Author Topic: I have a tone control, not a boost!  (Read 11966 times)

graylensman

I have a tone control, not a boost!
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
I built the beginner project, and it works...sort of. I have bypass, I have signal when switched on. But I don't have boost! It's acting more like a tone control: turn the knob clockwise and the treble in the signal increases. I looked over my work, and I can't see any errors, but clearly there's something I missed.

Can anyone point me in the proper direction to troubleshoot this? Many thanks!

Gus

graylensman

Re: I have a tone control, not a boost!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »
thanks! I'll go through the steps in the next few days and report back. 

Thecomedian

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:23:26 PM »
Did you have an original schematic you worked from?

can you post that schematic?

can you post a current schematic of it? Trace the connections and draw out the physical connections on a sheet of paper. You might see the problem immediately, but you can also post it and see if we can see the problem.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

graylensman

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:24:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to get to this this week. But of course, I said that last week... :icon_rolleyes:

graylensman

Re: I have a tone control, not a boost! - TROUBLESHOOT REPORT
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »
Okay - reporting the info. I'm not sure some of it makes sense....

The schematic is the Beginner Booster Project from right here at DIYStompboxes. It's supposed to boost volume, but my circuit is acting as a tone control.

There are no modifications to the circuit. There are no parts substitutions. I used a fresh battery, which tested at 8.00. Voltage at circuit board positive end: 7.97. Voltage at circuit board negative end: 0.00.

This circuit uses only one transistor. This is where it gets weird. The expected values (according to the schematic) for Q1: C=6.84, B = 2.82, E=2.19. The values I measured are: C=7.50, B=.943, E=.435.
Additionally, the schematic shows a value where four resistors meet = 2.83. I measured 1.326.

As far as I can tell, my connections are good, all components are connected as indicated in the schematic (and through the tutorial). The bypass functions properly, and the LED lights up like it should.

Obviously, looking for some help.  THANKS AGAIN!

duck_arse

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
measure the voltage at the point marked "2.83", and then check your resistor values and soldering in that area to see why this voltage is wrong.

does the voltage at your emitter change when you turn the boost pot? if it does, you have the pot wiring wrong.

good luck, and feel free to show us photos of your work, it often helps.
".... just enough bling hardware to complement the quiet textured slip-proof pants ...." - customer appraisal of last pedal build.