The Old Price vs Quality Debate

Started by timd, August 28, 2013, 09:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcane Analog

Edit: Double Post

Arcane Analog

Exactly my point - along with all of the other strikes against the Tayda jack. You should not have to explain the difference between the two jacks because you should not be using the Tayda jack for a pedal you are selling someone. It is one thing to consciously choose to use cheap crap in pedals for your own use but to choose to put those in a pedal you are taking money for is just wrong.

Quote from: armdnrdy on September 03, 2013, 01:06:12 PM
I don't know how after seeing these images anyone could sell a pedal to a customer with a clear conscience using the Tayda jacks.  ???

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Arcane Analog on September 03, 2013, 05:28:40 PM
Exactly my point - along with all of the other strikes against the Tayda jack. You should not have to explain the difference between the two jacks because you should not be using the Tayda jack for a pedal you are selling someone. It is one thing to consciously choose to use cheap crap in pedals for your own use but to choose to put those in a pedal you are taking money for is just wrong.

Quote from: armdnrdy on September 03, 2013, 01:06:12 PM
I don't know how after seeing these images anyone could sell a pedal to a customer with a clear conscience using the Tayda jacks.  ???

My only response is cost of multi sourcing, granted I am not making pedals for others unless someone happens to ask of course.

Then I just grab the stuff I know works.

I would love to order from smallbear more often, but the shipping and cost of the enclosures hurts my wallet. Granted it's hard to beat Asian when it comes to shipping.

And the last set of enclosures I've received from tayda are perfect. the lid fits perfectly and the enclosure seems much higher quality then the others i've picked up from other sources.

I have never had a true hammond enclosure though. Cant afford it
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Arcane Analog

For those that do build and sell pedals you have to remember that your reputation is worth more than saving pennies on a few essential parts. One pissed off customer putting up a stink on TGP or eBay will hurt you more than paying a few more dollars for quality components.

armdnrdy

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on September 03, 2013, 05:49:12 PM

My only response is cost of multi sourcing, granted I am not making pedals for others unless someone happens to ask of course.

Then I just grab the stuff I know works.

I would love to order from smallbear more often, but the shipping and cost of the enclosures hurts my wallet. Granted it's hard to beat Asian when it comes to shipping.

And the last set of enclosures I've received from tayda are perfect. the lid fits perfectly and the enclosure seems much higher quality then the others i've picked up from other sources.

I have never had a true hammond enclosure though. Cant afford it

I don't use true Hammonds either...they are overpriced.

When I decided to not use the Tayda jacks any longer I looked around on the net to find the best deal I could find for quality jacks.
Once I found a good price I ordered a small quantity of 12 for stock. I paid for shipping just once. I found the best price for Neutrik NYS229 at Allied Electronics for 89 cents each.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70088590 

My main supplier is Tayda....but they do not stock everything. No delay ICs, no companders, no vactrols, no rotary switches, etc.
Whenever I write up a BOM for a new project, there is always something that I have to get from another supplier.
When I have to make a purchase from another supplier, I fill out the order with things I commonly use that Tayda doesn't stock.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Pojo

Actually, just a small fyi in case you didn't see this (sorry for off the main topic). Tayda does have the pt2399 for cheap, and all the ones I've gotten work great!

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/pt2399-2399-echo-audio-processor-guitar-ic.html

Back on topic, earlier in this thread I said I would update with the Tayda jacks I just got. I have to say that they actually seem ok. The plug tip fits snug with the 'V' lining up perfectly in the notch of the plug. No issues with the threading. Just have to see over time how it holds up with wear & tear.

This thread has got me thinking about how I'm gonna continue to source parts. I really want to try http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/ for my next hardware order since his prices for many items beat Tayda and shipping isn't bad either. So between Tayda and them I would have 99% of my needs covered without feeling like I'm skimping on quality.

armdnrdy

Quote from: Pojo on September 04, 2013, 10:09:23 AM
Actually, just a small fyi in case you didn't see this (sorry for off the main topic). Tayda does have the pt2399 for cheap, and all the ones I've gotten work great!

the Tayda jacks I just got. I have to say that they actually seem ok. The plug tip fits snug with the 'V' lining up perfectly in the notch of the plug. No issues with the threading. Just have to see over time how it holds up with wear & tear.

Thanks for the heads up about the digital delay ICs but I should have been more specific. Tayda does not stock BBD ICs.

Try this with the jack that you just received. Put a 1/4" phone plug into it and push it in all of the way. The tip connection will line up if the plug is not in completely.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Pojo

Quote from: armdnrdy on September 04, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
Thanks for the heads up about the digital delay ICs but I should have been more specific. Tayda does not stock BBD ICs.

Try this with the jack that you just received. Put a 1/4" phone plug into it and push it in all of the way. The tip connection will line up if the plug is not in completely.

Ah yes, no I don't see them carrying BBD's anytime soon :)

For the jacks, I really hope I don't come of as at all biased here...because I'm certainly not. I'm new enough to the game where many parts are only being tried for the first time and many more I've never tried at all. And I have no clue how anything will hold up in the long term yet. But I have to say, they're in completely with the tips lining up rather nicely. The stereo input jack holds the plug picture perfect, and the mono output jack tip connector lines up in a way that pushes the plug out ever so slightly...I'm talking a small fraction of a mm here. I could have very well gotten lucky this time, but my first impression is a good one.

Arcane Analog

Or you can simply add "Inconsistent" to the list of negatives for those jacks.

mremic01

Quote from: Arcane Analog on September 05, 2013, 08:19:27 AM

:icon_rolleyes:

As for Tayda's non-jack parts, their PT2399s have all been legit for me. Seems like some guys got some bad ones from them awhile back, but I've never had an issue. Their JRC4558s are all over the place. I think I've gotten three different kinds and I think some of them are fakes. I got a bad batch of 1N34As a few weeks ago (almost all 50 were shot with 3 or 4 giving me something like .8 instead of .25ish), and Tayda gave me a bit of a hard time when I opened support ticket, but they eventually gave me a refund. They sent me a photo showing me how to test the forward voltage, but they were measuring it backwards and the meter's probes were conspicuously outside of the image. Everything else they've screwed up they made right almost right away without question.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: mremic01 on September 05, 2013, 11:20:41 PM
Quote from: Arcane Analog on September 05, 2013, 08:19:27 AM

:icon_rolleyes:

As for Tayda's non-jack parts, their PT2399s have all been legit for me. Seems like some guys got some bad ones from them awhile back, but I've never had an issue. Their JRC4558s are all over the place. I think I've gotten three different kinds and I think some of them are fakes. I got a bad batch of 1N34As a few weeks ago (almost all 50 were shot with 3 or 4 giving me something like .8 instead of .25ish), and Tayda gave me a bit of a hard time when I opened support ticket, but they eventually gave me a refund. They sent me a photo showing me how to test the forward voltage, but they were measuring it backwards and the meter's probes were conspicuously outside of the image. Everything else they've screwed up they made right almost right away without question.

He did say he uses tayda for many things just not jacks.

mremic01

Sorry, should have separated that post more clearly. The emoticon was in response to the quote. Pojo brought up the PT2399s, and Tayda-sourced ones vs other vendors has come up before. Generally, Tayda's got most stuff for cheaper, but they are kind of inconsistent in what parts they send, or at least for some of them. I stopped buying resistors from them because first is was a crap shoot, and now they pretty much only send chinsy resistors. I'll probably stop getting my 4558s from them too, but the PT2399s have been consistently okay for me.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

Pojo

I was actually wondering about their JRC4558's and how genuine they are. The ones I got have printing on them which looks much different from the ones I'm used to. Anyone know if genuine JRC's have been run with different screen printing, or should they all be the same? Known genuine samples have kind of bold text, with 'JRC' bolder near the center.

Like this:

I can't find an image of the Tayda ones...but I see them pop up in gut shots posted here sometimes. But the letter is all same size and not bold....and strangely enough the KIA4558's I tried have the same style printing....hmmm.

pappasmurfsharem

Pojo

Yepper...I've tried the NJRC and the KIA. Unless I'm misunderstanding, aren't the NJRC's supposed to be the 'real deal' JRCs? Or is it a totally different company?

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Pojo on September 06, 2013, 10:48:52 AM
Yepper...I've tried the NJRC and the KIA. Unless I'm misunderstanding, aren't the NJRC's supposed to be the 'real deal' JRCs? Or is it a totally different company?

They may be labeled NJM

Pojo

I'll have to try and take a photo or two when I get home, they're labeled 'JRC4558D'...but the font of those and the KIA's are the same. So that's what makes me question them. Nothing like other real JRC's I've gotten.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Pojo on September 06, 2013, 11:40:04 AM
I'll have to try and take a photo or two when I get home, they're labeled 'JRC4558D'...but the font of those and the KIA's are the same. So that's what makes me question them. Nothing like other real JRC's I've gotten.

I find that most of my tayda stuff has a "similar" font, that kind of yellow lettering. It rub off pretty easy, although some of my stuff direct from TI has been the same.

So there is a potential that they use multiple 3rd parties to manufacture the parts. For instance with PC's Foxconn build Apple and Dell Mobos. Not necessarily the same factory but you get the idea.

However I'm not sure if that applies here. Maybe someone with more experience dealing with manufacturers could advise.

Ofek Deitch

Quote from: timd on August 28, 2013, 09:02:22 PM
In my latest Tayda order, 9 out of 13 1/4 mono jacks were defective. The threads have a minor defect that you can't notice until you screw the nut down. The nut just keeps spinning and won't get tight enough to hold it to an enclosure.

I tried different nuts I had on hand with the same result. Has anyone had this happen to them? I guess cheaper doesn't anyways mean better. I'll contact customer service and see what happens. Its almost like they bought a big B-stock batch and mixed em in...

It happened to me as well, though with their Stereo Jacks.
Go for Switchcraft, you wont regret it, even if you have to pay a bit more. Makes pedals a lot better.

garcho

I was recently disassembling a patch bay and thought about this thread...

Now that's quality. BBC spared no expense. And now they're gone...  ::)
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"