Are there any sockets out there specifically for turret board?

Started by PorkyPrimeCut, November 18, 2013, 02:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkyPrimeCut

A simple enough question.

The old-school turret board I'm using for a couple of builds has big metal lugs & the regular SIP strip I use is a slightly awkward shape.
It's not really a big deal as I could still solder them to the lugs somehow, I was just wondering if there was something out there specifically designed to work with turret board.

It's this stuff...

Liquitone

I don't know if those exist. The way I mount sockets to my turret builds is to drill holes the size of the thickest part of the socket-pins so the black part of the socket lies flat on the board.
This works well for up 2mm boards, and is quite sturdy. I use silver plated copper wire to make the connections from the pins to the turrets, which also helps keeping the socket in place.
I use regular veroboard as a drill template.

PorkyPrimeCut

Tidy looking work!

My own eureka moment went like this.....

I realised that the SIP strip I had could be doctored a little to fit in the turretboard lugs nicely.
I cut the black plastic off, used a fat, round needle file to widen the holes (literally 2 twists) popped the sockets in & soldered them in place.
They couldn't have worked out better really.....

The double socket took a bit of work. I clipped the hole open with the pliers & widened the gap.
Then with 2 needles taped together (and inserted into the sockets) I carefully held them in place & then soldered them.

Depending on how much space I need I might clip the thin ends of each socket.

Liquitone

That looks quite good actually. I take it you want to use the sockets for either germanium transistors or swapping out capacitors?
The way I done it is because I use them for relays and IC's, and this way I have all the right measurements for them to fit, and it is also a very sturdy setup.
What I did in the pictures was to file down the pins I didn't use (in the case of relays) but these days I push the pins I don't need out of the plastic before installing.

You could use a 14pin socket and push out every other pin, so you end up with 8 pins with enough spacing inbetween and then on the underside connect thick solid copper wire between the pins and the hole of the lugs that run through the board. This also frees up a lot of lugs for other parts.

PorkyPrimeCut

Yeah, they're for germanium transistors.

One particular set were quite pricey & don't feel good about soldering them directly to the lugs.
I'm pretty good at soldering but, knowing my luck, something would go wrong & I'd fry them.
Also, I can chop & change them as much as I need now, without any worry of over-cooking them, so to speak.

Of course, some kind of heatsink would solve this problem but I don't have anything to hand.

Arcane Analog

Sockets for transistors are not a great idea in my books. It is not a matter of if - they will wiggle loose.

To solder a transistor simply use a heat sink. An alligator clip will work perfectly.

PorkyPrimeCut

Quote from: Arcane Analog on November 18, 2013, 01:06:29 PM
Sockets for transistors are not a great idea in my books. It is not a matter of if - they will wiggle loose.

To solder a transistor simply use a heat sink. An alligator clip will work perfectly.

You think?

I'm not gigging at the moment so these pedals will rarely move from my practice space.
Also, the sockets & transistor leads are a pretty tight fit. They'll take a hell of a lot of wiggling.

kaycee

They start out tight, but once you've shoved a few wires into them they can become quite loose. Keep the legs relatively long on the trannys until you have the ones you want to put in. Then clip closer, put in the sockets and use a dab of solder to hold them in place. It takes a fair bit of heat to damage them, they were designed to be soldered, remember, better to use a hot iron quickly, than a cooler one slower, that's the way to damage them I think. Let cool between legs