Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Hemmel on February 04, 2015, 03:38:45 PM
Does this apply to The Source in Canada ?

Completely separate company, that simply leases Radio Shack brand stuff. 

Hemmel

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 04, 2015, 06:46:03 PM
Completely separate company, that simply leases Radio Shack brand stuff. 

Awww too bad...
Bââââ.

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Quackzed

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Govmnt_Lacky

I have a local RS near me. With my luck, it will be one they convert to a Sprint store  :icon_cry:

Won't be able to capitalize on the "Everything goes" sales.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

vigilante397

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 06, 2015, 09:22:20 AM

I keep driving by the local Radioshack hoping to see a "going out of business sale" sign. I don't buy much from there, but that is where I buy my ferric and my spools of solder, so hopefully I can stock up before I have to start looking elsewhere 8)

Last time I was in I was told by the gentleman working there that in the 8 years he's worked there I've been the first person he's seen buying ferric :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

armdnrdy

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 06, 2015, 09:22:20 AM
I have a local RS near me. With my luck, it will be one they convert to a Sprint store  :icon_cry:

I have a feeling that when the "takeover" happens....the items that we are interested in will be the first thing to be deleted from the stores inventory.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

canman

Anything worth snagging from there before it goes out, aside from solder spools?  I think I read earlier in this thread that someone likes the digital multimeter they have from RS...my cheapie from Harbor Freight is in the process of dying, worth grabbing the RS one?

vigilante397

Different branches will obviously have different stock, but some of them do actually have some very reasonable multimeters.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

garcho

they have big, gnarly, metal 5mm LED bezels with nice rubber place-holders. my personal favorite, but def retro looking, not for the everything-must-fit-in-a-1590A-enclosure crowd.

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

canman

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 06, 2015, 11:42:18 AM
Different branches will obviously have different stock, but some of them do actually have some very reasonable multimeters.

I noticed on their website they have a ton of different models...ranging from $20-80+.  Are those $20 units any good, or are the decent units the $80+ multimeters?  Cuz if the $20 units are at all decent, I may as well pick one up!

armdnrdy

A little blood in the water and....the sharks are starting to circle!   ;D

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

armdnrdy

vigilante397

That's pretty much how it's going to be. Still no sign outside Radio Shack, I might just head in after work today and ask them about it :P
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

wavley

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 06, 2015, 04:32:10 PM
That's pretty much how it's going to be. Still no sign outside Radio Shack, I might just head in after work today and ask them about it :P

"So guys... how much longer will it be before you liquidate this place and start claiming unemployment? I ask because I was looking at that strat over there and really want a great deal."

A question actually asked of me when I worked at Mars and the bankruptcy news came out.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

armdnrdy

Quote from: wavley on February 06, 2015, 04:40:58 PM

"So guys... how much longer will it be before you liquidate this place and start claiming unemployment? I ask because I was looking at that strat over there and really want a great deal."

A question actually asked of me when I worked at Mars and the bankruptcy news came out.

So....how long did he have to wait?? and what kind of a deal did he get??  :icon_lol:

Jdansti

Since they're going through Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the judge will usually require them to restructure and to minimize further losses so they can repay their creditors.  The purpose of Chapter 11 is often for the company to emerge as an ongoing business (possibly with a different owner and name).  Whether that includes liquidation of assets through clearance sales or selling them outright to another business remains to be seen.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

PRR

I would take ANY Radio Shack meter if it was half-price.

They are all (in my experience) good. Much better than generic junk. Often nearly as good as the Top Name Brands (Fluke etc) with slightly fewer features that you might never need. But they have been priced to cover mall-overhead and rare buyers. I suspect part of going-forward will be to clear out all this slow-moving stock and get it off the books, take 50 cents on the marked-up dollar to have cash-in-hand now and free space for the SPRINT counter.

Don't wait for SALE signs to go up. Radio Shack has been so clueless lately, they probably won't think to put up signs.
  • SUPPORTER

canman

Shoot, I'm sold.  I'll be picking up a new DMM from RadioShack tomorrow...sale or not, I need a new one and if these are good meters, I'm in.