Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloxstompboxes

Looks mine is staying but 3 in my home town of Louisville, KY are closing.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

Crowella

I think they were Tandy here? Anyway, John Oliver has shown how they should send themselves off.  :icon_lol:

Rhythm in jump, dancing close to you

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: Crowella on February 10, 2015, 07:47:28 PM
I think they were Tandy here? Anyway, John Oliver has shown how they should send themselves off.  :icon_lol:

Thanks for that! Funniest thing I have seen in quite awhile. Fond memories from the late '70s.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

armdnrdy

That is funny! You have to watch the whole thing!  ;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

vigilante397

That was priceless. I wish RadioShack would actually run that.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Bucksears

Went to my local one last night and MIRACULOUSLY go the last bottle of etchant, last 15 soldering iron tip, last silver-bearing solder and soldering braid.
Really sad to see them go - ironically, at the other end of the strip (there were only three stores) was Blockbuster....

vigilante397

I finally made it to the store close to my school, but this one was already cleaned out of ferric and solder of a usable size. I did manage to score a couple plastic enclosures about the size of a 125B, an aluminum enclosure a little bigger, a pack of 9V battery clips, some 1/4" jacks, a momentary switch (going to put a killswitch on the guitar) and some automatic wire strippers SUPER CHEAP. Like wow. I accidentally said "holy crap" out loud when he told me the total, and he responded "I know, right?" :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

reidk1960

Quote from: aron on February 10, 2015, 01:52:49 AM
Here's a list, but only 1 in Hawaii is closing!
http://personal.crocodoc.com/RWyNZ0R

I see three, actually:

981005 MOANALUA RD #110
AIEA HI 96701

WAIKELE CENTER #2B
94799 LUMIAINA ST
WAIPAHU HI 96797

NUUANU SHOPPING PLAZA
1613 NUUANU AVE #A11
HONOLULU HI 96817

Reid

aron

I missed those. So the Ala Moana store will keep going. Pearlridge will close as well. But a lot of smaller ones will continue I guess???

Luke51411

Nice deals you are finding! I almost wish my local shack was going out... Not really though the owner and manager are cool people, I'd feel bad for them. The manager drives a hearse with a custom license plate "dirt nap" I'm in a small town and I think the local branch does ok.

Quackzed

so i just ran to my local radio shack, (closing) and it was pretty barren... excepting ,of course, the parts bins!!  :D no surprise there! all the parts were 50% off...  :icon_neutral: not too great when you consider they're usually about 10 times more pricey than big online parts suppliers.
BUT!!! the 'guy' told me to check back next week, as everything will be FURTHER REDUCED!  :icon_smile: and the week after THAT, they'll be REDUCED AGAIN!!!
so I just wanted to share my findings. it seems week by week, stuff remaining on the shelves (meager as it may be) will continue to drop in price...
and we all know that nobody buys stuff from the parts bins... so if you check shacks that are closing in a few weeks you should be able to score some bits and bobs VERY CHEAPLY INDEED! 
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

boppy100

Checked my local Shack yesterday.  Nothing on sale until the weekend and max discount of 25%, aaaaaaaand all diy stuff has already been moved to another store 80 miles away.  Oh well   

aron

I might go this weekend, just to see what they have.

Govmnt_Lacky

Like I said before... the one by me is not on the list at all AND it is alive and kicking. Manager told me there was no word at all about closing. Everything still full (and outrageous) price!  :icon_rolleyes:  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Tony Forestiere

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

Gus

I have bought a few things at good discounts from the local stores but I felt a little sad.
In the 70's and 80's RS was a cool place to buy stuff and it had good books to learn from, even to the 90's I would buy boxes, tools, solder and other parts for projects and even the beginner project here was "designed " so you could buy most of the parts from RS.   I would still buy transformers and other things when I needed them from RS
It also was a good place to buy fuses when you needed them and could not wait.

One of the things I bought today was an over the air antenna to replace the old one, I was thinking where else could you walk in a store and buy an over the air antenna made in the USA.

It is sad.

vigilante397

I just realized I don't know where to buy solder anymore :icon_eek: I literally have never bought solder anywhere else in my life.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Jdansti

^ I've only bought it at the Shack too. Do you have a Fry's nearby?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

J0K3RX

I went in the local RS yesterday and bought some stuff.. I asked the dude working if this was one of the locations that was getting closed or transformed into a Sprint store. He said "nope" it's here to stay.. I'm thinkin in my mind 'yeah right' at least that's what corporate wants you to think... Especially if they want to keep the revenue flowing smoothly till the last moment, they don't want a bunch of employees jumpin ship prematurely... Oh no, not like I haven't ever been in that kind of situation before..  :icon_rolleyes: When they make it a point to have a company meeting and tell you that you have nothing to worry about, be very worried! Start lookin or ride it out and collect your unemployment that amounts to just a dollar shy of jack sh!t.
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

vigilante397

Quote from: Jdansti on February 15, 2015, 01:52:12 AM
^ I've only bought it at the Shack too. Do you have a Fry's nearby?

Nope, closest Fry's is several hundred miles away. Do hardware stores carry solder? I have a Home Depot, ACE, and Harbor Freight nearby. Guess I'll start looking there? ???
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com