Bear Goes To Market

Started by smallbearelec, September 01, 2013, 11:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

The Oh My Darlington Rangemaster is the pedal I wanted to build a zillion years ago and didn't know how to. What can I say?--I learn slowly. However, I'm pleased with the ultimate built-in-Brooklyn result. For the moment, we can turn these out one-at-a-time as demand warrants. If it turns out be the flavor-of-the-month, I'll find a way to contract out some of the assembly and only do the final tweaking here. Thanks to all who have supported the parts business, which has given me a living as well as time to think and design.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1427

SD

tubegeek

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

zombiwoof

By the way, Steve sells that cool enclosure separately on his site, I would think many people might be interested in that case for other builds.
It's the "Bare Box #1".
Al

garcho

Bravo Steve!

Quotebuilt-in-Brooklyn

The only way to build!

Hey now, we get by in Chicago alright  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Bill Mountain

Looks cool but I need to hear it on bass!!!

Ben N

Looks like a great way to take advantage of all the low gain Russian germs out there. Well done, Steve.
  • SUPPORTER

smallbearelec

Quote from: Bill Mountain on September 02, 2013, 01:57:51 PM
Looks cool but I need to hear it on bass!!!

Order one and try it! Returnable for refund as long as in re-salable condition.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Ben N on September 02, 2013, 02:10:34 PM
Looks like a great way to take advantage of all the low gain Russian germs out there.

Sure, whatever you can find will work. I have access to large quantities of Sylvania NPN types that work well and are cheap for now. That will change in time if this kind of build becomes commercially popular, but I have stockpiled enough to cover my butt for awhile. They are available separately in the store.

If you can only get PNP Russian types, try the Sziklai configuration. Use a low-gain NPN Fairchild "dot" for Q1 and the PNP germanium for Q2. Cheeep, and sounds like the "expensive spread."

zombiwoof

Steve, does the "tone" pot choose the range of the boost, like the 3-position range switches on some other Rangemaster clones?.
Al

smallbearelec

Quote from: zombiwoof on September 02, 2013, 09:25:30 PM
does the "tone" pot choose the range of the boost, like the 3-position range switches on some other Rangemaster clones?.

Yes. I used the "faux variable capacitor" idea in parallel with the input cap. The standard build uses continuous rotation, but I have appropriate pots with 11 detents if somebody has to have click-stops.