9V Mic Preamp for SM57

Started by bartimaeus, February 16, 2017, 02:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartimaeus

Hello! I would like to build a small mic preamp to bring an SM57 to a suitable level (and impedance) to send through my pedalboard. I'd like it to run at 9V so that I could keep it on the pedalboard, powering it from my Voodoo Lab power supply. It would primarily be for use with voice. I'd very much appreciate if anyone has any tips or advice.

I am thinking of using this schematic as a starting point, but I'd be open to alternate and op-amp designs as well.

LiLFX

Quote from: bartimaeus on February 16, 2017, 02:05:32 PM
Hello! I would like to build a small mic preamp to bring an SM57 to a suitable level (and impedance) to send through my pedalboard. I'd like it to run at 9V so that I could keep it on the pedalboard, powering it from my Voodoo Lab power supply. It would primarily be for use with voice. I'd very much appreciate if anyone has any tips or advice.

I am thinking of using this schematic as a starting point, but I'd be open to alternate and op-amp designs as well.

I make a populated preamp board exactly for this purpose that is tailored for vocals, but there are rules against advertising on this site so I can't provide the link. As far as your question is concerned, you need 30-50db of gain to get you up around guitar level. That number depends heavily on your input source, but if we are talking speech/singing that number is pretty accurate. You are also going to want a differential input, and not the singled ended input that is in your link. Will it work? Maybe. Is it ideal? No.

You are a lot better off using the INA217 and two 9v batteries or a LT1054 to power it.