FV-1 Multi effect full forum project ready to go. (ShimmerVerb Also)

Started by Ice-9, September 08, 2013, 09:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice-9

Quote from: Digital Larry on October 27, 2017, 03:12:58 PM
Quote from: Ashura on October 27, 2017, 02:55:07 PM
Sorry for ignorance, but why use a MOSFET instead of a diode in this project?
In general, a MOSFET will have lower forward voltage drop than a diode, which is probably not important in this circuit since it would regulate 9V down to 3.3V for the FV-1 anyway.  I don't know if there are parts of the circuit that operate at 9V - if so, then there might be a benefit to using the MOSFET approach.  I use a diode on my own FV-1 board.  If a MOSFET and resistor(s) are cheaper than a diode that might be a rationale as well.

Yes the op amps work at 9v , only the FV-1 chip and eeprom/pic run at 3.3v. The Mosfet has almost zero voltage drop opposed to a standard diode drop of 0.7v (ish).

@ Ashura, yes the single sided board has a solder in place dc jack in that area. If you open the file in diptrace click on the 3d view it may show many of the components in place so it will become more obvious what goes where.
The double sided board is easier to build and set up, my advice would be to buy the pcb from oshpark to build the project, but if you decide to etch your own single sided pcb , be aware that I have no documents other than what you have already downloaded available anymore, (lost off hard drive and deleted from photobucket).
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Ashura

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 27, 2017, 06:34:36 PM
The double sided board is easier to build and set up, my advice would be to buy the pcb from oshpark to build the project, but if you decide to etch your own single sided pcb , be aware that I have no documents other than what you have already downloaded available anymore, (lost off hard drive and deleted from photobucket).

Thank you Mick.
Looking at this double-sided PCB, it seems to me that it could be made on a single face with all the components it currently has. Could you tell me why you preferred to do it double-faced since it could apparently be done on a single face?

Ice-9

Quote from: Ashura on October 29, 2017, 02:38:13 PM

Thank you Mick.
Looking at this double-sided PCB, it seems to me that it could be made on a single face with all the components it currently has. Could you tell me why you preferred to do it double-faced since it could apparently be done on a single face?

It would be possible to get that all one sided with some jiggling around of tracks and maybe a couple of parts placement, Why two sided ? well it is cheaper in time for me to have the boards fabbed than to etch and drill all the holes myself these days, with 2 sided it is also neater as any smd parts like the FV-1 are mounted on the top side of the board where as a single sided board would have the smd components on the bottom. Ground planes also would also require a more rework with if redone as single sided.

If you want to have a go at the conversion, go ahead as having the diptrace file is all that is needed. Let us know how you get on.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Ashura

Quote from: Ice-9 on October 29, 2017, 04:55:10 PM
If you want to have a go at the conversion, go ahead as having the diptrace file is all that is needed. Let us know how you get on.

While reading this topic, I could see that you are very patient and reasonable with the people who talked to you. I see you are a good person. By sharing your work so that others can also have access to what you have and behaving well with people, you disseminate knowledge. I saw you repeatedly encouraging and showing interest in what people were doing about your pedal, in such a way that I saw it as something inspiring!

I like the way your final project presents itself. I would be really happy to follow your suggestion and use one of the boards manufactured by oshpark.com, but I'm enthusiastic with the idea of challenging myself to make a PCB of yours and increase my knowledge in the process. I'll try to turn your final design into a single-sided PCB in order to make the manufacturing process homemade, for those who want to make it easier.

I want to ask you one more question before I propose to such a thing, because I would like to make sure that I am working on the correct file:

Is the final file of your project is in the file named "FV-1 Wingnut rev 1.dip"? What is inside the "wingnut project.rar" file and gives rise to PCBs just like in this image? ▼

Ice-9

Quote from: Ashura on November 01, 2017, 09:08:23 AM

I want to ask you one more question before I propose to such a thing, because I would like to make sure that I am working on the correct file:

Is the final file of your project is in the file named "FV-1 Wingnut rev 1.dip"? What is inside the "wingnut project.rar" file and gives rise to PCBs just like in this image? ▼

Hi, The wingnut rar file contains the diptrace file for the two sided pcb that you have posted in the picture. I believe there are two files in the compressed folder both are the same pcb but one of the files has the ground plane removed so that it is easy to view the traces while the other is a complete ready to be made pcb. I'm afraid after my hard drive failure some time ago and photobucket changing policies on posting pictures most of the files I had are lost now. This is a long thread on this project and most of what was originally available is still in the threads but can take some time to find.

I still have plans for a new improved mk2 version which will be a lot better but no time scale on when I ill manage to get it finished.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Ashura

Quote from: Ice-9 on November 01, 2017, 10:48:37 AM
Hi, The wingnut rar file contains the diptrace file for the two sided pcb that you have posted in the picture. I believe there are two files in the compressed folder both are the same pcb but one of the files has the ground plane removed so that it is easy to view the traces while the other is a complete ready to be made pcb. I'm afraid after my hard drive failure some time ago and photobucket changing policies on posting pictures most of the files I had are lost now. This is a long thread on this project and most of what was originally available is still in the threads but can take some time to find.

I still have plans for a new improved mk2 version which will be a lot better but no time scale on when I ill manage to get it finished.

Yes, there are two files as you describe them.
I have all the files you posted, with the exception of those posted on photobucket.
Yes, I am aware of your intention to make a new version of this pedal. I have read about this here somewhere... from which I can not now remember the exact location. Unfortunately I do not see myself as technically able to help with this, otherwise I would help. Maybe in the future...

Speaking of this version of the file without the grounding plan, I believe that without it (the grounding plan) the pedal will not work, right?

pruttelherrie

Quote from: Ice-9 on November 01, 2017, 10:48:37 AMI still have plans for a new improved mk2 version which will be a lot better

Just curious, what kind of flaws do you see and wish to have improved?

Ice-9

Quote from: pruttelherrie on November 01, 2017, 02:04:25 PM
Quote from: Ice-9 on November 01, 2017, 10:48:37 AMI still have plans for a new improved mk2 version which will be a lot better

Just curious, what kind of flaws do you see and wish to have improved?

Not flaws as such but adding a fully analogue dry path, using both outputs for stereo, maybe more EEproms, int/ext fx switch,. better analogue circuitry instead of just buffer in/out. A good start to ponder there.

I know a couple of others are planning on an FV-1 design which might or might not have similar ideas or go even further, what I don't know yet is if these other peoples' ideas will be posted as diy or are commercial builds.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Ice-9

Quote from: Ashura on November 01, 2017, 11:47:02 AM
Quote from: Ice-9 on November 01, 2017, 10:48:37 AM

Speaking of this version of the file without the grounding plan, I believe that without it (the grounding plan) the pedal will not work, right?
Of course, it is only so you can see the trace easier when editing the files. The grounds are all still connected in the diptrace program, just the ground plane has not been placed, if you make the board without the ground plane, well like you said "it won't work".
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

GuitarPhil

Mick, maybe you missed this DipTrace option but if you open the PCB and click on the 'Objects' tab on the right there are a set of tick boxes including one for Copper Pours. If you untick this it hides the copper pours i.e. your ground plane will disappear so you can easily see all your tracks. No need to keep two versions of the pcb file  :)

Phil.

Ice-9

Hi Phil, the two files were uploaded to make it easier for non Diptrace users to see the traces, I Think :icon_wink:  either that or back when the PCB was created I might not have known about the show/hide options. Lol
Great tip  8)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

oip

hello

firstly, thanks so much for this project!  have spent a long while poring over this thread.  i have some specific FV-1 effects i'm keen to try and recreate and put my own touches on.

got some PCBs from osh park, have done some SMD practice, and just got the FV-1 and pickit.  i don't have the little adapter to program surface mount ICs with the pickit though, it's going to take a month to arrive.  so i was thinking of making a first build with a 3way switch instead of the 8way using the PIC.  not sure if anyone's done this, or of the switch wiring - is it SP3T on/on/on, using the 4 holes under IC4?  i can't read the holes from the schematic, and might try to puzzle them out with a multimeter.

also the pots, i've seen 25k and 50k on various posts and BOMs in the thread, will either work?

i think i have my head around the rest of it, just need to put in a quick parts order.

many thanks for any assistance!  really looking forward to getting this going.

Ashura

Quote from: oip on November 15, 2017, 01:05:30 AM
also the pots, i've seen 25k and 50k on various posts and BOMs in the thread, will either work?

Hi oip.
According to a post on page 13, reply #252 of Ice-9, all pots are 50k.
See the parts list posted by Ice-9 at that reply #252 in page 13.

However, in the schematic available in the same response there is indication of potentiometers of 25k. Hey Mick, any light?  :icon_neutral:  :icon_question:

potul

I used 50k linear in my build. Worked well. I think both should work.

oip

many thanks, i guess i will try 50k and see how it goes.  getting the long leg PCB mount pots isn't so easy so it might just be regular pots anyway.

haven't tried puzzling out the switch yet, i might try and program a PIC with the soldering to pins method someone mentioned in this thread.

Ice-9

Quote from: oip on November 20, 2017, 05:40:12 PM
many thanks, i guess i will try 50k and see how it goes.  getting the long leg PCB mount pots isn't so easy so it might just be regular pots anyway.

haven't tried puzzling out the switch yet, i might try and program a PIC with the soldering to pins method someone mentioned in this thread.

All the pots can be anything from 10k to 100k, as long as they are linear it will make no difference. Yes, you could program the pic just by soldering the wires to the chip from the pickit2 programmer, alternatively for 3 effects you could use an on/off/on toggle switch with a couple of resistors to get three position logic without the pic.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

oip

many thanks for clarifying, that's great as i'm sure i have a stash of linear pots around.

been thinking about the PIC and i might also try etching a small pseudo adapter board with pins, and try to stick the contacts mechanically by 'clamping' the chip down onto the board for programming.

just waiting on jacks and the PIC, as of tomorrow-ish i should have all the parts so will give it all a try over the weekend

johno9

New to this thread. Have had no luck finding the main pcb at OSHPark - searched on FV-1, Ice-9, paged thru hundreds of projects.
Is it still available?
Thanks

Rick_CL

Quote from: johno9 on December 19, 2017, 07:12:50 PM
New to this thread. Have had no luck finding the main pcb at OSHPark - searched on FV-1, Ice-9, paged thru hundreds of projects.
Is it still available?
Thanks
https://oshpark.com/profiles/Ice-9

Greetings!

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk