Virtual ground connected to enclosure?

Started by armdnrdy, September 15, 2013, 12:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

Quote from: tubegeek on September 15, 2013, 04:05:22 PM
Also known as "The tragedy of the commons."
I have been sadly remiss in award a coup-count on this one!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

tubegeek

It isn't as much fun when you have to beg for it.

But I'll take it anyway - I have as little shame as the next guy.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

R.G.

Quote from: tubegeek on September 17, 2013, 09:25:36 PM
It isn't as much fun when you have to beg for it.

But I'll take it anyway - I have as little shame as the next guy.
But it really, really was good!  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

PRR

> make +V red, GND black.......oh wait...that's already been done and it's still confusing!

I had a Real Bad Month when I repaired a radio-mixer and the factory had wired it Red=Minus Black=Plus.

> we're stuck with "ground"

Granted.... but it's still a bad word.

> that die-if-you-kiss-the-microphone thing

Are you standing on dirt? (Concrete on dirt?) THEN you wanna know where Earth Ground is.

In many-many zap-lip situations, the stage is non-conductive. The wall-outlet 3rd-pin may even be near dirt-potential, and the Neutral(*) may be close-enough. Or maybe the stage is on one neutral, the PA system on another. (Had that at work.) Just one ungrounded chassis, 2-pin plug, 3rd-pin cut-off, can throw enough leakage to sting.

(*)"Neutral" on a 120V circuit is another poor word, but I'll leave that fight to another day/lifetime.

• SUPPORTER