Author Topic: Please let me know if you have built this project  (Read 374778 times)

alvintang

Re: Please let me know if you have built this project
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2006, 05:48:54 AM »
im finally done with all the soldering for the npn booster :icon_biggrin:i havent try it with my guitar yet as my amp just blew couple wks back, but the LED did work when i did a test just now. just hope everything will work in the end :icon_rolleyes:

Hiwatt25

« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2006, 10:54:55 AM »
I built this project and really like it.  Thanks for a great jumping off point. Mine is noisy when it's turned all the way up and even picks up a local Indian music station here in Danbury.  Very funny.  I posted on this and RG gave me some good tips for eliminating the interference.

Here's a pictue in case anyone is interested.

Now, on to a fuzz...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:59:17 AM by Hiwatt25 »

aron

« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2006, 04:41:13 PM »
Looks great. Good job!

RobertUI

« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2006, 04:48:45 PM »
I'll take a picture when I have completed my mods (its already in pieces again) , but after successfully building a fuzzface, I finally did my homework as suggested by the guru's and built this project. I already prefer it to my MicroAmp.

I am adding the Volume pot as others have done here, but I am curious to know if I can add a tone control to this, much the same way that a tone control is hooked up in a guitar pickup wiring diagram. I am certain that it won't be that easy, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd certainly appreciate it. BTW This project was an amazing learning experience for me, even after having diddled around with a soldering iron for years, I can't believe how much I learned in the process (I experimented some).

Thanks to Aron and all of the other guru-s on here!
Robert

:D

aron

« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2006, 08:24:01 PM »
Check out:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simplemods#Simple.2C_Easy_Mods.2FTips_.26_Techniques

This will work well. You can put it right before the 100K resistor on the end (or the volume control if you added one)

The "shortcut way":

10K outer lug to signal
wiper (middle) to .01uF cap lead
other lead of cap to ground

The "more correct way""
10K outer lug and wiper to signal
Other outer lug to .01uF cap lead
other lead of cap to ground

Both are the same and work. The more correct way is a little more insurance in case something happens to the wiper but either way works fine.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 08:27:24 PM by aron »

RobertUI

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2006, 09:15:09 PM »
once again you come up with awesome information! thanks aron so much, for keeping the DIY world alive. i really do appreciate what you have to offer all of us!

sorry i missed your easy mod page, i understand what you've written here, and now i have an excuse to use one of the 10K pots that i have lying around :D

thanks again!

aron

« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2006, 10:32:23 PM »
Good luck with your mod!

RobertUI

« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2006, 09:32:46 PM »
I haven't been able to put the tone control in yet, but I wanted to ask a question before proceeding. I just noticed that the booster volume (which was obviously NOT a part of the circuit) brings my entire signal to nothing when I turn it all the way down. The exact same thing happens with my Fuzz Face which I have lived with, b/c I didn't really give it much thought until my buddy was checking out the pedal. I am fairly certain that I used a linear pot (was lying around) when I am now realizing that I should have used an audio pot, could that be my issue with both pedals? When you get the volume to what I would call 4, it starts increasing the volume past unity, but below that it ends up muting the signal completely.

The other question that I have is again something that I notice in both the fuzz face and the booster. When I drop my guitar volume the SLIGHTEST amount, I lose all of the subtleties of the effect, the volume drops completely and it seems like the effects don't work as they should (I can describe more if desired). When the volume on the guitar is pegged, both effects act exactly as I would expect them to, with no noise, and no other issues (other than the volume noted above). Is this normal behavior?

Thanks again for all of your help. If you would like some readings, I can get them for you, but this SEEMS like a simple issue that I should be able to work out. If you want to just tell me to go away, that'd be understandable too :D

Rob

Funk

« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2006, 12:09:41 AM »
I finished it a week or so ago when I got my switches (thanks Aron, they came superfast to Australia!) but I still haven't boxed it as I don't ave a vice/drill bits yet.

Just about to start the B. Blender which no doubt i'll break something!

Thanks!

aron

« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2006, 02:39:02 AM »
I just noticed that the booster volume (which was obviously NOT a part of the circuit) brings my entire signal to nothing when I turn it all the way down.

That is correct. It is a volume control. Part of volume is being able to completely turn the output off. If you don't want this, put a resistor in series (in between ground and the pot lug). Try 4.7K or so and it if is too soft, increase the value, if it's too loud, decrease the value of the resistor - or use a trim pot internally wired as a variable resistor.

>When I drop my guitar volume the SLIGHTEST amount, I lose all of the subtleties of the effect, the volume drops completely and it seems like the effects don't work as they should (I can describe more if desired).

More likely the guitar. Explore a treble bypass cap on the guitar volume control - it's probably the highs you are losing as you turn your volume down on the guitar.

RobertUI

« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2006, 06:21:24 AM »
Aron,

Thanks for the confirmation on the volume pot and the other info, this makes me feel like I didn't make this incorrectly after all :-) I'll post my progress. What a great learning tool this has become!

Thanks again,
Rob

aron

« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2006, 07:45:01 PM »
Fun isn't it!??

Check out the wirogram from Kinman's web site re: treble bypass cap

http://www.kinman.com/images/inside/toneWorkshop/tone/Strat_Wirogram.PDF

petesguitar1

« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2006, 08:57:22 PM »
I've built quite a few bits and pieces now, and I'm having fun. I decided to have a crack at this one (my first perfboard) but to make it a little more challenging I did my own layout staight from the schematic. I used a 2N5088 and boxed it up. Works like a dream! Actually works so well that it's going to my second guitarists pedal board! Thanks heaps!
Excuse Me While I Kiss The Sky

aron

« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2006, 09:01:01 PM »
GREAT!!!!!!

petesguitar1

« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2006, 01:28:19 AM »
Well, couldn't help myself, had some bits and pieces lying around so I built another one, but this time I used DC power. I didn't have a 5k pot, so I used a 25k pot and although the taper is a bit off, it's still an arse kicking boost and it is whisper quiet. Now for the corker! I couldn't find anything to put it in, and had this spare so a Super Bright LED, a few extra holes and voila....

The pot is currently inside the chassis, if I can find a small enough pot and know, I would like to put one in the middle of the "O" of VOX or I may put a SPDT switch in there to switch in and out a pair of clipping diodes - who knows!?!?!

Thankyou again Aron!

petesguitar1

« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2006, 04:27:33 AM »
Well, it seems easy come, easy go! Was working fine, then I went and bought a 5k Pot, installed it and all hell broke loose. Now I get like a splutter fuzz kind of thing going on. It goes really loud and then cuts out, and then sputters. It's bizzarre. I've tried 2 5k pots so now I think I'll try my 25k again

aron

« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2006, 05:33:22 PM »
That is too weird. It should work properly with the 5K pot.

petesguitar1

« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2006, 08:05:09 PM »
I think I may have bought some dodgy pots. 4 in a row all did the same thing, but when I put the 25k back in it worked fine. Speaking of pots, do you know where I can buy small ones (I buy mine from Dick Smith here in Australia and none of the knobs fit them. GRRRRRR.

aron

« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2006, 09:28:51 PM »
Small Bear sells the smaller pots. Did you measure your 5K pots? Turn all the way one way and measure from an outer lug and the wiper with your meter set to ohms. If you read ZERO, turn the pot all the way in the opposite direction and measure again.

petesguitar1

« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2006, 09:50:48 PM »
They seem to be really inconsistent, so I'm guessing I got some bad ones - no biggie, I'll buy from smallbear  :) I'm going to add a switch for distortion, so I'm just wondering if this would work...

After 10uF capacitor, I will run a wire to the 2nd lug of a SPDT switch. 1st lug will go through 2 diodes (will 1N4004 work?) both of which are connected to ground. The signal runs through both of them then to the output. The 3rd lug of the SPDT switch will go straight to the output.

[----------Diode-----Gnd-> 
                                                      LUG1      [----------edoiD-----Gnd->

---10uF--------->  LUG2                                              ---------------Output

LUG3       [--------------------------->

Sorry if that's really confusing (I wrote diode backwards to show it waqs going the other way!)