Radio Shack to go under

Started by armdnrdy, December 17, 2013, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amptramp

That last one looks like it may have been from when Eisenhower was in office.

tubegeek

Quote from: amptramp on January 26, 2014, 08:01:25 PM
That last one looks like it may have been from when Eisenhower was in office.

Yup: 1957. Scanned from the pages of QSC magazine, the house publication of the ARRL - a ham radio specialty title.

That dual high-voltage power supply kit was a screaming deal, I wish I had gotten in on it.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

garcho

50 to 11k was "hi-fi" in `57.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

haveyouseenhim

Hey, If radioshack goes under at least my local store manager has another career lined up.  :icon_mrgreen:

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

CodeMonk

rutabaga bob

Anyone catch the Shack ad during the Super Bowl?  It doesn't sound like they're planning to fold. 
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

armdnrdy

Quote from: rutabaga bob on February 04, 2014, 10:32:03 AM
Anyone catch the Shack ad during the Super Bowl?  It doesn't sound like they're planning to fold.  

In case anybody missed it...here it is:

http://techland.time.com/2014/02/03/radio-shack-commercial-super-bowl/

I look at this as a last ditch effort to change it's image. Radio Shack is still in dire straits!

This move still leads us back to the question...what will they do different to stand out from the crowd?
Why will people want to flock to Radio Shack to purchase goods that they can buy online or at another known retailer?

I believe that this is the same business model that they tried when they brought in all of the cell phones......it hasn't worked.
That move just prolonged a slow, agonizing downward spiral.

What the commercial tells me is during their "restructuring", don't be surprised if they lose the electronic component section for a Dr. Dre Beats headphone display.  :icon_wink:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15703436&CAWELAID=120125420000004434&catargetid=120125420000031801&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJXozbnrsrwCFeV_QgodPl8Arw
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: armdnrdy on February 04, 2014, 10:59:17 AM
Why will people want to flock to Radio Shack to purchase goods that they can buy online or at another known retailer?

Because you can receive personalized assistance from a knowledgable staff!  ::)  :icon_lol:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Jdansti

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on February 04, 2014, 03:18:06 AM
Hey, If radioshack goes under at least my local store manager has another career lined up.  :icon_mrgreen:

I could actually make out one or two words in the "song" by reading the subtitles.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Mac Walker

rutabaga bob

I was also curious as to what's left for them to hustle - and where is PinkJimiPhoton going to get those aluminum project boxes now?  ;) 

I hadn't seen the store-closing thing...

Jdansti

Maybe just resort to Home Depot electrical boxes with blank cover plates. I've got a few projects in those and they're inexpensive and indestructible. He could use them for self defense when the girls storm the stage. ;)
  • SUPPORTER

tubegeek

I was thinking the other day about getting two of the blank junction box plates and fastening them together with some kind of standoffs maybe 1.5" tall? Wrap a strip of sheet metal around the outside, maybe pop-rivet the ends together, and you'd have a good size for a stompbox.

The stock junction boxes are too deep really, they look weird.

My idea kind of blows the whole "cheap and easy thing" though.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Jdansti

Some are pretty deep and look funny. Others aren't as deep and look funny too. On the other hand, if you don't care about looks, they're roomy inside. I could see them as good enclosures for someone who gigs a lot or tours. Based on the rig rundowns of professionals and my discussions with friends who gig a lot, pedals often get thrown around and end up looking pretty crappy anyway.

I buy the boxes with 1/2" knockout holes and use big washers as adapters.

Here's an old one of mine from when I started building these things. Notice the Radio Shack knobs... ;)

• SUPPORTER

rutabaga bob

Since we've strayed this way, I use the 4" square junction boxes, too.  There are some really nice ones in a thread about enclosures here on the forum, done by Mojotronics - really nice paint jobs!

Hemmel

RS is called "The Source" in Canada (or at least in Québec). I went there recently because I wanted to get some RCA jacks as soon as possible, as I bought some from Tayda at 0,17$ each but shipping was taking for ever.
RS sells a pair for 5,99$... When I tried to leave the store, a clerk stopped me asking why I wasn't buying anything. I laughed and left.
Bââââ.

wavley

In the middle of a pedalboard rearrange, if you look at the lower left of the board there is a 4x4 junction box with a RG inspired Hum Free ABY, to isolate a stereo signal from my amps. in the upper right houses a buffered splitter to go to my vocoder carrier input and the other is my normal signal path built in one of the Rat Shack VHF/UHF booster/splitter boxes
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

garcho

Quotepedals often get thrown around and end up looking pretty crappy anyway.

Road scars! Man, sometimes at the end of the night, you just wanna leave, ya know?

It's financially impossible to have a brick and mortar store that sells electronic components without being subsidized by other income. RS never was an electronics store, they were a 'hobbyist' store, not a B&M Tayda. I don't see where everyone's expectations are coming from.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

tony grazioso

I always dug using the outlet boxes myself along with the Radio Shack knobs...the pic is quite old and pedal board doesn't even exist anymore, in this form.

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"