Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Quote from: canman on February 06, 2015, 05:29:31 PM
Shoot, I'm sold.  I'll be picking up a new DMM from RadioShack tomorrow...sale or not, I need a new one and if these are good meters, I'm in.

Make sure you purchase the extended warranty plan...  :)
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

amptramp

I still have a Radio Shack Micronta DMM that I got in Florida in 1983 for $39.99 and it is my go-to meter for everything except specialty measurements (like up to 30 megohms, which I can do with another meter).  Every once in a while it gets erratic and I have to open it up and clean the contacts on the PCB which is where the selector switch is printed on.  Still a good meter.

Tony Forestiere

This was my first RS meter:

Second kit build.

*edit* corrected link
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

armdnrdy

vigilante397

Quote from: armdnrdy on February 07, 2015, 03:34:24 PM
Liquidation sale!  :icon_eek: Game on!  :icon_twisted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/radioshack-to-launch-first-wave-of-store-closing-sales-1423257675

YES. I just might swing by on my lunch break and clean out their ferric chloride and 60/40 solder :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Jdansti

Just checked my local store. Same high prices as of today.

Edit: I just found out that some stores are liquidating and some stores are not. I'm now at a store that is going to close, and everything is 30%-60% off. The only problem is the discounts aren't marked. You have to have the merchandise scanned at the counter to find out the discounted price. 
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

amptramp

Jdansti

I paid $18 (40% off) for a RadioShack brand variable speed rotary tool that looks as well made as a Dremel and $8 (also 40% off) for 8oz of 40/60 0.032" solder.

The meters were 40% off too, but even at that price, I couldn't justify adding another meter to the three I already own.

Let's hear what kind of deals other folks get.  Don't forget to call ahead to see if the store is closing.  Three out of four stores that are within 8 miles of me are closing.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Prince

Hey y'all, I'm a total noob and this is my first post!

What would y'all suggest I go and try to find/stockpile for my local Radioshacks?  Are there certain components, tools, etc., that y'all would recommend a beginner to start amassing? 

vigilante397

Welcome to the forum :)

Do they carry decent solder stations there? Because that would be an obvious buy if you don't already have a good one. I personally plan on stocking up on solder and ferric chloride, hoping to improve my etching technique. I may also look at pots, since I never seem to have enough around, and they also have some cheap "project enclosures" I might snag as well for projects that aren't worthy of a more expensive Hammond box yet.

EDIT: Just remembered, most Radio Shacks also carry breadboards, which are an EXCELLENT buy, especially for beginners ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

So I just got back from RadioShack and found out that my local store apparently isn't closing :-[ Nothing is on clearance, and the worker told me that they were told to expect everything to be as usual until mid-March. The other stores in the area, including the one in the city where I go to school 30 minutes away, are closing and are clearing out their inventory, so I'll probably swing by after class tomorrow.

And it turns out I'm not the only person in my town that buys ferric! Just yesterday they said a guy came in and cleared out all their inventory, and even wanted more than they had! ??? Maybe I'll have better luck at the other store.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

aron

armdnrdy

Thanks for that Aron.

There are two Radio Shacks in my town, Costa Mesa, California...about 1 1/2 miles apart..they are not on the list.  ;D

Govmnt_Lacky

Interesting....

Couldn't find my RS on the list anywhere.  :-\

Checked it 3 times.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

bluesdevil

So the stores not on the list will eventually become Sprint stores?
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: bluesdevil on February 10, 2015, 05:07:07 PM
So the stores not on the list will eventually become Sprint stores?

I don't know about that but....

My store is not on there and when I went to it this afternoon I was told "We haven't heard ANY news about closing."

Then again, they are the only RS in a 50+ mile radius so....  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

bluesdevil

Wow, I hate to think the employees are the last to know about their demise.

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy