Noobish output question

Started by Microtone, October 05, 2023, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Microtone

I made a very gnarly overdrive by basically sticking together two overdrive circuits one after the other.
It sounds great but is roasting the amp because the output is so loud.
Is there an easy way to lower the output without compromising the tone? Or do I need to get into the nitty gritties of the entire circuit as a whole entity?

antonis

Could you plz post a schematic,,?? :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Microtone

Quote from: antonis on October 05, 2023, 05:26:24 PMCould you plz post a schematic,,?? :icon_wink:
Thanks for the quick response. I don't really have one of the whole circuit, it's just breadboard, but it's essentially just two ehx muff fuzzes Stück together as in the attached schematic for just one.

toneman

Hello.
Have you seen the PAIA Quadrafuzz??
Maybe you just need a mixer to mix the 2 fuzzes??

Hey Aron, the "quick edit" thingie WORKS!!!
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

RickL

Am I missing something? There is a volume pot at the end of that circuit that will turn the output level down to nothing. Even with two in a row, with the volume pot turned all the way down there should be no sound.

Is the issue that the pot is too sensitive as you turn it down? Hard to go from just a little too loud to completely off? If so, try replacing the volume pot with a smaller value and a series resistor between the pot and C3, so the total resistance is still pretty close to 100k. Say a 50k pot and a 47k resistor or a 10k pot and a 91k or 100k resistor. It will be like having a 100k pot with all the adjustability between, respectably, 0 ohms and 50k ohms or 0 ohms and 10k ohms.

antonis

Quote from: Microtone on October 05, 2023, 05:09:45 PMIt sounds great but is roasting the amp because the output is so loud.

Despite the number of cascaded circuits, output amplitude can't be higher than 200mVRMS (about 550mVp-p)..
(for D1/D2 Ge diodes..)

What's your amp input sensitivity..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Welcome....are you really 'roasting the amp', or are you feeding an already clipped signal from the first boost into the 2nd, resulting in that massive fart sound of too much distortion?  That can really sound like poo.
Solution would be to lower the output and drive of the 1st one to taste.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

this thread has been split, interested parties may continue the divergence here:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?msg=1274731
don't make me draw another line.

merlinb

If you already have an output volume pot it sounds like you may be using a linear taper pot, which is hard to adjust. Find a logarithmic pot.