Author Topic: Please let me know if you have built this project  (Read 375039 times)

Jamforthelamb

Re: Please let me know if you have built this project
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2006, 10:11:53 AM »
Yep, no problem. You can also get a 2n2222 anytime later.

I have the trans. socketed, and plan on experimenting with a 2n2222 when I acutually get a guitar run through the circuit (I still haven't  :icon_redface: ). Is the 2n2222 prefered over the 2n3904 ?

I used Dragonfly's layout for this: http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album18/GUS_NPN_BOOST
How would I incorporate the mod into this setup ? I have it wired exactly as shown, but I haven't soldered the wires to the 5k pot yet.

Thanks!
JFTL

sjhusting

« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2006, 02:05:32 AM »
Hi Aron

built it the day before yesterday. It was my second shot at it; it worked this time. Played with it last night. The booster has a nice cozy relationship with my telecaster (which is the guitar I built it for) but my humbucker-equipped archtop doesn't like it much. Haven't tried it yet with my es-125.

thanks for your site, i've learned a lot from it.

steven husting

Gus

« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2006, 07:44:22 PM »

There is no best transistor for it.  What I mean almost any small  NPN Si transistor should work.  Some people like the lower Hfe ones and others the higher.  So try it and have fun.

Now when a boost/dist/fuzz circuit sounds good with a  single coil but not so good with a humbucker often reducing the input cap size can help with the humbucker.  Try rangemaster size input caps or try different sizes.  By changing the parts you can get the sound you want but remember what sounds good at home often will not sound good live because of the vol change and  open back speakers, making the input cap to the booster/dist/fuzz smaller can often help.

NCMercury

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2006, 05:39:48 PM »
:D Just completed my pedal. Worked first time (once I had the transistor around the right way). I was surprised at just how good it sounds.
I used  a 2N2222A- Which was all I could find. Some parts are hard to get down here in New Zealand, but it sound great anyway.

Lessons learned:
1: Use smaller gauge wire
2: Use longer lengths of wire between components so they are easier to mount.

This was a fun project, anyone got any suggestions for a good second project?

Cheers Aron.

aron

« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2006, 02:13:11 AM »
I guess I would try a Fuzz Face. It's not too much more difficult.

aron

AzzR

• Great Contributor!
  • Azza - To Much Is Usually Excessive
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2006, 08:53:27 AM »
Look pretty cool

What sounds are gotten from using the input diode?

Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

aron

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2006, 06:21:54 PM »
Smoother overdrive and slight compression.

Jereb

« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2006, 08:22:20 AM »
Yup... just joined the forum, and studied the schematic until my eyes got sore.  :icon_eek:   It took me a few tries (and the realization that I forgot to buy the transistor) to get it right, but it's working. A little high in tone for my liking, but I'll replace the 47 cap with something lower. Thanks for the great info you guys!

ChamberMonk

« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2006, 11:18:25 AM »
Ok I just finished it. For a first attampt im glad it works.

The huge booster nob is from the Ministry Of Defence lol.

I can think of a way though that would only have required a couple of bits of wire and a volume nob to work really though. All that work its a bit of a letr down when all u end up with is a volume boost. lol. ALthough if i put my amp to full i can get a cool asound efefct by spining the MOD boost nob lol.

I had no acceszs to a drill meaning i had to saw a square hokle and melt a round hole then selotape away!

aron

« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2006, 05:40:52 PM »
I LOVE IT!

eugewong

« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2006, 01:10:52 PM »
I needed 2 tries but I got it!

First time I was too ambitious, tried to get the board as compact as possible, led, 3pdt switch...the works. I got sound with that one, but no boost.

2nd time round, took the advice and just wired straight to the jacks, no switch, and after twiddling with the direction of the transistor, BOOST! And it does sound pretty good! Up till about 90% of the pot though, that last 10% is pretty nasty distortion. Nonetheless, it definitely sound booteek! Coz I built it!  ;D

I'm all excited about this now, thanks for all the help Aron!

btw, where can I get the wiring directions to wire up the pedal to be powered up by an adaptor?

Eugene

ChamberMonk

« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2006, 10:58:46 AM »
I LOVE IT!

Im gonna start experimenting nextr just sort of ptuting bits in almost random places to start building a big circuit board which i oculd use for gigs if i join a band at some point. :)

patman

« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2006, 02:12:30 PM »
I just finished the board last night and I hooked it up and it worked!
I am still waiting for the enclosure to arrive. I can't wait.

I've been thinking about doing a MXR distortion + for my next build. Do you think that that would be a good second build?

aron

« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2006, 01:58:04 AM »
With patience, yes, you can build a distortion+. I did  ;D

Breke

« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »
I just recently finished the booster, and I must say I'm happy with the result! It gave a nice and cleand boost at lower levels and a slight, crunchy distortion when I turned the pot  close to max which I liked very much. It was really fun building it, and I will most definately continue exploring this vast and fabulous world known as DIY electronics ;)
Here are a few pics of the result:

The building went well and I didn't have any real problems until I was about to mount it all in the box. I can't understand how people are able to cram all the parts of larger projects so neatly in the encouslure, mine felt a bit like a mess even though it has only one pot and a small board, and I haven't even wired the DC-jack yet :P Ah well, I suppose I will be able to refine those skills sooner or later...

Thanks alot Aron, and all others who have contributed to this forum with questions and answers, it has been a great help!

Breke

« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2006, 01:30:08 PM »
Hmm, maybe I should have compressed the pics a bit more :icon_rolleyes:

aron

« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »
I LOVE IT!

IMPRESSIVE!

KORGULL

« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2006, 09:35:05 PM »
That actually looks like some neat wiring and soldering work there.

BGillis

« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2006, 04:18:42 PM »
Just finished... Sounds great... My first circuit. It took me 3 tries and taught me some valuable lessons.
Lesson #1 - Get new glasses
Lesson #2 - Until then, use a magnifying glass so you can read Lesson #1...  :icon_rolleyes:

This is a great forum. Can't believe it's 3 years old and I just found it.
I want to build the Umble but would rather use a PCB 'cause my soldering isn't the greatest. I tried the ExpressSCH & ExpressPCB software but I think I'm a little to electronically challenged to make the proper PCB. They can't use Pablo De Luca's PDF so I guess I'll start asking around to see if someone could send me or post the .pcb file from their ExpressPCB program. Otherwise I'll be wasting $51.00 I'm sure.

Keep Smilin'
Brian