Alesis Microverb 1 - anyone familiar?

Started by HelpingFriendly, September 30, 2013, 09:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HelpingFriendly

Hi
So I was wondering if anyone has ever done any mods to an Alesis Microverb? I have one and want to improve it if I can for fun and learning purposes. I usually only use the reverse setting so if there is any way to tweek or improve that function that would be fun. Anyone really familiar with the circuit?

slacker

I don't think there much you can do, there's no access to any of the reverb parameters to tweak them, it's all digital.

HelpingFriendly

So here's a question. If I were to change the value of the "mix" pot (which I need to replace) would that have an effect on reaction/frequencies? Right now the "mix" pot is a 10k.  How would a 1K make the "mix" knob react? Darker less treble? Or just have to turn the knob up more to get a normally lower setting? Thoughts?

jimilee

I would think it would make a less dramatic difference so that would could hardly tell was doing anything.

Ice-9

Here is a link to some pictures and info on the Microverb, I'm not too sure but I doubt there is much that could be modded in this unit, a schematic would be nice to look over though.

http://www.wolzow.com/analog/mvii.htm

Edit, I do apologize, the link is for MidiverbII
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

cloudscapes

Pots wired up to a digital circuit such as a microcontroller or DSP are just voltage dividers, split between ground and the digital supply voltage. a 1k pot and a 500k pot will probably be no different, because in the end it's just control voltage between 0 and (probably) 5v.

You might be able to mod it by *adding* bits of circuitry, like a filter just before the output, but there isn't much point in doing that since you could do that just as easily with an external effect.

if you're interested in playing around with reverb and getting your hands dirty, you might want to check out the FV-1
http://www.spinsemi.com/products.html
The dev board is really easy to get started, and there are lots of code examples on forums, but it's still a lot of work. still easier than trying to reverse-engineer the Microverb, though. Often with these kinds of DSP effects, they're either not moddable at all, or modding them require serious skills that even surpass making one from scratch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}