Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vigilante397

Quote from: duck_arse on July 22, 2014, 08:00:27 AM
@ vigilante (mainly) - (and not helping him with his ferric *issues*) have a look over here:
https://www.rockby.com.au/Index2012.cfm

bottles of ferric, relays on special, 35c mpf102's ....... I have no interest or affilliation.

Thanks, that actually looks like the kind of thing I need :) Now it's just a matter of whether they ship to the states :-\

As for my...issues... I quit cold turkey after my last bottle ran out...and I realized I have no money to buy more :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

tubegeek

Quote from: R.G. on July 20, 2014, 03:04:12 PM
But then I remember days when I had to walk to school in the snow, without shoes, up-hill, both ways... 

Well, before all this climate change stuff, it snowed a LOT in Texas, ain't that right? And according to the Almanac Of Backwards States, it wasn't until 1973 that the first pair of child's shoes was sold in Texas.

You did say "shoes" not "boots"?

-j, writing from snowy Brooklyn, NY, epicenter of urbane hipsterism if you don't count Austin
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Jdansti

Quote from: tubegeek on July 24, 2014, 12:31:00 AM
Quote from: R.G. on July 20, 2014, 03:04:12 PM
But then I remember days when I had to walk to school in the snow, without shoes, up-hill, both ways... 

Well, before all this climate change stuff, it snowed a LOT in Texas, ain't that right? And according to the Almanac Of Backwards States, it wasn't until 1973 that the first pair of child's shoes was sold in Texas.

You did say "shoes" not "boots"?

-j, writing from snowy Brooklyn, NY, epicenter of urbane hipsterism if you don't count Austin

Yep. I was born in '62 and was the first child on my block in '73 to have shoes. Now excuse me while I saddle up, round up my cattle and check my oil wells. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

tubegeek

.... black gold ....
.... Texas tea ....

R.G.

Quote from: tubegeek on July 24, 2014, 12:31:00 AM
Careful - it's no longer "climate change", that's passe. It's now "something is different, even if the difference is that it didn't change". EVERYTHING is more evidence that you have to register all your carbon with the Office of Carbon Control and pay your yearly Carbon Control Tax.

And since what really causes "something is different, even if it's not" is carbon di-OXIDE,  we can't neglect control of the two-thirds of CO2 - the oxygen. So we're setting up the Office of Oxygen Control so that doesn't get away from us and cause either difference or non-difference. Notice that this is not IN-difference. That's a different office.

And seriously folks... (that means that I didn't make this up, I read it) California is in a terrible drought. I feel from them, only recently having the climate - oops, weather (that's different, the climate is still changed!) get a little wetter here. However, California has instituted regulations prohibiting lawn watering. One couple was served notice to stop watering or get fined. They stopped watering. They were then served notice from an office of their city that they were violating the green-city ordinance or some such, and that they would be fined if they DIDN'T water their lawn. See http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/07/20/3462064/california-drought-fine-brown-lawn/

In a mature society, everything not forbidden is mandatory. Interesting that some things can be both forbidden and mandatory.  :icon_lol:

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

armdnrdy

I believe that it was called "global warming" until some parts of the "globe" were actually experiencing record snowfall and record low temperatures. So...to keep with the narrative that there is a problem...the name slowly traversed to "climate change".

There are way too many people profiting from this to take a step back and concede to the other half of the scientific community whos reports conclude that these changes are part of the natural cycle.

This webpage which advocates global warming has a lot of pretty graphs! It must be real if there are graphs!  :icon_wink:
http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/natural-cycle

I've lived in Southern California all of my life. (born and raised) When I was a child, the smog was so bad that you could not see the local (San Gabriel) mountains through the haze! The greater Los Angeles area is a basin surrounded by mountains that act as a trap, preventing the onshore flow (ocean breeze) from dissipating the smog.
Due to EPA laws and vehicle emissions standards being tightened, that problem no longer exists. I would imagine that with all of the businesses and population density per square mile, the greater Los Angeles area has some of the cleanest air in the world. (but don't quote me on that!)

Off of the coast of California there are ocean currents that are fairly stable, but some years we have a phenomenon known as El Nino.

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/el-nino-story.html

One of the effects of El Nino is heavy rainfall (well above average) during the winter.
There is another phenomenon which is the opposite of El Nino, called La Nina. La Nina is when the ocean temperature is cooler than normal. This also has an effect on the weather.

So....here we see an example of a natural occurring weather cycle.

R.G. mentioned that California is experiencing a drought. Yes we are. I am 51 year old and have experienced droughts in the 70s, in the 80s, and in the 90s. I remember as a child when the same "ticket/fine if you water your lawn" ordinance existed.

So...here we see another example of a natural occurring weather cycle. Years with heavy Sierra Nevada Mountain snowpack (water source) and years with....not so much. Hmm.....I bet this is caused by global warming....I mean climate change!

What does this have to do with the original thread title Radio Shack to go under?

I believe that Radio Shack's drop in sales is directly connected to global warming. Let me explain.

It is a known fact that people would rather sit in front of their PC in their air conditioned homes, with a fist full of crispy crème donuts, washed down with a diet Pepsi, than hop in their car and brave the heat traveling to a brick and mortar store such as Radio Shack.

I have a solution! I will save Radio Shack...the world...and everything in it! I feel that it is my duty!

I will put together a website with a PayPal link for donations to the cause.
Armdnrdy's Radio Shack and world survival fund.

I also have a few other projects that I could use help with:

Armdnrdy's guitar collection fund, Armdnrdy's dream car fund, and Armdnrdy needs more beer fund.

We have not quite reached our goal and appreciate any and all contributions. Give generously and give often!  ;D

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Mac Walker

I think one of the pre-conditions for a Radio Shack bail-out should be:

1 - CEO salary limited to $10K/year

2 - CEO must renounce his MBA degree, and build a functional tube screamer

3 - bonus can be paid, but only in Hammond 1590B boxes.

4 - Radio Shack must be required to carry 1590B boxes.

I've never understood the global warming concern, as it is a problem that essentially solves itself - we will run out of fossil fuels in less than a century, some estimates put the number at half that.....before the inevitable societal collapse.....but whatevs.

I started a garden this spring when I learned that 50% of our food in the U.S. essentially comes from an irrigated desert.  Only 3 years into what could easily be an extended 100 year drought, at least by historical standards.  Goodbye almonds and fresh veggies in the middle of winter!

tubegeek

How did this conversation turn serious? I want my money back!

armdnrdy

R.G. started it! He's a regular instigator!  ;D

Seriously though...I was poised and ready to go on this one!

By the way...when you get your money back, would you like to donate it to a good cause?  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

Quote from: Lurco on July 25, 2014, 01:51:59 AM
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=56367.0

Excellent!

Read R.G.s replies in this thread. I believe he sums things up nicely! (as always)

One way for politicians to gain control over your life and to justify higher taxes is to "prove" to you that a problem exists.

Hitler used the Jews as the "bad guy", the "problem" to rally the German people so that the Nazis could implement Hitler's genocidal world domination agenda. It's all about feeding the public a narrative to change their perception of things.

I dare one person to present an absolute case where climate change has been proven without a doubt to be caused by mankind.

Before man walked this earth, or was civilized for that matter, forest fires caused by lightning strikes would burn unabated until they ran out of fuel. You might call that Global Burning. Cavemen didn't have fire trucks or water-dropping aircraft. (don't quote me on that either) Do you think those fires created a bit of C02?  :icon_wink:

I'm holding out for empirical data. The scientific community seems to be split on the subject so.....so am I.

duck_arse

here in australia, we had tandy selling radio shack stuff. I think tandy left us long ago, they are certainly not very visible these days.

and our wonderful, progressive thinkers of a government, has just repealed our carbon tax (they couldn't make a profit selling it). and now prices are all going to go down, or the government will refund us the difference.

they promise.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

armdnrdy

I remember seeing commercials for Radio Shack years ago that would end with Radio Shack.......a Tandy Corporation.

Here's the Tandy Corporation wiki that mentions the Tandy stores being sold to Dick Smith Electronics in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation

greaser_au

armdnrdy

I have to admit, the "Radio Shack" packaging was a bit confusing back in the day with packaging marked "Realistic", "Tandy", "Radio Shack", and "Archer".

I would have to walk outside and look up at the store sign to see where I was!  ;D

greaser_au

Quote from: duck_arse on July 25, 2014, 08:44:38 AM
and our wonderful, progressive thinkers of a government, has just repealed our carbon tax (they couldn't make a profit selling it). and now prices are all going to go down, or the government will refund us the difference.
they promise.

The Federal Government- a wholly-owned subsidiary of Big Business...  I have hours of rants about all of the stupidity  (e.g. note how the legislation repealing the tax bounced twice, then -when it could have potentially caused a dissolution- a number of otherwise *very* staunch "social democrats" crossed the floor, rather than stand up for their principles and likely lose their cushy jobs),  but I'm a freemason and topics of a religious or political nature are discouraged!!

david

greaser_au

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 25, 2014, 12:24:34 PM
I have to admit, the "Radio Shack" packaging was a bit confusing back in the day with packaging marked "Realistic", "Tandy", "Radio Shack", and "Archer".
I would have to walk outside and look up at the store sign to see where I was!  ;D

I thought it was all very clear...  :)
Realistic for the commodity items (radios/speakers/turntables).
Radio Shack (and Tandy)  for the components and batteries.
Micronta for the test gear.
Archer(kit) for the higher end commodity kits ('finished' items -like blue kit versions of the Micronta multimeters).
Science Fair for the beginner kits.

david

armdnrdy

Nope...not that easy.

You're forgetting about Archer brand components.

Luke51411

I just bought a handful of Archer components. Nixie tubes, CMOS chips, led 7 segment displays, and a few others that someone had donated to the local thrift store, so Archer had components too apparently. I also have a VHF UHF amplifier box that is proudly the new home of a SHO and an overdrive which I can't remember which one it actually is... But it sounds nice!

armdnrdy

Okay...
Did you put the writing upside down to mess with me...or to mess with yourself because you like a challenge?  :icon_eek: