Author Topic: Circuitboard complete!  (Read 13083 times)

gnort_2

Circuitboard complete!
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »
It aint pretty... I'm not exactly sure why or how it works... but I made it dammit and it aint junk....

I tried it with just hand wiring (no solder) to the battery and the input/output jacks and the potentiometer.  Sounded great!  What a boost!

So some things i learned in building:

1.  My ham fists belong in some pea soup.  Big hands are not condusive to wiring small parts.
2.  An extra set of hands would be great.
3.  It seems like solder adheres better imediately after heating up then if its sat on the solder gun for a few minutes.  Freshly melted seems to make better connections.
4.  Coffee makes for shaky hands.  Shaky hands makes for "rogue" solder mistakes.
5.  Its not that scary.
6.  it was ok to run the resister differently than aron showed as long as it makes the connections still.  (there was a shotty/risky solder i didnt want to tangle with for a second time, so i avoi9ded it)
7.  I need smll gauge solder and a finer solder tip.
8.  Solder sucker bulb doesnt seem to work very well on small precise spots.  Is a solder wick (?) more precise?  Were can i get one?

Anyway, Thanks for all the help all.  Im sure ill need more hooking up the switch and led.  Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:39:46 PM by gnort_2 »

aron

Re: Circuitboard complete!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
YES!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!! looks great!

"but I made it dammit and it aint junk...."

There you go!

Aron

bluebunny

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »
Well done!

3.  It seems like solder adheres better imediately after heating up then if its sat on the solder gun for a few minutes.  Freshly melted seems to make better connections.

Don't pre-cook your solder!   :D   The flux in the solder will all have boiled away.  The flux helps clean the parts to be joined and makes the soldering a breeze.

Bring the dry tip to the parts to be joined.  When they are hot (only a second or two) bring some fresh solder into play.  It will melt immediately and flow around your hot joint.  When the solder has flowed, remove the iron and let the joint freeze.  Should be all nice and shiny.  It'll come with practise.

Now on to the next one.  One hundred, that is...   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

aron

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
BTW: the soldering job looks much much better than my first project!

mistahead

• Awesome!
  • I don't have a shame gland... fortunately.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
Soldering job looks better than my last project...

Great stuff mate, the soldering is a the hurdle that makes dreams into toys.

I use a braid made from old copper stereo wire - more "exact" again - try it out.

Jdansti

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »
Congratulations!

If you want to learn more about soldering, I recommend this video:

R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

duck_arse

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
doesn't matter how it works, just what you can build with the parts when you disassemble it ......
".... just enough bling hardware to complement the quiet textured slip-proof pants ...." - customer appraisal of last pedal build.

Thecomedian

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »
you'll get better at wiring small parts as you go along. It's a practicable skill, and you can also use tools to help, like pliers and tweezers. Do you have a pair of "helping hands" yet? They can be pretty useful when working with tight objects and trying to get parts on the board without burning yourself.  :icon_biggrin:
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.