DIY predictions for 2014

Started by R.G., January 01, 2014, 01:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thelonious

Quote from: duck_arse on January 20, 2014, 10:05:28 AM
it can now be used unplugged, for all the "strohtocaster" players.

^ Bahaha

Next up: homebrew effects that work as a physical extension of the instrument, like the horn on the stroh violin. All guitarists start looking like a one-man band with odd projections and strange devices that connect and disconnect from their instrument.

Here's my distortion effect idea, engaged with lever action:

Pojo

Hahahaha! That reminds me of my first ever guitar I could call 'mine'. I was maybe 12 at the time and it was a trash picked nylon string acoustic. I taped pennies to the thing and rocked out some power chords. My dad must've felt sorry for me because it wasn't long after that he let me keep his '71 Les Paul and a Peavey bandit in my room. The beginning of it all.....ahhhhh yes! Thanks for the memory jolt  ;)

Anyone ever try the brickwall flanger? Just strap on the penny/snare distortion acoustic, face a brick wall and pace forwards and backwards from 5' away to 5" away....rinse and repeat. Rate is determined by leg muscle, still working on the feedback part of the circuit....and through-zero attempts have been rather painful so far.

rousejeremy

Modding all our pedals back to their original circuits.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Perrow

Quote from: rousejeremy on January 21, 2014, 10:42:04 PM
Modding all our pedals back to their original circuits.

Modding my pedals usually brings them back to the original "worked before I boxed it up"-state, at least for a while  :icon_mrgreen:
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

wavley

Quote from: amptramp on January 11, 2014, 10:53:54 AM
A new line of delays will come out with a fixed 2.58 second delay.  This is obtained by modulating an RF carrier, aiming it at the moon and recovering the returned signal.  This effect will only be available for the half of the day that the moon is visible.  Recording studios will adjust their schedules accordingly.

Working on it!

Quote from: wavley on July 16, 2009, 11:28:33 AM
A few of the guys that I work with are ham radio enthusiasts.  I wonder if I can convince one of them to let me make the Lunar Echo Transceiver and be the first to bounce a guitar off the moon in time to honor Apollo 11!
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Digital Larry

Quote from: Pojo on January 20, 2014, 12:44:05 PM
Anyone ever try the brickwall flanger? Just strap on the penny/snare distortion acoustic, face a brick wall and pace forwards and backwards from 5' away to 5" away....rinse and repeat. Rate is determined by leg muscle, still working on the feedback part of the circuit....and through-zero attempts have been rather painful so far.
There is a plastic "chair" swing at the local playground that makes an awesome chorus/flange if you talk/hum/sing while standing behind it and pushing.  The LFO rate is not really adjustable and the S/N suffers a little bit from what appear to be "screaming" noises the higher you take the LFO amplitude.  Also, attempts to adjust the manual delay setting below a certain point often result in the swing hitting you in the face.  Up until that point though it's pretty cool.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

therecordingart

Quote from: R.G. on January 01, 2014, 01:05:26 PM
Making estimations from the rate of growth of DIY stompboxes from the 90s to now, I think that by 2027, the number of people building and selling stompboxes will exceed the population of the planet.

So we're going to have to invent interstellar travel and trade with aliens just so we have someone to sell stompboxes to.

:)

I think you're right. The internet has made learing about electronics and technology so....accessible. New technology has also "dumbed down" a lot of the technical knowledge you'd need back in the old days to get started. Not so much relating to stompboxes, but to technology in general. I'm not a very bright guy, but I'm building electronics gadgets, CNC machines, and soon to be farting around with 3D printing. I have zero CAD or machining background. 15 years ago this would be almost unheard of.

Nowadays it seems you can't turn around without bumping into a nerd or geek of some sort.

duck_arse

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 02, 2014, 10:17:57 PM

21) Oh yeah, almost forgot.  I *will* finish my PAiA hyperflange this year.  :icon_wink:  :icon_mrgreen:

« Last Edit: 03-01-2014, 12:23:04 by Mark Hammer »

sorry, Mark, couldn't resist. how's it coming along, by the way?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Marcos - Munky

It's probably inside a box, inside a closet, inside a room which Mark doesn't know where's the key :icon_lol:

Rodgre

I too have a Hyperflange build somewhere on my way way way way back burner. Someday.....

Roger