Orange Smoothie Compressor Build Guide

Started by GGBB, December 08, 2013, 09:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGBB

I'll start by correcting a misconception - the threshold control does not affect the output level. So you need to rethink any conclusions you've made based on that notion. If you are using an audio probe, you should hear a volume change due to threshold adjustment if you listen at pin 1 of the opamp - this is important - if you don't that's a definite problem.

The fact that you have sound is good. From your description, it sounds merely like a FET biasing problem and hopefully once that's solved everything else will start working. If the FET bias isn't set correctly, the attack and decay won't work right anyway, so don't worry about those for now. Listening at pin 1 (or R2-C6 junction) while adjusting the trimpot is the best way to adjust the bias. Have you tried this? Did you notice any changes in sound?

Beyond that, please follow this guide and post all your pin voltages. Clear pictures of your work might be useful.
  • SUPPORTER

dbp512

Back when you started this thread, a few people mentioned working on eagle files / PCB layouts. Did anybody ever get around to finishing it? I'd love to make this, but I don't etch.
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

Cheshire

Quote from: GGBB on February 15, 2016, 02:16:33 PM
I'll start by correcting a misconception - the threshold control does not affect the output level. So you need to rethink any conclusions you've made based on that notion. If you are using an audio probe, you should hear a volume change due to threshold adjustment if you listen at pin 1 of the opamp - this is important - if you don't that's a definite problem.
Thanks for your response! Once I had a compressor where the threshord control affected the output, I thought it is normal, but its schematic was really odd, so I probably had a wrong compressor)
Thank you for you recommendations, I'll follow them and write about the result as soon as I can

GGBB

Quote from: Cheshire on February 17, 2016, 10:23:11 AMOnce I had a compressor where the threshord control affected the output, I thought it is normal, but its schematic was really odd, so I probably had a wrong compressor)

Whether or not the threshold control affects output level depends on the design of the compressor - so there isn't really a "normal," however it is probably safe to say that most simple compressors - like guitar compressor pedals - which have a threshold control will have their output level affected by threshold adjustments. One of the "advantages" of the Orange Smoothie is that the compression is done in a side-chain so that the threshold control does not affect output level (at least in the direct sense - threshold will affect compression which therefore will affect the output level of signal peaks). This doesn't necessarily mean it's better, just that it's generally easier to adjust.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

Quote from: dbp512 on February 15, 2016, 04:45:39 PM
Back when you started this thread, a few people mentioned working on eagle files / PCB layouts. Did anybody ever get around to finishing it? I'd love to make this, but I don't etch.

Jon (midwayfair) graciously created an Eagle layout for me but I wanted to make a couple of small changes so I have been sitting on it for-ev-er! I finally got them done tonight, so I'm willing to make it available now via osh park. BUT - it hasn't been tested, and I'm not going to as I simply don't have the time. Also, I still need to generate the gerber which I haven't quite figured out.

Anyway - it is a possibility that this could happen soon (I mean it this time). Are there any others still interested?
  • SUPPORTER

upspoon12

Quote from: GGBB on February 17, 2016, 10:37:35 PM
Quote from: dbp512 on February 15, 2016, 04:45:39 PM

Jon (midwayfair) graciously created an Eagle layout for me but I wanted to make a couple of small changes so I have been sitting on it for-ev-er! I finally got them done tonight, so I'm willing to make it available now via osh park. BUT - it hasn't been tested, and I'm not going to as I simply don't have the time. Also, I still need to generate the gerber which I haven't quite figured out.

Anyway - it is a possibility that this could happen soon (I mean it this time). Are there any others still interested?

So glad to hear this. I am still dying to build this one once everything gets released!!!

GGBB

Boards are coming!!!

I have ordered a handful of "prototype" boards that should arrive some time in the first half of April (on the slow boat from China). I'm calling this version 1.1 as there are a couple of very minor changes from the original (although they could easily be jumpered out to revert to the original) which I think are improvements.

When they arrive I will post another message here, and I'll also update the build guide. There will probably be enough for everyone based on interest that's been expressed so far, but if you want to reserve a board, send me a PM. Pricing to be determined but definitely very low - probably $5 or less (shipping extra - and I'm in Canada so it might be a little more than US rates).
  • SUPPORTER

LightSoundGeometry

holy cow that look fantastic.I want one lol

I am in EET school right now and they are not teaching us how to etch like they used to due to finances..20K in debt and the school is too cheap to teach board etching ..unbelievable

I guess its time to start watching youtube videos ..I could of saved my 20 grand and just watched YT videos every day to learn the stuff I wanted to learn... school seems to be just a bunch of physics and math class, hard number crunching ..nothing of the real world questions I have and I have thousands of them.

anyways looks beautiful and caught my eye. the first pedal I ever did was an OS ..I can get one in a 1590A now  on strip board lol 13x12 but a pcb would be nice !

v00d00blues79

PRR

> I am in EET school right now and they are not teaching us

• SUPPORTER

mlp-mx6

I am interested in a PCB for this design.

Michael

upspoon12

so excited to build this. Anyone know a good clean blend circuit that works well with this one?

GGBB

Update:

The first half of April has passed and I am still awaiting delivery. All I know is that it was shipped via Singapore post and was dispatched to Canada on March 28. Further tracking info is not available. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.
  • SUPPORTER

upspoon12

yeah, economy shipping from that side of the world leaves a little to be desired. OF all the shipments i've had from over there, probably 40% of them either didn't show, showed, 2 monthes later, showed 2 monthes later damaged, or never showed.  Better success rate if dealing with an actual company though.

I appreciate the update though Gord, as i'm sure everyone else does as well.
as the days pass , the anticipation grows!!! waaahhhoooo.

(clearly work has made me crazed)

GGBB

Boards arrived today and they look good. I'll check one over and get back here about details for payment, shipping etc. Stay tuned!
  • SUPPORTER

dbp512

Wonderful to hear! Hopefully they pass your inspection
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

GGBB

Apologies for the poor photography.

They look like they turned out pretty good. In comparison to the two commercial pedal boards I've used they aren't as nice but they aren't far off. So in comparison to some of the internet posts I've seen about Chinese prototypes fabs I'm quite happy. The holes are smaller than I expected (maybe the plating?), so some things are a snug fit but nothing needs to be forced. Next time I do a board I will enlarge the hole sizes a step.

Pricing
$5 per board shipped to anywhere in the US, and $4.60 shipped to anywhere in Canada. Pricing is in Canadian $ and shipping is included. Shipping will be standard letter mail (in a stiff mailer) so shipping time shouldn't be longer than 6 business days in the US and 4 in Canada according to Canada Post. (If you are really in a hurry I can work out express shipping options by PM.)

This is based on an assumption about shipping weight which I'm fairly sure is accurate but I will verify before asking for payment - wouldn't be more than $0.65 extra.

Payment
Payment is to be made via PayPal in Canadian $. I will PM each of you with instructions.

What Now?
Everyone that has contacted me by PM will get a PM from me once I've verified the shipping weight later today. If you don't hear from me by end of tomorrow, either you didn't send me a PM or I lost it, so send me another please. Please do this by PM only, not by email or by post to this thread.

I'll have the build guide updated by the time anyone receives their board.
  • SUPPORTER

v00d00blues79

GGBB

Well my face is a bit red. I had figured the package weight would be under 30g, but it ended up being over 50g, which jumps the price of US shipping from $1.20 to $2.95 (plus tax and paypal). I guess PCBs weigh a lot more than I thought. So the price will now be $7 Canadian shipped to the US. Sorry guys. PMs to follow shortly.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

If you paid for a board already, it is on it's way. I shipped them this afternoon. The build guide update will be done by the time you receive your board.
  • SUPPORTER