Author Topic: Please let me know if you have built this project  (Read 374689 times)

GibsonGM

• more
  • Awesome!
  • Mike Parker (aka. Guitar Mike, Parks, etc)
Re: Please let me know if you have built this project
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2006, 10:15:33 PM »

The diode clipping looks good...the other lug is just unused to bypass the distortion.  Check out the AMZ page, they have tons of info on clipping!!  ;)
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

RobertUI

« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2006, 08:30:47 AM »
Aron,

Thanks for the confirmation on the volume pot and the other info, this makes me feel like I didn't make this incorrectly after all :-) I'll post my progress. What a great learning tool this has become!

Thanks again,
Rob

Well, I have it all completed, and now have my 3 knob booster with an LED. This thing's really sweet. I'm not sure how usable the tone control is at this point, but I may keep playing with that. Thanks again for the great info Aron!

Rob

cat

« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2006, 04:49:13 AM »
It works! Finally, after 2 attemps and much much trouble shooting, Ive got a circuit that works. I love the way it pushes my Fender Champ into overdrive heaven :) The volume swell is just phenomenal.

Great circuit.

Thanks to Aron and all that have helped answer my annoying noobie questions.

Cat

aron

« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2006, 04:59:09 AM »
Great! Congratulations! Can you tell us what problems you encountered?

cat

« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2006, 06:19:53 AM »
Well the problems I encountered were all my own fault.

Basically I used the wrong resistors in some places.

I felt proud of my DPDT no LED hookup diagram though  :D

Cat

2kas

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »
So this is my first own-built effect, thanks to aron :).
I had some difficulties with it, cause it didn't want to work for me. The problem was that the input, the part itself, was bad, but now it's ok, IT WORKS! :)
The other problem is that I could only get a linear pot, and it really makes a difference. I've scaned all the radio-part shops in Vilnius(the capital of Lithuania, where I live..), and they didn't have any non-linear pots. It really sucks, still don't know what to do..  ???

As far as I am not going to use it for a guitar, I haven't made a box for it, it looks like this:

The soldering is terrible but, you know, I just need more practice.. :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks again aron, for a really nice and usefull website!  :icon_idea:

aron

« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2006, 03:53:54 PM »
Good job. Just snip off the unused leads with a wire snipper.

Nice to see the work of others.

ubersam

Yessir, I did.
« Reply #187 on: September 13, 2006, 04:36:32 PM »
I built this booster last night. I was looking for a clean boost to use after a TS Clone I'm building. I tried the LBP2 and my build was more like a very mild overdrive. Additionally, it did not seem to have added much in terms of volume. It sounded fine but it was not what I was looking for. The NPN Booster fits my needs better: cleaner and louder. It seems to add some treble though, giving the strings a bit stiffer 'feel'. Would adding a tone control, to bleed off some treble, help 'soften' things up a bit? I am also considering the addition of a volume level control. I drew up an NPN Booster schematic based on the G. Smalley original and included the tone and level circuits where I think they would go (in red, see below). Would this be correct?

Also, I added a pulldown resistor as a precautionary measure.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:55:03 PM by ubersam »

Gus

« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2006, 05:57:55 PM »
you might like this.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/gusOverdrive.gif

it has a mid boost and top end roll off with a small amount of parts

ubersam

« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2006, 06:50:23 PM »
Thanks Gus. It looks interesting. I'm trying to learn so I hope you would not mind some questions. Would R5/C3 be the mid boost, and the R7/C5 the treble roll-off? Referring to my diagram, would the tone and volume control ideas work?

Hiwatt25

« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »
I just built this again for the second time only this time I added a mod (with help from others on the forum) that allows me to switch the input cap.  Now I can switch between treble and full boost.  Bitchin!  Thanks again Aron and Gus.

Shannon

« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2006, 02:58:50 AM »
Well, I just finished this the other day. I used this stripboard layout though, as it's much more compact (and easier to use :p). I must say, this little thing can get pretty damn loud.

Here's a few pics. Keep in mind my camera sucks at close-up shots.

ubersam

« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2006, 02:46:03 PM »
here is my build outside the box:

I am using the booster after an option loaded TS, but instead of having two separate boxes, I have both housed in the same box.

Hiwatt25

« Reply #193 on: October 21, 2006, 08:11:58 PM »
Okay, so I just build this again (third time) but for a friend this time.  Hey, it's a great little circuit why not go with a good thing?  Figured I'd include a picture this time.  The toggle just switches between input caps so you can have treble boost or full boost.  Thanks again to Gus for a cool circuit. 

aron

« Reply #194 on: October 21, 2006, 08:56:24 PM »
Nice!!!!!!!

PNG123

« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »
Okay, so I just build this again (third time) but for a friend this time.  Hey, it's a great little circuit why not go with a good thing?  Figured I'd include a picture this time.  The toggle just switches between input caps so you can have treble boost or full boost.  Thanks again to Gus for a cool circuit. 

Is this mod easy to do?
Might aswell try it since i haven't got down to building this project yet

D-7

« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2006, 01:01:24 AM »
Built the npn boost a few weeks ago and I have caught the disease (despite the numerous warnings).
Building both a bazz fuzz, a dist+ and even making my own housings from scrap sheet metal.

aron

« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2006, 02:17:21 AM »
Congratulations!

jcwillow777

« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2007, 03:51:29 PM »
I started building this pedal today. I got it working, but without any switch. It sounded pretty good. That's where I started having problems. I tried to wire it up to a mono input jack, as in Brian Wamplers book on building effects pedals - beginners. It didn't work. So, I tried it to a stereo jack as in your picture, but the same results. My brain is fried. I can't think any more so I'm gonna put it away and jam for a while. I know the switch works, cause I pulled it off a pedal, not in a case that was working.

jcwillow777

It lives!!
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2007, 10:11:23 PM »
I started building this pedal today. I got it working, but without any switch. It sounded pretty good. That's where I started having problems. I tried to wire it up to a mono input jack, as in Brian Wamplers book on building effects pedals - beginners. It didn't work. So, I tried it to a stereo jack as in your picture, but the same results. My brain is fried. I can't think any more so I'm gonna put it away and jam for a while. I know the switch works, cause I pulled it off a pedal, not in a case that was working.

I figured it out - the battery was too low voltage (6.67V) and the LED was burnt. This thing adds a lot of volume. Next is to put in in a case and add the 9VDC jack. Thanks for a great project Aron!!