JCM800 Emulator to bipolar supply

Started by MrStab, September 23, 2013, 01:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrStab

hi,

as no-one's asked me to make them anything this week and i'm a compulsive sort of person, i've decided to try making a simple solid-state amp. i have myself a transformer from an old practise amp (with an unloaded reading of +/-13.8V), and plan to use a TDA2030 recycled from the same amp for the power amp.
i'm being extra-cautious and paranoid as i know from experience that an AC handshake isn't too enjoyable a sensation.

anyway, i'm a Marshall kinda guy. i'm just cliché like that. so i thought i'd get started by making Electric's JCM800 emulator as the preamp. i've recently converted a bass preamp FROM bipolar TO single-rail (thanks to the guys on my Rusty Box thread), but now i want to convert a single-rail circuit TO bipolar.

the ground becomes the negative rail, i know that much (or does it..?!). what about biasing etc? in the aforementioned conversion, vbias became ground, but i'm unsure what to make ground in the JCM800 emu (schematic here: http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff443/gregwbush/jcm800emulationSchematic-electrictabs-addedoutputcapbyFlo.png). any ideas?

surprisingly, the power supply & power amp sections i have in mind seem to be less-confusing than the preamp situation!

cheers loads for any help
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

PRR

It's a single 9V supply.

And a distinctly single-supply circuit. (Unlike your power amp which derives some benefit from supply symmetry.)

Derive +9V from your large positive rail and be done with it.

Because it uses the drain-trim instead of source trim, the power suckage could be 2mA to 25mA, and will vary in trimming. So you can't do the simple thing: a voltage-drop resistor. You could run a resistor to a 9V Zener to pass >30mA no-load, but that's a hot Zener, especially since your raw voltage will vary a lot between wall-wander and power amp surging. So I guess a 7809 or similar.
  • SUPPORTER

MrStab

Quote from: PRR on September 23, 2013, 02:17:50 AM
Derive +9V from your large positive rail and be done with it.

that had not even occurred to me.

so from what i gather, ground is ground throughout all three sections (post-transformer). a 7809 would be my preferred route, i have a coupla 9.1V zeners on hand but i've seen them readily melt, particularly when used in series. i'll need to get a bunch of regulators for when i kill the first few with the lack of a heatsink... (will be sinking the TDA ofc)

thanks!
Recovered guitar player.

duck_arse

melting zeners, there's something I've never seen. sounds like they mave have been pointing the wrong way.
don't make me draw another line.

Bill Mountain

My only thought is...do you know the input impedance of the power amp or does your preamp have a buffered output?

PRR

> 9.1V zeners on hand but i've seen them readily melt

Do you know what you are doing? Zeners need resistors.
  • SUPPORTER

J0K3RX

um... pretty sure that JCM800 preamp will run on 18v if your caps are rated as such...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

MrStab

Quote from: PRR on September 23, 2013, 03:59:11 PM
Do you know what you are doing? Zeners need resistors.

this was back before i had actually read an article informing me of such, but for all intents & purposes, i probably still don't know what i'm doing lol. i've successfully used other values of zeners since, thankfully. just thought it was worth mentioning as i hadn't seen other diodes do this, but then i guess they have different applications. i thought it was a "known" thing, evidently it was just my stupidity.

after some frustration with the JCM emulator, on a whim i decided to go for an Xotic BB Preamp with a clean (ie. no diodes) option and a slightly-modded LPB1 gain stage afterwards (1uF caps & 2.2k instead of 390R to NPN Emitter). as a preamp, it sounds pretty damn badass. now i'm just having trouble with the power amp - both circuits work by themselves, but my transformer sags like crazy when both are hooked up - i think i need to score some 1/2W 100R resistors for the power supply filter (as opposed to the 330 i'm using now) and my TDA2030 might be dead. not sure if this is due a different thread or not. i'll do some reading, just not sure where to start looking. http://sound.westhost.com/project04.htm is a good link.
Recovered guitar player.