pedal ideas for 3d printer

Started by JohnForeman, December 24, 2013, 08:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnForeman

i'm about to build up a couple more pedals.  nothing fancy, just a couple AB loop pedals.   Anywho, it got me to thinking about how i could possibly use my 3d printer to make some cool pedals.  The only thing i can really think of to print that would be custom are knobs.  Anyone else have any ideas on what i could print to make for a cool pedal?

haveyouseenhim

I have always wanted to make a 3D graphic plate. 

Or some cheesy knobs.....

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

wildebelor

you could make some rad slanted enclosures  :icon_idea: :icon_twisted:
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

knutolai

how about PCBs? I know soldering irons would melt the plastic if applied directly, but I guess it could be used for some kind of point-to-pint tying-component-legs-together sort of thing?

jubal81

Optoisolator housings. You could design your own footprints. Just add LEDs and LDRs.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: jubal81 on December 25, 2013, 08:23:48 PM
Optoisolator housings. You could design your own footprints. Just add LEDs and LDRs.

You sir, are a genius.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Mustachio

Nice! What kinda 3d printer do ya got ? And what 3d modeling software do you use ? Do you use STL format models for this or can you use other formats as long as they are water tight ?

I've got a few idea's but they might be dependent on what your set up is and what materials you can extrude. Can you get or do you have a Clear filament to extrude ?

I would test out making add on parts to the enclosure for deco.

Here's an Idea 2 flexing muscle arms toward the top of the enclosure on the sides that wrap to the back and will hold onto the cables when their plugged in. Then Maybe do a 3d face for the top of the pedal so the knobs are the eyes led nose and maybe a plastic cap for the foot switch that looks like a mouth. If you do that the theme and names are countless!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

JohnForeman

This sounds a little above my pedal skill level but it would be interesting if you need something like this. Once I knew what was needed, I could design and print something for you.

JohnForeman

Quote from: Mustachio on December 26, 2013, 12:39:46 AM
Nice! What kinda 3d printer do ya got ? And what 3d modeling software do you use ? Do you use STL format models for this or can you use other formats as long as they are water tight ?

I have a solidoodle 3. It can print 8"x8"x8". More than enough for pedal work. I design with catia then the models are converted to stl format which is what the printer needs.  The material is abs plastic and it can be purchased in clear.
Good idea on the arms for cable holders. It's ideas like that I'm looking for. I'm considering designing and printing a complete enclosure. I found some paint that has iron in it that I think could be used to shield it from noise.  Just not sure what pedal to build.

Arn C.

How about some of those DOD pedal battery covers?

Arn C.

JohnForeman

Quote from: Arn C. on December 26, 2013, 09:36:14 AM
How about some of those DOD pedal battery covers?

Arn C.

You know, I did think of that. I have two boss pedals that still have the covers but notice everyone seems to have lost or broken theirs.  I may consider that. Maybe I could sell them for a few bucks on eBay.   

deadastronaut

pot labels... :icon_idea:

tone, vol, gain etc..just a washer that goes under the pot nut, with a tab for the label. different size for different knobs. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

JohnForeman

Quote from: deadastronaut on December 26, 2013, 07:13:53 PM
pot labels... :icon_idea:

tone, vol, gain etc..just a washer that goes under the pot nut, with a tab for the label. different size for different knobs. ;)

Another great idea

deadastronaut

i was just thinking if the text was cut out then the pedals colour would also highlight the text too.. 8)

: led diffusers/bezels..little cap to go on top of leds. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

alanp

Rob, that's a great idea! Black plastic for light colour enclosures, white for dark blue/black.

Could be a good little moneymaker for someone, perhaps. The part of the plastic washer that goes under the metal washer, just plastic, and the part that sticks out past the metal washer is cut out to form words, no inking needed.

JohnForeman

Quote from: alanp on December 26, 2013, 07:47:17 PM
Rob, that's a great idea! Black plastic for light colour enclosures, white for dark blue/black.

Could be a good little moneymaker for someone, perhaps. The part of the plastic washer that goes under the metal washer, just plastic, and the part that sticks out past the metal washer is cut out to form words, no inking needed.

i'll design something up this weekend and see how it comes out.. stay tuned!

As for making money.. these printers are super slow.  not really a money maker.

stallik

Perhaps not money making as a label but what if they were just used as stencils? 1 set could be used over and over. Place, mask, spray, remove. I could use a set like that - with 6.5 point text in bit dust font, -5 kerning.....mmm talking myself out of this one - perhaps just custom orders?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Mark Hammer

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on December 25, 2013, 10:41:08 PM

You sir, are a genius.
I concur.  Rather than any sort of sealed thing, though, I would suggest a two-part snap arrangement for relatively standard parts.  That is, a sort of "saddle" for a specific size of LED and LDR.  You seat them in their little saddle (which will provide a standardized distance and "posture"), and snap the other half of the assembly over it; not unlike the ferrite covers one can get for cables, like the one shown below.  The entire thing can be made more light-tight as well as solid by a simple piece of heat-shrink.

duck_arse

similar to what the other DA said, but what about "input" and "output", or "axe" and "amp" to go under jacks? floating labels, no need for front panel work EVER AGAIN!
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

JohnForeman

ok guys, post up some sketches with some basic dimensions and i'll get working on it