Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saint Louis Toneworks

The Radio Shack near my house is staying open. If you know what you are buying, they have great products. I love their large roll of solder because i know its mixed right for electronics. I started using it when I used to set up guitars and do wiring harnesses - I use a RS 30 watt gun for 9.99 and dont think you need anything fancier, it works perfect. the solder leaves nice shiny connections; and they carry the replacement tips. I use their flux as well

Not to mention, as I just found out, all of learning labs from Beavis Audio use the RS A-J 1-30 board , makes it pretty easy to follow that way. I think they cost a lot more but their stuff is nice. The other components I would buy, way overpriced and made more for radio controlled cars, boats and those drone copters thingies

is shortwave radio still popular? I used to listen to art bell, I still have a 61 silvertone 10 transistor but its not long banded...I use it to listen to cardinal baseball broadcasts

vigilante397

I hit up the local still-staying-open Radioshack yesterday and found that the stock of things I needed was disappointingly low, but the sales associate assured me that "We can order in anything we don't have for you." Are they still trying not to go out of business?
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

armdnrdy

It may be up to a judge. If the "auction" is deemed unfair...the liquidator/largest debt holder may win the auction and shut down all of the stores.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/26/us-radioshack-bankruptcy-idUSKBN0MM2MO20150326
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Luke51411

Quote from: armdnrdy on March 26, 2015, 04:19:47 PM
It may be up to a judge. If the "auction" is deemed unfair...the liquidator/largest debt holder may win the auction and shut down all of the stores.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/26/us-radioshack-bankruptcy-idUSKBN0MM2MO20150326
I wonder how that bodes for franchise stores? My local store manager is quick to note that it is a franchise store not a corporate store and the bankruptcy thing doesn't affect them the same way it does the corporate stores. He also says "we're not going anywhere." He also just acquired his second hearse and puts on a hearsefest downtown one weekend in the summer. He says it drives surprisingly well in the snow.

armdnrdy

Quote from: Luke51411 on March 26, 2015, 04:35:32 PM
He says it drives surprisingly well in the snow.

As it should! The deceased deserve a nice smooth ride to their final resting place!
And could you imagine being late for your own funeral because you're stuck in the snow?  :icon_wink:
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

PRR

> "We can order in anything we don't have for you." Are they still trying not to go out of business?

Part of going out of business is turning the surplus inventory into money.

And I worked in the RS warehouse.... it was huge and stocked high.

If there is a hot customer in Idaho, they should be ordering-in all you will buy.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

Quote from: armdnrdy on March 26, 2015, 04:55:28 PM
Quote from: Luke51411 on March 26, 2015, 04:35:32 PM
He says it drives surprisingly well in the snow.

As it should! The deceased deserve a nice smooth ride to their final resting place!
And could you imagine being late for your own funeral because you're stuck in the snow?  :icon_wink:

"someone" would have to get out and push.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

armdnrdy

Quote from: duck_arse on March 27, 2015, 09:47:55 AM
"someone" would have to get out and push.

Not if you're in the right vehicle!

duck_arse

you'd need tall pall bearers, and fast runners, too!
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

armdnrdy

Even in sunny Southern California...if it is God's will...you are not getting to your own funeral on time!...but...at least you have someone to hang out with on the side of the road!  :icon_wink:

brianq

Just went there the other day, what a total waste of time!!! If they're real going under then I say the sooner the better!!! Radio Shack was the reason I got into electronics in the 1st place :icon_cry:They shoulda let Best Buy sell TVs & Cell Phones cuz they sure don't know how to! Not looking forward to a going out of business sale cuz they don't have anything I'm looking for.

tacobender

Felt bad for these guys at my local shack thats closing down, they were always willing to help me out when i started doing diy projects. But it didn't take long for me to realize how overpriced they really are, not to mention understocked. I guess their glory days were before my time, especially when i bought a tackle box at a swap meet full of radio shack parts from the 70's, all good quality Japanese made stuff. Sure wish i had a stockpile of that sort.

garcho

there will never be a brick and mortar store that sells everything we want, it's a lovely dream though...
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

armdnrdy

Quote from: garcho on March 30, 2015, 10:42:06 AM
there will never be a brick and mortar store that sells everything we want, it's a lovely dream though...

armdnrdy

Well...it looks like the judge gave RadioShack a "new" lease on life!

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/radioshack-bankrupcy-deal/