Dual compressor? How to configure in one box?

Started by Jopn, December 11, 2013, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jopn

So I need a compressor.  More than likely, I need two compressors.  One that's an always-on effect to smooth out my lack of practicing, and another to kick into chickin pickin land.

I don't have a lot of experience playing with compressors but I'm assuming that it'd want to kick the transparent one off when I kick the squishy one on, right?  If so, I'd probably just put the footswitches close enough to hit both at the same time.

Or should I go the route of toggling some of the controls to different pots?  Take the Keeley 4 knob for example.  The clip, attack and sustain are all variable resistors.  So with a 3pdt I could throw 2 of those controls from one set of pots to another, and still have a pole available for LED indicators of which set of controls is active.

I'm mostly thinking out loud, but would love to hear other people's thoughts since you are collectively (and many, individually) smarter and wiser than I in the ways of the stomp box.

Cheers,

John

Seljer

I think it would be beneficial to only run one at a time as compressors usually don't help the noise floor. Though then again, if the transparent one is 'really' transparent maybe its not an issue.

You'd get more options if you switched between two circuits rathen then presets controls, because it  thengives you the added variety from being able to use an entirely different circuit for each sound.

Mark Hammer

The challenge is that many compressors add level when compression is increased.  So, on the surface you'd think that an A/B pair of compression-amount presets would do the trick.  But, unless one always uses higher compression for solos, one would likely need to be able to switch between two volume-level presets at the same time.

Not impossible.  It just has to get done.

Jopn

Ah, good point, I hadn't thought about volume jump.  In fact, I was thinking the opposite: "Oh, it will be nice not to have to worry about different output since that knob will be shared."

Sounds like I'm heading into 4PDT land already if I want to support two sets of sustain, attack, and volume pots and the LED indicators.  Completely doable, like Mark said, but the more duplication that's required, the less advantage there is to going this route.

Maybe I'll test out a few and see if there's a design that doesn't fluctuate the level too much.  Any pointers/experience on this is appreciated!

arma61

Quote from: Jopn on December 11, 2013, 12:53:52 PM
.... One that's an always-on.....

I don't have a lot of experience playing with compressors but I'm assuming that it'd want to kick the transparent one off when I kick the squishy one on, right?  If so, I'd probably just put the footswitches close enough to hit both at the same time.

If you want the transparent(A) one always on when the squishy(B) in off, then just use and A/B configuration, where A is always on and, when needed, you can siwtch to B, finish with B? then switch to A, so you have one foot switch, A always on and the B switchable (you can add a small toggle switch if you need/will need to truebypass it)

Ciao

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Seljer

Hmm, would it be more beneficial to have to the transparent one before or after the squishy one?

Kipper4

or build the Bearhug and use a stomp switch (instead of a toggle) to change between the high and low compression settings!!!!
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/