MXR Noise Gate Tonepad Revisited Need Help

Started by Zipporello, November 22, 2013, 08:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

2n5485 should be a primo device for this circuit. when you say "doesn't have a gating", do you mean it won't mute or won't open? have you made any other subs?

can you measure some voltages? we need the no signal dc voltage at the 150k//1uF//transistor collector, and the voltage at the gate of the fet. then give the same voltages (they should rise and fall slowly, we want both extremes measured) when you give a wang on yr axe.

if you can get the unit to gate and ungate at any setting, can we have the voltages for that, please.
don't make me draw another line.

aswang05

What I mean to say is that when I set the grunge and level to the 12 o 'clock position, it just seems like i have no MXR noise gate at all. but when the grunge and output control is in 9 o 'clock, it just works out fine

duck_arse

the 12 o'clocks will mean more signal and more noise. you should be able to reduce the sensitivity on the mxr to compensate.
don't make me draw another line.

aswang05

Thanks..... ;) I'll get back to my working table then. thnx bro

MrStab

my issue when i first built this circuit was that i didn't really consider how the noise floor is so sudden - your issue kinda reminds me of that, Aswang. maybe you could test with several noisy pedals with different settings and see how they interact with the Threshold/Sensitivity control. Attenuation should always be max for testing, imo - in fact, i omitted it completely from my 2nd build.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.