Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

Too bad I already used my Archer box ::)
What octave boxes are there that use cmos chips? The only one I can think of is the Blue Box.

armdnrdy

If you want to find uses/projects/ideas for those CMOS ICs.....buy a copy of the CMOS Cookbook.

I bought it earlier this year and it is a must have! It is very user/novice friendly with a ton of circuit examples.

I picked up my copy from Amazon...used, in pristine condition.

Edit:

I don't know if you are in the U.S. but...here is a very good deal.

http://www.thriftbooks.com/viewdetails.aspx?isbn=0672224593&mkwid=WmfTshnG|dc&pcrid=55707680472&gclid=Cj0KEQjwo82eBRCR1Yr2u-G-sK8BEiQAbrSjVLnOGuLUOvNrMXld_iPexh1rHefXrZjrUHEvblwkL_oaApej8P8HAQ
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Luke51411

I am in the US thanks! I think I'll get that one. I might pick up the active filter cookbook too!

armdnrdy

I was eyeballing the active cookbook as well.

I'm currently trying to punch in component values in a Sallen-Key low pass filter calculator....and it keeps kicking them back out!

It doesn't like me!  :icon_evil:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

The reaper is just outside the door!

Take a look at the five year. Shares in the twenties....now worth 38 cents!

B Tremblay

Quote from: armdnrdy on December 30, 2014, 01:15:06 PM
The reaper is just outside the door!

And just before his scythe makes its fateful slice, the bespectacled clerk at the counter will earnestly ask, "Do you need any batteries today?"
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Govmnt_Lacky

Hey... If it's good enough for Weird Al.... its good enough for me! BUY...BUY...BUY...  :icon_twisted:

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

armdnrdy

Quote from: B Tremblay on December 30, 2014, 02:14:36 PM
And just before his scythe makes its fateful slice, the bespectacled clerk at the counter will earnestly ask, "Do you need any batteries today?"

That is funny!  ;D

I thought that RS employees only asked me that question because....I always look like I need batteries!  :icon_lol:

Electron Tornado

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

Mark Hammer

You have to wonder what sort of MBAs they crank out these days.

Target - a going concern in the USA - moved into Canada just under two years ago.  The stores tanked, and Target announced they were losing too much money and were closing all their stores here.  The stock liquidation sales begin Thursday.  Unfortunately, besides milk and eggs, they don't really have much of anything that I want.  The execs who oversaw this fiasco got 6 and 7-figure handshakes, though.

Brisance

Quote from: Tony Forestiere on July 25, 2014, 08:02:19 PM
Yep. Archer was components. Was a gift to a valuable member.

what, you can buy components packaged like this!?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 03, 2015, 09:29:13 AM
Target - a going concern in the USA - moved into Canada just under two years ago.  The stores tanked, and Target announced they were losing too much money and were closing all their stores here.  The stock liquidation sales begin Thursday.  Unfortunately, besides milk and eggs, they don't really have much of anything that I want.  The execs who oversaw this fiasco got 6 and 7-figure handshakes, though.

I always wondered why Target failed in the great north. They are very successful here in the states.

Any ideas Mark? Would love to hear what you think....
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

theehman

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 03, 2015, 10:18:25 AM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 03, 2015, 09:29:13 AM

I always wondered why Target failed in the great north. They are very successful here in the states.

Any ideas Mark? Would love to hear what you think....

My wife works at Target and according to her, it was mainly a case of too much, too soon.  They opened too many stores too quickly and didn't have the merchandise to fully stock them.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Mark Hammer

That pretty much sums it up, Ron.  They should have built up slower than they did, and adopted an IKEA-type strategy: be more desirable andd exotic by being less available.  Unfortunately, they purchased the sites of another Canadian low-end retailer that already had more locations than they could afford (which is why they went under), and there wasn't either the stock or clientele to make all those outlets viable.

With RS going under, those slots in malls will be relatively easy to fill.  Not so for the malls here where Target was the "anchor store".  There are a limited number of retailers that take up spaces that big.

But enough about retail economics.  This thread is about us venting over our mutual former "golden child" where so many of us got our start.  :icon_wink:

plexi12000

idk.....they always say RS is going under. like, for the last 30 yrs! -lol

i wouldn't worry too much.....in this age of 'government intervention', they'll probably get subsidies or a total 'bailout'.

armdnrdy

Quote from: plexi12000 on February 04, 2015, 01:53:52 AM
idk.....they always say RS is going under. like, for the last 30 yrs! -lol

i wouldn't worry too much.....in this age of 'government intervention', they'll probably get subsidies or a total 'bailout'.

You probably believe in unicorns, Santa Claus, and the tooth fairy too!  ;D

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102376542#.

I believe this is the "real" end.

Jdansti

I read an article that said that Sprint was going to take over a number of the stores. Probably turn them into Sprint phone stores and get rid of the rest of the merchandise.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Mark Hammer

Someone posted this over on MEF.  Haven't watched it, so I can't speak for its content.

davent

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 04, 2015, 02:39:42 PM
Someone posted this over on MEF.  Haven't watched it, so I can't speak for its content.

Mark, gotta take the 's' out of the 'https' address.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Hemmel

Does this apply to The Source in Canada ?
Bââââ.