Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

Haha well I was going for the input and output printed on the box to be on the correct side... So no matter how you slice it, it would have been confusing. The holes where the coax connect would have been too big for pots also so I just drilled them out a bit more for the stomp switches. It's a bit odd but I can't complain paying 99 cents for a 125a sizeish enclosure. Extra bonus, the nuts from the coax work on some of the 1/4inch jacks that I had previously lost nuts for :P

armdnrdy

I would use that slide switch cutout for something...because it's there.

Switch diodes, caps, something.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Luke51411

I'm sure I will at some point. I was thinking about sticking some clipping LEDs under there so the light would sort of be glowing while clipping.

Luke51411

Here are some archer components I picked up. Some CMOS chips, led 7 segment displays, and a digital clock ic. I'm wondering if any of the CMOS chips would be useful for stompboxes? They are rs74c192 4 bit up down decade counter, mm74c08 quad 2 input AND gate, mm74c74 dual d flip flop, mm74c76 dual j-k flip flop. I can probably get a hold of a few more if I can put them to good use or if anyone else would be interested in them as well.

armdnrdy

It looks like you can use them. The data sheet for the flip flop states 15 volts...When I first saw the model numbers I thought they were TTL....5 volts. I'm a late comer to the game...I'm more familiar with the CD40XX series.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Tony Forestiere

Yep. Archer was components. Was a gift to a valuable member.

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

Luke51411

I wish I would have found one of those with the others though it seems the person that donated these was more into clocks... At least I got some stuff to use and some to sell. Heck, selling the Nixie tubes alone is paying for the purchase of the rest of the stuff :icon_cool:

greaser_au

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 25, 2014, 12:59:49 PM
Nope...not that easy.

You're forgetting about Archer brand components.

Larry,
OK, I stand corrected - it has only been 20-something years...   :)    (I knew I should have pulled out some of the ancient stuff at the bottom of the junkbox,  I still have a fibreoptic RX/TX pair I got in one of their  'grab bags').

...so my list needs to have added:
Archer for components
Radio Shack for books and toys
Optimus & Genexxa for hifi speakers and turntables

Nobody else sold these brands  (until Dick Smith Electronics bought Tandy Australia - by then there were no more components and only the commodity stuff cross pollinated)

david

armdnrdy

You got it straight now bud?  ;D

armdnrdy

Quote from: Tony Forestiere on July 25, 2014, 08:02:19 PM
Yep. Archer was components. Was a gift to a valuable member.

I bought one of these nice little still packaged items last year by being observant as it was mixed in and hidden in a lot of other ICs.

Can you say SCORE?  :icon_wink:

Quackzed

up here in the north east Market Basket workers are on strike!!! (over the sacking of Arthur t. Demoulas) turns out Jim Gooch ,new exec of MB, was the former Chief Executive at Radio Shack!

QuoteMany employees are distrustful of Arthur S. and two co-chief executives who were brought in from outside the company: Felicia Thornton, a former executive of the grocery chain Albertsons, and Jim Gooch, former president and chief executive at RadioShack Corp.

QuoteA closer look at his tenure at Radio Shack explains why. Share prices declined 84 percent since he took over. On July, 25 2012, the company reported an unprecedented loss of $21 million compared to a $25 million profit during the same period in 2011. Just weeks before being fired, Mr. Gooch killed the only reason to own Radio Shack's stock: the dividend. Sounds like running a company into the ground
Looks like he didn't do any good at RS either...
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

armdnrdy

Quote from: Quackzed on July 25, 2014, 11:36:50 PM
Just weeks before being fired

It is a shame that U.S. shareholders (citizens) can't do the same with a president that isn't doing a good job!  :'(

Clint Eastwood - RNC Aug. 30, 2012
"When somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go."

armdnrdy

duck_arse

- luke - all that crappy old junk good stuff you've got there looks like an octave box, to me.

- greaser - you were going so well, why did you spoil it with the masons [he does the evil-eye at him].

and seeing all that packaging reminds me why I hated tandy. walk in, look for the parts section, and there is a pegboard, with EVERYTHING individually packed. so, just 2n3904's, there is no room for any real range. and resistors in blister packs?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

greaser_au

Quote from: duck_arse on July 26, 2014, 08:41:50 AM
- greaser - you were going so well, why did you spoil it with the masons [he does the evil-eye at him].

In the interests of fair dealing, mainly (one of the tenets of the organisation)...  :)

Quote from: duck_arse on July 26, 2014, 08:41:50 AM
and seeing all that packaging reminds me why I hated tandy. walk in, look for the parts section, and there is a pegboard, with EVERYTHING individually packed. so, just 2n3904's, there is no room for any real range. and resistors in blister packs?

Been to Jaycar lately?  :)  Soanar resistor package that looks somewhat like 1980 Tandy/Archer resistor packaging

david

duck_arse

no. not lately. it seems they've taken up where dick smith left off - the parts LOOK just like the ones you want, and sure cost the same or more, but you gets them home, the contacts are backwards to sensible, or the lugs are so tarnish the plastic melts before the solder takes, the glue under the vero-copper *pops* in the heat of soldering, or the fecking thing just falls apart in your hands.

and once yuo see the tayda prices ......

[ .... evil eye again]
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Eddododo

I go to radioshack for a few things,  but honestly the only things now I would touch are the packs of resistors and wire.

All of the pots have a chunky,  terrible,  inaccurate taper.  The boards melt and the pads pop up before the solder melts

greaser_au

You've gotta support your local suppliers where you can for the small stuff (admittedly a bulk pot or enclosure purchase needs to go to a cost effective supplier like tayda, but you should at least view the local guys catalogue).

[and you can evil eye me all you want, it won't stop me grabbing a pike and standing at your side when it's time to defend this wide brown land, mate!!!]  ;D

david

Luke51411

@da I was thinking octave box. I wonder if any of these would be drop in replacements for a CDxxxx in an octave box or if I could make minor adjustments to a circuit to use them. Sounds lik I'll already have a name for it... Crappy old junk octave box. Haha

armdnrdy

Quote from: Luke51411 on July 26, 2014, 09:52:45 AM
I wonder if any of these would be drop in replacements for a CDxxxx in an octave box or if I could make minor adjustments to a circuit to use them.
Check the data sheets.

Quote from: Luke51411 on July 26, 2014, 09:52:45 AM
Sounds lik I'll already have a name for it... Crappy old junk octave box. Haha
You can call it the "Archer Octave Box" and put a cool image of a centaur on it!.....oh wait...that's already been done by Klon!  :icon_wink: