SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Small amp.

Started by Dormammu, October 24, 2023, 10:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dormammu

Hi folks.
I found the TDA 1557Q chip.
I want to make a 2 channel small practice amp.
Anyone familiar with this chip — it requires a Zobel network ?
All diagramm i found did not had it.

ElectricDruid

Not familiar with it, but I can read a datasheet like the next person ;)

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/TDA1557Q.pdf

And no, no zobel network. The datsheet would show it if it was required.

A "2 channel" guitar amp is usually two *pre-amp* paths (one clean, one dirty) which then feed a single (mono) power amp. This chip is a stereo power amp.

Perhaps that's not a problem. Use both power amps in parallel, each driving one speaker. Bonus points if you can add a effects send/return loop that accepts a stereo input so that you can use it for spacious reverbs, wide choruses, and so on.

The parts you'll need to decide are what the two channels look like and how you're doing the power supply.

Dormammu

Thanks for the answer.
I'm not going to build anything special, I'll take a standard stereo circuit, it will also be used as a regular amp for music.
I asked about the Zobel network, because about 15+ years ago had an amplifier for repair with a similar circuit (some kind of TDA), which had self-excitation. After adding the Zobel network, the problem was solved.

patricks

If you're using it as a regular amp for music as well as guitar, you'll need either a speaker sim/some other filtering on the guitar output to use with regular speakers, different speakers for guitar vs other music, or use an FX unit that comes with a simulated output to run into the amplifier.
Otherwise a speaker suitable for regular music will sound too harsh/fizzy with a guitar signal, or a speaker suitable for guitar will roll off too much high end (and affect the EQ in other ways, depending on the speaker) with regular music :)

Dormammu

Quote from: patricks on October 24, 2023, 09:23:37 PMIf you're using it as a regular amp for music as well as guitar, you'll need either a speaker sim/some other filtering on the guitar output to use with regular speakers, different speakers for guitar vs other music, or use an FX unit that comes with a simulated output to run into the amplifier.
Otherwise a speaker suitable for regular music will sound too harsh/fizzy with a guitar signal, or a speaker suitable for guitar will roll off too much high end (and affect the EQ in other ways, depending on the speaker) with regular music :)
That's not what interests me.
For practice, any amp is suitable for me.
In fact, I have an amp on TDA2005 and it has a Zobel network.

antonis

If you insist for Zobel network, then you have to place two of them, due to bridged amp configuration.. :icon_wink: 
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Dormammu

Quote from: antonis on October 25, 2023, 04:15:37 PMIf you insist for Zobel network, then you have to place two of them, due to bridged amp configuration.. :icon_wink: 
I don't insist on anything, I asked the question in the hope that there would be a person more familiar with this chip.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Dormammu on October 25, 2023, 06:00:14 PMI don't insist on anything, I asked the question in the hope that there would be a person more familiar with this chip.
No, no zobel network. The datasheet says not, and that's the authority.

amptramp

Quote from: antonis on October 25, 2023, 04:15:37 PMIf you insist for Zobel network, then you have to place two of them, due to bridged amp configuration.. :icon_wink: 

It doesn't appear to be used in this case, but a Zobel network is placed across the speaker to flatten out the rising impedance (inductance) of the speaker coil with frequency.  They go across the speaker, not from high side to ground.

PRR

There are several reasons to run "Zobels". If the amp is unstable (many are), and you do a two-fer bridge, you are liable to need two networks. OTOH if the amplifier hates inductive loads (tranny amps rarely care much) then one Zobel across the bridged speaker may be fine.

IAC, I'd go with what the maker says. The maker knows a lot about the part, and has an incentive to make you happy (so you spend more bucks).
  • SUPPORTER

Dormammu

Thanks to everyone who responded.  :icon_idea:
╰(▔∀▔)╯  ╰(▔∀▔)╯