Mutron Flanger Clone

Started by armdnrdy, November 06, 2013, 12:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

Finally got around to getting a short sample video together of the Mutron Flanger clone.

Thanks go out to all that helped in the process! Special thanks go to Ian (ronan), Federico (fender3D), R.G. (who can never be thanked enough for sharing his wisdom) Oh yeah...did I forget someone? My partner in crime on this project. Dino (digi2T)

Complete project files coming soon.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

digi2t

Well, I would say that we can stick a fork in that one. :icon_mrgreen:

Sounds amazing! The section starting at 3:11 is especially striking. An almost vocal like quality. Combined with the BMP, it`s got a really nice jet engine sound. Although I haven`t plugged in to the original in several weeks, from memory I would say it`s on par, or even slightly better sounding than the original. I`ll reiterate, the 3:11 section of the video really got my attention. I didn`t hear any ticking either, so I`m assuming that you really nipped that in the bud. Have you made any changes in the PCB layout to compensate for that?

Bravo my friend... bravo, indeed!  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Govmnt_Lacky

Although I cannot currently see or hear the video... all I can say is WOW!

I am off to sit in a corner with my smartphone and see this!  8)

WANT... WANT.... WANT...!!!

Thanks for ALL of the hard work in bringing this to life Larry! Class act!!!  ;)

EDIT: Just watched...... MUST HAVE!!!! Sweet demo  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Mark Hammer

VERY nice.  IN particular, the feedback/resonance is not clangey at all.

Made with a Reticon, or some other BBD?

digi2t

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 06, 2013, 08:29:52 AM

Made with a Reticon, or some other BBD?

This reincarnation has been brought to you by the MN3007. :icon_mrgreen:

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

armdnrdy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 06, 2013, 08:29:52 AM

Hey Mark,

I agree. This flanger design is very "musical" at all settings.

The sound sample I posted doesn't even begin to showcase the multitude of sounds possible!

Unlike many flanger designs, the feedback path has no trimpot for adjustment...which means that the designer chose the amount of resonance which seems to be just right.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Fender3D

Great work Larry,
nice demo and sound...

"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Govmnt_Lacky

#waitingforhoundstobereleased  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

GodSaveMetal

Is It on MN3007 BBD based; great I WANT I WAN`A flanger!!!!!  :icon_mrgreen:  please I waiting for all you have to do one for me!! :icon_eek: please post IT!!! all you have THANKS!!!  :icon_wink:

UKToecutter

That's superb.
Great video Larry.
I've got to build myself one of those!!!!
ShumannPLL BOM
Reserve Boards

wavley

Even though it very much reminds me of my Tel-Ray/Morley PFL, I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!!
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

armdnrdy

Thanks all for the compliments....this was a team effort!

I'm working on a work alike for the original 25KA custom taper, special order rate pot that Mutron used.

Right now the slow rate is a bit bunched up. (I used a 25KC pot)

Dino supplied resistances at the 10 points of the original rate pot and I'm working on reproducing it with a 50KB pot and tapering resistors.

So far it looks very promising!

Tonemonger

Yeah Wavley - That's the first thing I thought too !
I used to jam with a guy that had a Morley ( by far the longest sweep I've ever heard ).

I didn't even know I needed another flanger ?
Absolutely stellar work by all involved.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

jdub

A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

armdnrdy

Okay!

I worked out the custom log taper rate pot issue.

A 50K linear pot with a 110K resistor strapped between lugs 2 & 3 and a 5.6K resistor between lugs 1 & 2.

Makes for a brand new 25K 18% log taper pot. Very close to the original and sounding great!
The rate adjustment is very even across it's range with no jumps, or bunched up areas.  :icon_biggrin:

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: armdnrdy on November 09, 2013, 07:39:27 PM
Okay!

A 50K linear pot with a 110K resistor strapped between lugs 2 & 3 and a 5.6K resistor between lugs 1 & 2.

Makes for a brand new 25K 18% log taper pot. Very close to the original and sounding great!
The rate adjustment is very even across it's range with no jumps, or bunched up areas.  :icon_biggrin:

WOW... Going the EXTRA mile on this one Larry!  :icon_eek:

CANNOT WAIT TO GET THIS BUILT!!!!!!  :icon_twisted:

digi2t

This guy is a freakin`warrior.

It`s been an honor to fight by his side.

For those about to flange, we salute you. (Sounds kinda corny, I know. But, I mean it.) :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

GodSaveMetal

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 09, 2013, 08:38:31 PM
Quote from: armdnrdy on November 09, 2013, 07:39:27 PM
Okay!

WOW... Going the EXTRA mile on this one Larry!  :icon_eek:

CANNOT WAIT TO GET THIS BUILT!!!!!!  :icon_twisted:

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

armdnrdy

Putting together a project file for this seemed like a lot of work so....I just borrowed my Sisters Easy Bake Oven assembly instructions and added a couple of electronics terms.

Good luck with the build!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53299166/DIYstompboxes/Pedal%20Flanger%20Build%20Document.pdf