Deacy, Maplin LT44 and LT700 and Impedance

Started by mac, September 26, 2013, 12:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

I bought some Maplin LT44 and LT700 while visiting London a few weeks ago.
I intend to use them in a Deacy/Mullard amp.

http://www.diale.org/deacy.html

Specs are as follow,
driver LT44: 20k:1k+1k
output LT700: 1k2+1k2:3.2

Voltage ratios are higher than those noted in the Mullard schem and others I have, mostly 3 to 1.

Possibly this transformers will work, but with higher impedance ratios, must bias adjustments be made to get the most of them  :icon_question:

The driver has a primary of 20k.
Is it correct to estimate the driver transistor output impedance by assuming a voltage drop across it of 9v - (some emiter and driver wiring resistance), say 7v to 8v, and then divinding by 20k to get the bias current :icon_question:

Same for the output transistors, almost 9v/1k2=7.5ma  :icon_question:

What about the driver secondaries and the base impedance  :icon_question:

Any help is welcome!

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Kipper4

I bought my transformers from hte chezc republic on ebay.
I had to change the legs around on the iterstage transformer as initially all i got was a noise.
A friend who made a simultanious build made the suggestion and it work.
I intend to replace them with the better transformers from the place i bought the kit at (Knight Audio technology) (not affilaited) when i have the spare money.
The cheap ones are ok but i think the others will be way closer to the real deacy sound.
I know pish about transformers so i cant help with your enquiry Mac Sorry
I hope this helps all the same
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

mac

I know these transformers are cheap, but maplin was a few block away from my hotel  :icon_mrgreen:

Mouser ones look better, but I have no intentions to fly to the States by now  8)

mac

Kipper4

I'm uk based.
I could have travelled 20 miles to a maplin. Instead i ordered online.
Most companys will ship world wide now and its often cheaper to shop abroad.
I wasnt having a go at the transformers. I just want to try the others. I will be gutted if i pay 3 times the price i paid just to find out they're no better.
I hope the leg swap thing helps if you run into trouble. IIRC i was getting a pulsating noise.

Grey Paper.

PRR

> 8v, and then divinding by 20k to get the bias current

That's an OK match for the nominal impedance you have.

It does not ensure you have enough driver power to push the output stage.

However it looks like the OT impedance is higher than the Deacy used. So it should need less drive power.

Also I suspect that what you got IS the iron for a small transistor radio, same circuit as the Deacy, but lower power (for longer battery life). Since either-way this isn't Stadium Power, you will be using it for "tone", not loudness. A bit less loudness is not a problem.

I'd run a full milli-Amp in the driver. You can afford the power, and it gives a little reserve.
  • SUPPORTER

tca

Quote from: mac on September 26, 2013, 12:14:49 PM
I intend to use them in a Deacy/Mullard amp.

http://www.diale.org/deacy.html
ah, you found my pages on the Deacy... I'm glad they are useful to someone!

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

mac

QuoteHowever it looks like the OT impedance is higher than the Deacy used. So it should need less drive power.

Also I suspect that what you got IS the iron for a small transistor radio, same circuit as the Deacy, but lower power (for longer battery life). Since either-way this isn't Stadium Power, you will be using it for "tone", not loudness. A bit less loudness is not a problem.

These small irons have plenty of sustain and some cream-iness, but with the speakers I'm using I'm not close to the Deacy tone.
Compared to a big 3:1 OT I wired myself Maplin OT has less power.
My hand-made iron is louder and creamy, but more like a Marshall than a Deacy  ???

QuoteThat's an OK match for the nominal impedance you have.
It does not ensure you have enough driver power to push the output stage.
I'd run a full milli-Amp in the driver. You can afford the power, and it gives a little reserve.

If I understood you right, you mean that I should forget the nominal matching and put more current in the driver primary to have more current and power in the secondaries and bases of the output transistors?

How critical is matching transistors here?
I have a set of hfe matched ac187 and bd139 at low currents.
I'm not getting similar collector voltages,
and whenever I put excess current in their bases by adjusting base bias, one gets hot and the other cold.
I guess they should be in thermal contact, or I should match at higher currents.

Quoteah, you found my pages on the Deacy... I'm glad they are useful to someone

:)

BTW, Arsenio Novo circuit is great! I modded it to get the most of it, octave up included. See my gallery.

PRR

> hfe matched

You really want Vbe match, at some low current like 1mA.

You really want "identical" devices: same die-area, preferably from the same batch.
  • SUPPORTER

Kipper4

The Deacy is a pretty dark amp all told. Stick a treble screamer in front of it. IMO sounds great.
Did you make the direct record/headphones amp too?

Grey Paper.

mac

QuoteYou really want Vbe match, at some low current like 1mA.

You really want "identical" devices: same die-area, preferably from the same batch.

I came to that conclusion yesterday while looking at the schematic more closely.
Until I find a Vbe matched set, I put two 10k-b pots at the bases to find the sweet spot.
I just set one to say 2k2 or so, and fine tune with the other by ear or until I get 0v from C to C.  If secondaries have the same resistance the current is almost equal in both halves.

QuoteThe Deacy is a pretty dark amp all told. Stick a treble screamer in front of it. IMO sounds great.
Did you make the direct record/headphones amp too?

I have to make a live recording and/or use the pignose-like aux out.
But I have to tweak a little more.
And plug my RM :)

mac

mac

With due respect to Mr Deacon and Mr May, I recorded a quick sound demo using Maplin transformers and two parallel 4" x 8 ohms small Aiwa cabs.
Breadboard background motorboating included  ;D

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/mac/sound+demos+of+my+circuits/waltz.mp3.html

I'm breadboarding using 4 x AC187. I modded the output pair bias by using a fixed 2k7 at one base, a 5k-b pot at the other base to adjust bias current at both halves of the transformer, and a 100 ohm pot instead of the 39 ohm.
The transistors are slightly warm @ 7v.
The rest is similar except for a 4k7 between the 1st and 2nd stages.

Not so bad for 4.98 pounds  :icon_lol:

mac

Kipper4

Grey Paper.

MAPRIDEL

HELLO, I'm writing to you because I'm riding a deacy amp.
I have the lt44 and lt700, but I'd like to mount the plate with the original transformers.
you could pass me the link to buy them.
many thanks and greetings

mac

QuoteI have the lt44 and lt700, but I'd like to mount the plate with the original transformers.
you could pass me the link to buy them.

I'm not sure if the guy who discovered that the Deacy circuit was a Supersonic PR80 radio made in Zimbawe in the 60s, or a clone of it in the UK, sells transformers similar to the originals.
I have the schem of that radio. The output transformer is not similar to Maplin or Mouser ones. Looks like an auto transformer.

mac