New member and his first batch of builds

Started by phythian, January 11, 2014, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phythian

Hey all,

I've been told that it's the law here to post pics of builds once you mention them, and being I am a law abiding citizen here goes.  Just a bit of small talk first, pics follow.

Started off with the MI Audio DIY kit, then started googling circuits.  Started with a Woolly Mammoth/Fuzzy Elephant for something easy, followed by a JD Shocktave, then decided I wanted a phaser in a wah pedal, where I could control the sweep, rather than the speed.  Found a schematic for the EHX Bad Stone, but couldn't find a vero layout, so spent the next couple of weeks doing my own, which amazingly actually worked (I say amazingly, as it was my first vero layout ever, and the first time I ever tried to read a schematic).  The resulting board only just squeezes into a standard wah enclosure, and if I'd known back then that 1 x TL074 = 2  xTL072 I probably could have made it much smaller (circuit calls for 4 x 4558/TL072).  Also added a SHO to combat the drop in signal I'd read about (if you look real close in the pics you can see a red and green wire near the footswitch disappearing into black insulation tape, the SHO board is in there.  Speaking of footswitch, that has since been replaced with a 3pdt for true bypass + LED

MI DIY:

Fuzzy Elephant:

Shocktave:

EHX Bad Stone + SHO:

Tonbender MKII:

As I started working on a few more boards, I realised that the biggest expense is the hardware - enclosures, input/out/9V jacks, and patch cables to put between them.  So I figured, 1 enclosure housing a bunch of pedals would cut these costs, right?

Enter the baking tray chopping (pedal) board!

Consists of (in signal order) Nurse Quacky, Fuzz Face, TS808, Guv'nor, Easy Vibe & Deep Blue Delay.  The stomps are little too close together, and I may add a pair of switching jacks in before the delay so that I can add other standalone mod pedals after the drive section, but otherwise I'm really happy with it!

No guts, no glory:

Yep, she's messy  :icon_redface:

kingswayguitar

tubegeek

What did you do with the lasagna that was in there?
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

arma61

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Mbas974

Deliciuos !!

You really COOK your sound !

You ROCK's MAN !!!

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

arma61

^
so that piece of wood is what you, English talking people, mean for "breaboard" ?? In italy it's something we use to cut vegetable and beat meat steak (chopping-board?). So... now ....please explain why you call this "breadboard", please!!!! (first results in Yahoo.com images search !)  ;D   :D 

I cannot immagine you guys saing "Hey, I've just put a couple of transistors, resistors and capacitors on my "breadboard" and get a nice fuzz" !!!  :D  ;)  :D  ;)

Sorry m8s.... it's just Sunday afternoon!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

deadastronaut

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

arma61

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

peterg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard

Nice work Pete! Looking forward to the next batch.

Armando - chopping boards were used to fasten components to in the early dayys of engineering. The term remains.

deadastronaut

@pythian...are you left handed/footed?..

just curious as usually pedals are from right to left...dist etc etc etc...

i'm a lefty and i often think of putting my pedals left to right...swapping jacks on wahs/volume and everything puts me off though.

phythian

Thanks everyone!

Here in Australia we call 'em chopping boards too - or at least I do, haven't really thought about it before now...

I'm right handed, but clumsily stomp with whichever foot is closest at the time - never really gave much thought to which direction I should put them - just wanted to keep the drives together so that I can double stomp for either alternating or stacking.  Whether they're on the left or right doesn't really make much difference to me, I'll stomp on the wrong one anyway  :icon_redface:

And yes, colour is awesome!  I used as many as I could, as you can tell  :icon_mrgreen: 

mikeford

evenin' brother. Come for the FESTIVAL? Welcome!

Jdansti

Quote from: phythian on January 12, 2014, 05:07:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

Here in Australia we call 'em chopping boards too - or at least I do, haven't really thought about it before now...

I'm right handed, but clumsily stomp with whichever foot is closest at the time - never really gave much thought to which direction I should put them - just wanted to keep the drives together so that I can double stomp for either alternating or stacking.  Whether they're on the left or right doesn't really make much difference to me, I'll stomp on the wrong one anyway  :icon_redface:

And yes, colour is awesome!  I used as many as I could, as you can tell  :icon_mrgreen: 

I thought the direction of the effects might have something to do with you being south of the equator and the rotation of the earth. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

TG Flatline

That chopping board multi-pedal has just made my morning, awesome!

phythian

Quote from: Jdansti on January 12, 2014, 09:49:03 PM
I thought the direction of the effects might have something to do with you being south of the equator and the rotation of the earth. ;)

Actually, we believe we are north of the equator.  You guys are just looking at the world upside down  :icon_wink:

Quote from: mikeford on January 12, 2014, 09:01:45 PM
evenin' brother. Come for the FESTIVAL? Welcome!

Evenin'!  What is this festival of which you speak?

Jdansti

I showed your multiFX baking dish/chopping board to my wife, and she said, "don't you dare"!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

bluebunny

Quote from: Jdansti on January 13, 2014, 03:27:29 PM
I showed your multiFX baking dish/chopping board to my wife ...

That was your first mistake, John!  :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Willybomb

That baking tray/chopping board multi is just genius.  Not sure how it would hold up to getting stomped on, and the switches look a bit close together for my taste, but bugger me, just brilliant.

BTW, it's always bugged me how commercial multi effects have a left->right signal chain and switches as a result, but individual pedals are right->left... I really prefer to use my left foot for my wah, so that's where it goes, and I have to route cables accordingly.