Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicago_mike

I had a color computer 3!  :P And I read Rainbow magazine.... :-\

But as far as ferric chloride..I go with Meratic acid and hydrogen peroxide.  :D

armdnrdy

Quote from: R.G. on July 20, 2014, 05:34:31 PM
And I doubt I'll ever be able to remove my own appendix.

I bet you could out of necessity!  :icon_wink:

But hopefully that will be left to speculation!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Jdansti

Quote from: bluebunny on July 20, 2014, 04:35:45 PM

2. John needs a little help boiling eggs (but not changing oil).

Actually, I have to boil my own eggs for tuna salad because my wife doesn't like tuna. That's probably the same reason I make a mean crawfish étouffée-she doesn't eat mud bugs.  ;)

I can use a sewing machine for very basic stuff, but if I tried to sew a shirt like RG did, my wife wouldn't let me leave the house with it on because I'd look like I was wearing caveman clothes.  ;D

To tie my point back to RadioShack, most people now days overpay for fancy sounding TV cables at BestBuy rather than scout out the bulk cable and connectors and make their own cables to length. Just one example.

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Govmnt_Lacky

The best reason why there are not a lot of DIY'ers or fix-it-yourself folks anymore is simply because it is cheaper to buy new!  :icon_eek:

The advent of cheap electronics and appliances combined with the increasing costs of repair parts and associated equipment make it more logical to buy NEW than to fix the OLD.

Case in point: Recently had our clothes dryer go bad on us. I did some research and here is what I found.

New Dryer = $650

Repair dryer = $600

DIY repairs = $400 in parts + time

Which do you think I chose?  ::)

This could apply to almost anything...
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 20, 2014, 09:33:12 PM
The best reason why there are not a lot of DIY'ers or fix-it-yourself folks anymore is simply because it is cheaper to buy new!  :icon_eek:

The advent of cheap electronics and appliances combined with the increasing costs of repair parts and associated equipment make it more logical to buy NEW than to fix the OLD.

Case in point: Recently had our clothes dryer go bad on us. I did some research and here is what I found.

New Dryer = $650

Repair dryer = $600

DIY repairs = $400 in parts + time

Which do you think I chose?  ::)

This could apply to almost anything...

Greg,
You didn't include the cost to build a dryer. After all....this is a DIY site.  ;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 20, 2014, 09:38:45 PM
Greg,
You didn't include the cost to build a dryer. After all....this is a DIY site.  ;D

Ha!

Probably the same as when you build your own pedal. By the time you put a price on your "time" it would be best to just go buy one!  :icon_eek:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

bluebunny

Quote from: R.G. on July 20, 2014, 05:34:31 PM
Quote from: bluebunny on July 20, 2014, 04:35:45 PM
1. R.G. was clearly raised in Yorkshire.
Was the giveaway the snow, no shoes, or uphill both ways?    :icon_lol:

Ha ha!  All of the above.   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on July 20, 2014, 09:42:06 PM
Quote from: armdnrdy on July 20, 2014, 09:38:45 PM
Greg,

Ha!

Probably the same as when you build your own pedal. By the time you put a price on your "time" it would be best to just go buy one!  :icon_eek:

very true, look at the nux time core for example..£30.00 :icon_eek:...several delays including reverse, and loops 40 secs too..but thats mass production for ya..

i might just rehouse em and sell em for £300... ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

armdnrdy

theehman

A guy I worked with at RS told me his stock was worth like $250K at one time.  He didn't sell and hung on hoping it would go back up.
I don't know if he sold it after they fired him or not.  Fun Fact: He was fired for accessing "inappropriate" websites.  He also apparently had a foot fetish (site left up on pc) and a thing for female celebrity fight fiction.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

armdnrdy

Quote from: theehman on July 21, 2014, 12:23:37 PM
A guy I worked with at RS told me his stock was worth like $250K at one time.  He didn't sell and hung on hoping it would go back up.
I don't know if he sold it after they fired him or not.  Fun Fact: He was fired for accessing "inappropriate" websites.  He also apparently had a foot fetish (site left up on pc) and a thing for female celebrity fight fiction.

Ron,

You sure seem to know quite alot about this....are you sure this was "A guy I worked with"  ;D

theehman

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 21, 2014, 12:36:45 PM
Quote from: theehman on July 21, 2014, 12:23:37 PM

Ron,

You sure seem to know quite alot about this....are you sure this was "A guy I worked with"  ;D

I gleaned this info from a) the manager and b) his logged in Yahoo account
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Jdansti

My old manager (and still a good friend) was fired just after RS computers came out. He converted part of the back storage area into a workshop with chairs where customers could sit and drink coffee and chat with him while he worked on their computers. He was fired for buying a coffee maker for the workshop and listing it as a space heater on his expense report because he knew management wouldn't have approved a coffee maker.   He was guilty as charged, but never mind that he was selling a lot of computers and making money upgrading them. RS made the whole staff take lie detector tests. When we learned that he was fired, we all quit without notifying management. We just didn't show up for work. :icon_twisted:  We all got calls from a pissed off VP trying to get us to go in and open the store. They had to scramble to temporarily get workers from other stores.
  • SUPPORTER

Luke51411

Quote from: Jdansti on July 21, 2014, 01:36:32 PM
When we learned that he was fired, we all quit without notifying management. We just didn't show up for work. :icon_twisted:  We all got calls from a pissed off VP trying to get us to go in and open the store. They had to scramble to temporarily get workers from other stores.
That's great! I've had a job or two where I wanted to pull something like that off, never really happened though.

armdnrdy

I had a boss that was giving me grief about being late....

I was supposed to show up at his house to head out to a job. I was there on time but...everyone else had shown up early so....he decided to leave without me.

His wife gave me the address, I drove to the location, and this guy, the boss man started giving me grief for showing up late!  :icon_eek:

I was not late!

I took his bull for about 15 minutes. (15 minutes too long) He was up on a roof and I was climbing up a ladder toward him.
He started in on his rant again and I took off my (his company) shirt, threw it in his face, and proceeded to give him a piece of my mind. He was slack jawed!

After giving him a major tongue lashing, I hopped in my truck and left.
I have to tell you.....that felt good!  :icon_wink:

Jdansti

Did you remove the ladder?   :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER

Tony Forestiere

I think I would have dropped the ladder to the ground as a parting gift.

*edit* Damnit. John beat me to it.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

armdnrdy

Nope.
I left the ladder where it was.

This guy was just one of those controlling, "I'm always right regardless of reality because I'm the boss" kind of guys.

After a few more go rounds with that type, and being a little lot older now....I do not allow people to talk to me like that now.

I've been my own boss for about ten years and now I have to deal with employees! Ugg! 

duck_arse

@ vigilante (mainly) - (and not helping him with his ferric *issues*) have a look over here:
https://www.rockby.com.au/Index2012.cfm

bottles of ferric, relays on special, 35c mpf102's ....... I have no interest or affilliation.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.