Help - muff won't work

Started by KurbadsLV, September 19, 2015, 04:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VidSicious

For the LED you'd need at least 2 pole switch. One pole for the ground from wherever (could be DC jack, input/output jack sleeve or the circuit's ground), then another pole would have to be for LED's cathode (shorter negative pin). The way you had it in the diagram you made, the LED wasn't receiving any power or ground and therefore it didn't work. You want the LED to be receiving power at all times and only ground it when the switch is on. I'd recommend you examine the Switches in Stompboxes page on Beavis Audio. He explains it pretty well.

So let's recap and imply this into your circuit. You have to get a 2pdt (on/on) toggle switch or 2pdt footswitch (you can get away with either dpdt or 3pdt) for it to work. You take a wire from Q1 Collector, connect it to lug 2 of the switch (if you don't know which one, refer to this diagram). Then lug 1 will go to the first lead of LDR. Second Lead lead of LDR goes to Q3 Collector. Now for the LED, as mentioned above, you connect the anode (positive) to the power supply (personally, I'd connect it to the DC jack) and the negative connect to lug 4 of the switch. And lastly, you take a ground wire from anywhere in your pedal (DC jack, output/input or circuit) and connect it to lug 5 of the switch. That should light the LED up when you engage the feedback loop. You could get an RGB led with common anode and connect the negatives to different switches of your pedal which would leave you with 1 LED that would change the colour depending on what is switched on.

For the battery, I'd recommend using this diagram. You take the negative of the battery snap and connect it to the input jack ring. It disconnects the battery when there is no lead in the input jack or when the DC power is connected so you don't drain your battery. Hope this helps!

Edit due to intoxication

duck_arse

switch problems are fun, no? (I need to get out more.)

if you take a double pole, double throw, centre off toggle. wire the ldr to the 2 switch commons. now take the 2 N/C connections to the transistor collectors. now take the 2 N/O connections of the switch to the 2 emitters. you can now have the emitter version, off, or the collector version feedback loop.

and if you use a 3 pole/double throw, centre off toggle, you can add mode indicator leds as well. OR, with dpdt toggle, and a dpdt footswitch wired, I dunno, anywhere to break the circuit, ?into one leg of the ldr, maybe?, you can select the feedback mode with the toggle, then on/off via the footswitch, with the spare F/S pole for the status led.

draw the circuit. learn how to draw switches, and their workings and possibilities will become clear to you.
don't make me draw another line.

KurbadsLV

Quote from: duck_arse on September 26, 2015, 11:11:47 AM

if you take a double pole, double throw, centre off toggle. wire the ldr to the 2 switch commons. now take the 2 N/C connections to the transistor collectors. now take the 2 N/O connections of the switch to the 2 emitters. you can now have the emitter version, off, or the collector version feedback loop.

and if you use a 3 pole/double throw, centre off toggle, you can add mode indicator leds as well. OR, with dpdt toggle, and a dpdt footswitch wired, I dunno, anywhere to break the circuit, ?into one leg of the ldr, maybe?, you can select the feedback mode with the toggle, then on/off via the footswitch, with the spare F/S pole for the status led.

draw the circuit. learn how to draw switches, and their workings and possibilities will become clear to you.

Thanks, very helpful! I thought I could get away with using two lug 1PST switch but apparently not. Yeah, I do a lot of reading right now about the basics of circuits and trying to get my mind around the massive amount of information. It's all completely new to me.

VidSicious

Quote from: KurbadsLV on September 26, 2015, 11:40:00 AM
Quote from: duck_arse on September 26, 2015, 11:11:47 AM

Thanks, very helpful! I thought I could get away with using two lug 1PST switch but apparently not. Yeah, I do a lot of reading right now about the basics of circuits and trying to get my mind around the massive amount of information. It's all completely new to me.

You could use SPST if you made a daughter board with a relay to switch things on or off electronically.