FV-1 Multi effect full forum project ready to go. (ShimmerVerb Also)

Started by Ice-9, September 08, 2013, 09:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashura

Would anyone out there make a video comparing the sound of the Shimmer effect of Goldmine with Strymon Bluesky? And put this in youtobe so we can compare the sounds of the two being played the same chords?

GuitarPhil

If you'd like to combine some of your own Spin hex code with the MemBuilder 'effect' files there is a MemBuilder Technical document that explains how to convert a hex file to a MemBuilder file - all you need is a text editor and the ability to RTM  ;)

The document is available on the Latest Updates Here page of my blog:

https://echotapper.wordpress.com/latest-updates-here/

There is also a blank 'Builder Header' file so you can easily add your own hex code to it and save as a MemBuilder effect file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/28yag7602ijdyxa/Builder%20Header.txt?dl=0

To answer some other questions asked earlier about the Blue Nebula:

• The input is fed to both L and R (summing helps reduce noise) so it's mono, not stereo
  • Dry and Wet are mixed in software

Phil.

MetalGuy

Thanks for your suggestions but I already figured how to extract what I need from an existing hex file.

mightymike1978

Hello Anyone!

I am new here and a newbie to building stompboxes too (I already built/soldered an MS-20-Filter-clone (Jörg Schmitz variant of the René Schmitz-Design) and an Yamaha DB-50-XG-Wavetable-Expander from c't heise.de) ... ;-)

This is a really massive thread and I am at work , so I just want to ask you kindly for any help to find the essential informations to build my own FV-1. Obviously the pics are gone but I was not able to find the schematics nor the BOM or any Code for flashing the IC.

Beside that Lack of all this essential information I found a store where I could buy the PCB for this very interesting reverb stomp box.

I used the forum's search engine but either I was too stupid or it was impossible to find the above mentioned infos here... ;-)

So I am not sure, wether it is an actual project here or wether it has been discontinued.

Question:
Do the schematics, BOM and Code still exist for building my own FV-1 Multi-FX-StompBox, or am I wrong? And where can I find these, if its an actual DIY-project?

I am hopefully looking forward to receive any help in this concern and want to thank you very much in advcance!

Best regards from Bonn,
Michael

potul

Project is active and working. I recently built a couple of pedals.

I copy here a thread index somebody compiled long ago. Useful to find info:

Page 1:
first two instalments plus discussion of programmer
page 5:
#88 PICkit prog connections
#98 ref to 8 pole prog select switch
Page 6:
#105 PIC alternative
#114 BOM
#117 Drill template
Page 8:
#145 PIC code
#146 Echo/Rev code
Page 10:
#188 room reverb
Page 12:
#228 programmer diagramme and instructions Slacker
Page 13:
#250 more on programming
#252 download of project info
#259 asm versions of FV-1 project programs
Page 14:
#263 replace R2 with link allows full 9v to analogue circuitry
#268 using arduino to control footswitch selection of programs
#269 simple echo code
#270 Slacker's BabelFish
Page 19:
#373 distortion algorithm

As you can see, in page 13 you have the code.

mightymike1978

@potul That's good news!!! Thank you very much!!!

Seems like a good idea to aggregate that info in a new thread to ease the access for anyone who's new to the thing... Maybe I'll do that... later... ;-)

Thanks again!

Best regards
Michael

Ice-9

Quote from: mightymike1978 on July 25, 2018, 05:08:16 AM
@potul That's good news!!! Thank you very much!!!

Seems like a good idea to aggregate that info in a new thread to ease the access for anyone who's new to the thing... Maybe I'll do that... later... ;-)

Thanks again!

Best regards
Michael

There is no point in splitting this thread and putting parts in different threads to find, it would just confuse thing more.
Maybe Aron could put the index of pages that Potul has posted as a sticky in the first page/post, or maybe I can compile a post with all the available info with download links that Aron can make as a sticky.(I have found some of the missing pictures from Photobucket).
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Ashura

Quote from: Ice-9 on July 25, 2018, 06:22:13 AM
There is no point in splitting this thread and putting parts in different threads to find, it would just confuse thing more.
Maybe Aron could put the index of pages that Potul has posted as a sticky in the first page/post, or maybe I can compile a post with all the available info with download links that Aron can make as a sticky.(I have found some of the missing pictures from Photobucket).

I agree with Ice-9 about keeping everything in this topic. While I've been looking for information about the Shimmer effect, in the past, I've found a lot of information spread over the internet and I can safely say that this topic is one of the most interesting, because the information is all in one place.

I think the index is a good idea.

I'd like to see these photos, Ice-9.  :D

Hello mightymike1978, welcome. If you have a little time that you can use to calmly read the whole topic, I can assure you it will be an interesting read. I spent a lot of time reading, but I'm very satisfied. :)

MetalGuy

I finally managed to build a 6 knob version of the project (with Mix and Level controls) so I can use some effects that don't have a mix control on one of the 3 pots. Everything works fine except there is a loud pop when switching between the effects. I didn't pay attention to it when I was testing it at low levels but when I plugged it into my 100W tube head FX loop the problem became obvious.
If I'm going to use only one preset effect on stage (which is the most likely scenario) that's not going to be a problem but if I try to use another effect that will be a huge problem.

So any ideas what could be the problem?

Ice-9

Quote from: MetalGuy on September 26, 2018, 08:19:40 AM
I finally managed to build a 6 knob version of the project (with Mix and Level controls) so I can use some effects that don't have a mix control on one of the 3 pots. Everything works fine except there is a loud pop when switching between the effects. I didn't pay attention to it when I was testing it at low levels but when I plugged it into my 100W tube head FX loop the problem became obvious.
If I'm going to use only one preset effect on stage (which is the most likely scenario) that's not going to be a problem but if I try to use another effect that will be a huge problem.

So any ideas what could be the problem?

I have taken the same approach for the PCB of the new FV-1 project which I am working on with extra controls and seperate dry/wet mix pot and dry kill switch with a stackable PCB for the controls as seen in the pictures below.

I have not had any problems so far with noise when switching between programs that I have noticed, although I have not tested in an FX loop. I will see if I can test this out with my 50W valve amp a little later and let you know.

When changing programs you are effectively altering what signal is on the ADC/DAC's of the DSP so that could cause the pop you are getting, also worth checking through the ASM code of the programs you are using for possible reasons. Do you still get a pop if you change programs even if the pedal is in bypass ?

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

MetalGuy

QuoteDo you still get a pop if you change programs even if the pedal is in bypass ?

No pops when bypassed (3PDT).

Currently I have 5 of the GA_DEMO effects plus Octaver, Another simple delay and a Reverb/Hall.
The loudest pop I get is when I go from Octaver to GA_DEMO_TREM.spn and to Reverb/Hall and back. It seems like that
GA_DEMO_TREM is the problem but this is just a guess.

Ice-9

Quote from: MetalGuy on September 26, 2018, 02:56:20 PM
QuoteDo you still get a pop if you change programs even if the pedal is in bypass ?

No pops when bypassed (3PDT).

Currently I have 5 of the GA_DEMO effects plus Octaver, Another simple delay and a Reverb/Hall.
The loudest pop I get is when I go from Octaver to GA_DEMO_TREM.spn and to Reverb/Hall and back. It seems like that
GA_DEMO_TREM is the problem but this is just a guess.

Ok That might be easy to fix as there was a known issue with the first FV-1 chips and if you look in the GA demo programs you can see that when writing the output to left and right DAC's there is an sof line that corrects the difference between the offsets of the outputs.

Remove the sof lines I have remarked on in the snippet below. (these sof lines are in every GA_Demo program and can be removed). Let me know if this works for you.

;now produce output:

rdax   mono,0.5           ;attenuate signals so as not to clip
mulx   trem
sof   0.75,0      ;boost tremelo to maintain average amplitude
rdax   mono,-0.5
mulx   pot2              ;crossover between input and tremelo with pot2
rdax   mono,0.5
sof   1.999,0      ;recover gain
rdax   revout,1
sof   1,0.2         ; DELETE THIS LINE
wrax   dacl,1
sof   1,-0.4       ; DELETE THIS LINE
wrax   dacr,0

Remove the two lines I have marked  ;DELETE THIS LINE
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

MetalGuy

MetalGuy

I deleted the two lines you pointed to and the problem is gone.
Still some clicks between the GA effects but not so loud.
I guess I can go ahead and delete the same lines in all other GA effects?

potul

Quote from: Ice-9 on September 26, 2018, 03:26:44 PM

Ok That might be easy to fix as there was a known issue with the first FV-1 chips and if you look in the GA demo programs you can see that when writing the output to left and right DAC's there is an sof line that corrects the difference between the offsets of the outputs.

I wasn't aware of this issue.... So the software was adding some DC offset to compensate for a hardware issue?

Ice-9

Quote from: MetalGuy on September 27, 2018, 06:03:44 AM
I deleted the two lines you pointed to and the problem is gone.
Still some clicks between the GA effects but not so loud.
I guess I can go ahead and delete the same lines in all other GA effects?

Yes you can delete these two lines in all the GA_Demo programs
Quote from: potul on September 27, 2018, 07:57:37 AM
Quote from: Ice-9 on September 26, 2018, 03:26:44 PM

I wasn't aware of this issue.... So the software was adding some DC offset to compensate for a hardware issue?

The DC offset issue I believe was fixed BEFORE the FV-1 was released, so was only in the testing phase IIRC. The DC offset fix seen in the GA_Demo programs was not updated in the code so I suppose they really could do with an update to remove the pre release DC offset fix.

Maybe Frank could shed some light on this as he will have all the correct facts about it. I am only repeating what I have read and my information may not be fully accurate.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

octfrank

It was fixed after either the first or second batch of FV-1s, I can't remember if the second boat started before we sent in the mask change. In any case it has been fixed for many years and there is no harm leaving the shift in the code.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

MetalGuy

I reprogrammed the EPROM with the edited GA effects. The one loud pop is completely gone. Still some minor clicks but not between all effects so as a whole the problem is fixed.

Ice-9

Quote from: MetalGuy on September 28, 2018, 03:37:49 AM
I reprogrammed the EPROM with the edited GA effects. The one loud pop is completely gone. Still some minor clicks but not between all effects so as a whole the problem is fixed.

Yes while the GA_Demo programs as are will work just fine, when changing programs they will cause a pop just the same as true bypass can cause a pop due to Dc offset, definitely remove those DC offset lines from the code as it will help with any pop when incrementing programs.
There may always be some pop when changing programs as when you load a new program you will be changing what is on the DAC output, I suppose the way to totally combat this  would be to have a micro control a mute on the out put of the DACS when a program change occurs. I think it all depends on how much of a problem the pop is going to be.  ;)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Tuff Pedals

Hi,

Did anyone see this as a control for program selection - http://www.hexeguitar.com/diy/utility/fv1progsel ?

What is the best option, I can see the topic has been discussed in the past but can't see a definitive solution. If I was to utilise the above solution, where would it connect into the board?

Thanks for a great project, cheers daz