Preamp for Sony Eclecret Condensor mic that required PlugIn power

Started by Rastus, October 29, 2013, 12:28:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rastus

hi all,
I have this mic, Sony ECMMS907 Digital Recording Microphone.  I use it for field/ remote recordings through a minidisc player which provides it with Plug in power.  The mic does not function through a mixing desk, with or without phantom power.  I know this is normal.  Id like to be able to use the mic in my studio and run it straight into pro tools hardware.  AT the moment I have to run it into the minidisc, then run an output from the minidisc to the desk. 
Is there a simple, clean, discrete preamp I can build so I can use this mic in a studio situation?  schematic would be good - vero would be even better :)

Thanks in advance

PRR

> I just did this...

The ECM-MS907 has preamps built-in. And is stereo. The plan you show would require much internal hacking.

The manual I found shows a battery holder for a AA batt which will run 200 hours. Unless you are bugging your enemies, that's gotta be cheaper and quicker (and less hum) than any external rig-up.

Innerestingly the sheet does not say anything about getting power from a DiscMan.

To use it in studio you will need a semi-custom adapter from stereo-mini to two separate outputs.
  • SUPPORTER

tubegeek

Looking at the manual (thanks Paul) I believe I own one of these, I bought it to bootleg concerts with my WM-D6C (Pro Walkman.) If it's the same one, it works wonderfully well off a battery.

Gotta look for & digitize my excellent Stevie Wonder recording from Radio City  - he brought Take6 up on stage for a couple of numbers, they were just getting launched. Great concert...
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR