Mutron Flanger Clone

Started by armdnrdy, November 06, 2013, 12:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

Just printed out the circuit on to 4 pages of A4 and stuck it together, would that make it A2 size??  - now I can read it!!

It's still 26C outside (10pm here) so probably 35C where I'm sitting!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

soulheal

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. When I test for current between those 2 points I get 0.033 volts. I will check the connections in a bit.

Does the metal tab and the circle on the other side of IC12 serve a purpose?

Thanks!

Will 

armdnrdy

Quote from: StephenGiles on August 24, 2016, 05:04:12 PM
Just printed out the circuit on to 4 pages of A4 and stuck it together, would that make it A2 size??  - now I can read it!!

Hey Stephen,

Well...you might have to move yourself to a nice Mediterranean climate....it's 3:10pm here in Costa Mesa, California...nice breeze blowing...temp coming in at 25C.

You had to print out the schematic in four sheets so you can read it? Don't you just hate aging eyes? Mine started going about six years ago! Readers or blind! :icon_frown:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Fender3D

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 24, 2016, 06:16:45 PM
.... Don't you just hate aging eyes? Mine started going about six years ago! Readers or blind! :icon_frown:

You may ask Rob (DA) for a laser treatment with his wha pedals...  :icon_mrgreen:
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

armdnrdy

Quote from: soulheal on August 24, 2016, 05:25:58 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. When I test for current between those 2 points I get 0.033 volts. I will check the connections in a bit.

Thanks!

Will

The hole drilling guide (circle on trace side) and the metal tab on the regulator is to bolt the regulator to a heat sink, or in this case, the board. It's not necessary.
Check the AC voltage between the power input jack and the regulator (IC12) including the rectifier diode. (D11)
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

soulheal

Thanks!

Will do. Will let you know how it goes.

Will

StephenGiles

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 24, 2016, 06:16:45 PM
Quote from: StephenGiles on August 24, 2016, 05:04:12 PM

Hey Stephen,

Well...you might have to move yourself to a nice Mediterranean climate....it's 3:10pm here in Costa Mesa, California...nice breeze blowing...temp coming in at 25C.

You had to print out the schematic in four sheets so you can read it? Don't you just hate aging eyes? Mine started going about six years ago! Readers or blind! :icon_frown:

We had 32 in Croydon yesterday where I work with 90% humidity and no breeze at all - very sticky indeed overnight, our house is like an oven.

Your drawing of this circuit is a work of art - may frame it!!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Govmnt_Lacky

I can definitely attest to the fact that the circuit works as advertised. Built one a while back and it was AWESOME!!!  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

soulheal

Thanks for your comment. I'm sure it will work.
I'm just relatively new to this particular adventure and have some patience to exercise and skills to develop.
I built a kit of the Carlin Phaser pedal from Moody Sounds and it worked great.
The Flanger is next level for me. Did everything from scratch.

Best Regards,

Will

soulheal

Quote from: armdnrdy on August 24, 2016, 07:45:50 PM
Quote from: soulheal on August 24, 2016, 05:25:58 PM
Hi,

Thanks!

Will

The hole drilling guide (circle on trace side) and the metal tab on the regulator is to bolt the regulator to a heat sink, or in this case, the board. It's not necessary.
Check the AC voltage between the power input jack and the regulator (IC12) including the rectifier diode. (D11)

Hi,

I spent an hour and a half messing around with my power supplies and the power jacks. I'm not sure what is going on. It appears that when I initially plug in the power supply, and I measure the voltage, it is 13.60 VAC or so. Then, after a couple minutes, the voltage goes down and is about 2.6 VAC. It varies. Sometimes the reading never gets to 13 VAC and hovers around 2. I'm in over my head here. I spent the money and bought the good quality power supplies from IPHC. They are Output 12VAC 3A max. Input 120VAC, 60Hz, 45W. DC PLUG S2.1*5.5mm.
At first I thought it was that the power jacks were bad, and now I just don't know. I replaced the batteries on my multimeter and got the same result.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your input.

Will

Govmnt_Lacky

If your voltage is going down like you say then that means you are slowly exceeding the max current of the power supply (3A  :o)

If I were you, the FIRST thing I would do is go over the entire circuit and make sure that the regulator is installed correctly, all electro caps are installed correctly, all diodes installed correctly, check all caps for voltage tolerance, check all ICs for proper installation, etc.

Sounds like something is grounded or improperly installed and is draining your power.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

duck_arse

3A going into a pedal means something/s going to be getting HOT!! finding what might help troubleshooting.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

armdnrdy

Duck is correct.

Check (with your finger) for any component that is getting hot to the touch.

If you can't find anything...assuming that the ICs are socketed, I would remove them and check voltage measurement again.

As Greg stated, check the orientation of the voltage regulator. Looking at the component side of the PCB...it should be the writing side of the regulator facing up.

You should take some pictures of both sides of the board and post them.

Many times a few more eyes over your shoulder can be helpful in spotting issues that you've overlooked.

Search the net for an image hosting service like dropbox, learn how to upload pictures to dropbox, right click on the Mona Lisa icon (Insert Image) above the first smiley on the left, something like this will appear on your post. [ img ] [ img] Go to the dropbox folder that contains the image you want to post, left click on the image, right click on "copy public link", center your curser between the two center brackets, [ img ] [ img] and right click. Left click "paste". The image will show up when you left click "post".

soulheal

Thanks for the support!

I have felt that the capacitor is getting quite warm. The voltage regulator is facing up.

It appears that Govt-Lackey is right in something draining the power.

Looks like I will need to go through the whole thing.

I will follow your other suggestion as time permits.

Thanks again for the wisdom!

Will

Govmnt_Lacky

Pull all of the (hopefully socketed) IC chips. This way, you might eliminate where the shorting is occurring -OR- at least you remove the ICs and keep them out of harms way while testing for problems.

soulheal

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on August 28, 2016, 03:33:31 PM
Pull all of the (hopefully socketed) IC chips. This way, you might eliminate where the shorting is occurring -OR- at least you remove the ICs and keep them out of harms way while testing for problems.
OK. Thanks!

Will give it a try as time permits.

Will

Kaifeck

Sorry for the Necropost.

I'd really love to build this flanger, but it seems that the project files are no longer available. All I get is the 404 page. I already searched the web and various other forums but I couldn't find them. Does anybody have the files?

Kaifeck

Thanks for your help, but it seems that the first link you gave me leads me to a "403 Error: It seems you don't belong here!" page and the other leads me to my own Dropbox.

BTW if this is this wrong place to ask or if it's wrong to ask for non-retail schematics/files as a new member, please let me know.