your choice of 3pdt wiring and why?

Started by deadastronaut, August 25, 2013, 04:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMonk

Quote from: GGBB on August 26, 2013, 09:09:58 AM
Quote from: GGBB on August 26, 2013, 08:40:42 AM

It's quite nice this one - with a couple of rearrangements you can get some very neat wiring:

Not functionally symmetrical, but I love the physical symmetry and how all the leads are on the outsides and especially that there's no lead coming off the center lug.

I really like that one.

Buzz

I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

darron

i went with a layout that better matched where the wires were going from/to and not having to cross over each other. that one just posted though is the neatest i've seen for doing the link positions.

sorry for the top pic, it's attached to the bottom one:

(las gut-shot photo)

in near the jack in, pcb in on the left, pcb out on the right (so not crossing). LED near LED etc.

and yes, that bottom/middle one could be eliminated, but it doesn't hurt to keep it too.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

DIMstompboxes

Quote from: GGBB on August 26, 2013, 09:09:58 AM
Quote from: GGBB on August 26, 2013, 08:40:42 AM

It's quite nice this one - with a couple of rearrangements you can get some very neat wiring:

Not functionally symmetrical, but I love the physical symmetry and how all the leads are on the outsides and especially that there's no lead coming off the center lug.

Can that center upper lug be use and not be wasted for another output jack like for example two output like pseudo stereo 2 output?
One output stay in the main pedal chain and the other one output direct straight into second channel of the amplifier OR another amplifier  ::)

rousejeremy

Quote from: GGBB on August 25, 2013, 10:06:30 AM
The third pole adds circuit grounding capabilities to the three DPDT configurations RG points to.  There are four possible grounding options - none, input, ouput, and both:

There are more than four ways to wire the switch, but there are only four things they can do (assuming true bypass and the third pole is for grounding and LED).  I use the circuit input grounding above - nice and symmetrical - wiring lays out neatly.

I use the upper right. I hat running jumpers on 3pdt switches. Sometimes I get full of coffee or beer and make little burns on the surrounding wires, not that it has an effect on the function of the pedal, I just hate seeing sh*t like that in pedals.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

davent

I've been using Darron's fig.b but move the various sections' orientation around based on where i want the led to be relative to the switch.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

deadastronaut

interesting...

i used to use upper right,(above)  but now i use ''wiring 5'' (tonepad) just seems less poppy so far...
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Paul Marossy

I've been using the grounded circuit input 3DPT wiring scheme since at least 2004.

On distortion pedals, if you ground the circuit input it's not likely to be sitting there oscillating while in bypass mode. Happened to me on my first Shaka Tube build and it somehow caused a whining sound sound when it was in bypass mode, it was due to the circuit oscillating with no input. I changed over then and never looked back. I do it now on everything I build.

GGBB

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on August 27, 2013, 11:49:12 AM
Can that center upper lug be use and not be wasted for another output jack like for example two output like pseudo stereo 2 output?
One output stay in the main pedal chain and the other one output direct straight into second channel of the amplifier OR another amplifier  ::)

The only thing I can see that unused lug being used for is to direct the input signal to something else (a direct out maybe) in addition to the existing output jack when in bypass mode only.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 27, 2013, 12:16:56 PM
interesting...

i used to use upper right,(above)  but now i use ''wiring 5'' (tonepad) just seems less poppy so far...

Hmmm - I wonder why - they are functionally the same.  There is technically one less switching operation (3 versus 4 not counting LED) in the Tonepad version - maybe that accounts for something.
  • SUPPORTER

DIMstompboxes

Quote from: GGBB on August 27, 2013, 02:49:09 PM
Quote from: DIMstompboxes on August 27, 2013, 11:49:12 AM

The only thing I can see that unused lug being used for is to direct the input signal to something else (a direct out maybe) in addition to the existing output jack when in bypass mode only.

Yes mate, this is what I meant. Direct the input signal to the second output (DRY) for another guitar amplifier. So I should only extend that input lug to unused lug isn't it?

GGBB

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on August 28, 2013, 12:09:35 AM
Yes mate, this is what I meant. Direct the input signal to the second output (DRY) for another guitar amplifier. So I should only extend that input lug to unused lug isn't it?

I'm not sure what exactly you want to do, but if you connect something to the unused lug, it will receive the input signal but only when in bypass mode.  So it will have the same signal as the output jack when bypassed.  If you just run that to second jack, it will not be "dry" signal as opposed to wet signal because the output jack will have the same bypass signal, and when the pedal is on, that lug will have no signal at all.  Also, it is a passive split, so running both jacks into separate amps could be a problem.
  • SUPPORTER

DIMstompboxes

Quote from: GGBB on August 28, 2013, 07:51:07 AM
Quote from: DIMstompboxes on August 28, 2013, 12:09:35 AM

I'm not sure what exactly you want to do, but if you connect something to the unused lug, it will receive the input signal but only when in bypass mode.  So it will have the same signal as the output jack when bypassed.  If you just run that to second jack, it will not be "dry" signal as opposed to wet signal because the output jack will have the same bypass signal, and when the pedal is on, that lug will have no signal at all.  Also, it is a passive split, so running both jacks into separate amps could be a problem.

So in that case, output for tuner when bypassed can?

GGBB

Quote from: DIMstompboxes on August 29, 2013, 05:57:26 AM

Yes - you could do that.  But then your tuner is always connected to your signal chain whenever the pedal is bypassed.  True-bypass purists probably wouldn't like that.
  • SUPPORTER

DIMstompboxes

Quote from: GGBB on August 29, 2013, 10:41:55 AM
Quote from: DIMstompboxes on August 29, 2013, 05:57:26 AM

Yes - you could do that.  But then your tuner is always connected to your signal chain whenever the pedal is bypassed.  True-bypass purists probably wouldn't like that.

Thanks GGBB, there's a 4pdt application thread just right now, can you further pleae help me to that thread because I'm going to post my up coming project over there TIA.
Sorry to the TS you can continue the discussion.