used a piece of 0.5 mm stainless steel and a hammond style aluminium enclosure. On the backside there is a laser engraved sticker. Sorry for my English... Cheers from Belarus  ;)

duck_arse

Quote from: Kyurie on April 29, 2014, 07:20:50 PM

Amazing work!

A little example of my cnc laser engraving.

I used a piece of 0.5 mm stainless steel and a hammond style aluminium enclosure. On the backside there is a laser engraved sticker. Sorry for my English... Cheers from Belarus  ;)

not fair, kyurie, you've made rivet heads look good. I'm going to hide mine under some fake wooden panels. well, real wood, and real panels, but they won't do anything. except hide rivets, look good, and take forever to make. I gave up on stainless after trying to drill it.

nice looking box, fine looking english.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Kyurie

Quotenot fair, kyurie, you've made rivet heads look good. I'm going to hide mine under some fake wooden panels. well, real wood, and real panels, but they won't do anything. except hide rivets, look good, and take forever to make. I gave up on stainless after trying to drill it.

nice looking box, fine looking english.

Tnks! The rivet heads are the most ambiguous moment of my design... Bought some red rivet heads in building shop yesterday :) Gonna try with the red enclosure, hope this will be look nice

Mika

Quote from: Hexjibber on July 31, 2013, 10:08:55 AM
First up is a wooden sided enclosure with a diamond etched paisley design on top:

That is one damn fine looking pedal man! Top work!

very nice
congratulations