Joyo Digital Delay - Possibility of Spillover Mod?

Started by Pipp Priss, January 08, 2014, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pipp Priss

Hey guys and thank you for welcoming me on this board!

I bought a Joyo or aka Harley Benton Digital Delay some days ago. I really like the sound of it, but what really annoys me is the fact, that theres no possibility of Spillover.
I was asking, if theres a very typical schematic out there to realize a spillover. I was thinking about something familiar to an electrolytic capacitor, that feeds the circuit with power after bypassing...

My problem is, that im not that good in electronics, but no total noob, so some ideas may be already helpful. (i'm an electronics technician, but unfortunatly, the last 5 years i worked as an electrician (moving cables from a to b), so im not that fresh anymore when it comes to defining and developing circuitry.

My Delay pedal has three chips: The RC4558P, SA571N and the PT2399. Maybe there are very common delay pedal circuits including these three chips? ;)

Would be thankful for any kind of help!

Greetings,

Phil

Sorry for my bad english by the way, i'm german ;)

Ice-9

Hello there and welcome to the forums,

If by spillover you mean tails to the delay after the pedal is bypassed, (so that when you hit the bypass you still get the last f the delay repeats in the signal) then yes it could be possible but will really depends on the design of the pedal PCB. There has been a threat here recently about this for a PT2399  design so this is worth a look over. Possibly if you could post some pictures of both sides of the PCB then others here could maybe work out a solution for you.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Pojo

Quote from: Pipp Priss on January 08, 2014, 12:08:36 PM
I was asking, if theres a very typical schematic out there to realize a spillover. I was thinking about something familiar to an electrolytic capacitor, that feeds the circuit with power after bypassing...

To get tails, usually the only the input to the delay portion of the circuit is switched when the pedal is bypassed. That way the the output from the delay circuitry and the blend that mixes with the dry signal is still on the signal path allowing all remaining repeats to remain in the pedal's output signal. Also, just to help your understanding of bypass schemes, I've never seen a pedal that actually removes power to the circuit. For true bypass (which I've heard is what Joyo uses) when the footswitch is pressed and you go into bypass mode the input to the pedal is connected directly to the output of the pedal but the rest of the circuit is still receiving power the same as if it's not in bypass mode.

To add, and I don't know if this is important to you, there's no way to have tails and true bypass at the same time since the delay circuitry must remain connected to the signal chain. But not necessarily a bad thing if proper buffering is used.

Pipp Priss

Hey, first of all, thanks alot!

I made some pictures of the Joyo Board:
http://imageshack.com/a/img824/83/agj3.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img23/262/8toq.jpg

One other thing: I'm not a True Bypass Geek, so I'd be up to changing it, but haven't found any good information on buffering and common schematics, maybe with explanations, yet. Anyone can help out with that?

Mike Burgundy

at a first glance, that looks amazingly like a PT80.
is the 16-pin DIP a PT2399?

Pipp Priss

Hey Mike!

Thanks for that little information input and yep, its a PT2399!

Will check out the PT80 circuit! ;)