Debug a TS808 no gain - Deadhorse by Protone

Started by spunko, February 12, 2014, 06:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spunko

Hello friends, this is my fisrt post here.  ;D
I have a Dead Horse by Protone that bougth from ebay, it's supposed to be a TS808 clon with symetrical/asymetrical diode clipping. When I tryed it, didnĀ“t have much gain, in fact it was like a clean boost with little gain at 100% all knobs, I tryed batteries and two 1spot.
I thought it was modded to be a clean boost, then I saw that the led was a different color (green) from the orginal (red), so I oppned it again, and saw that the Drive knob was 160K, instead of a 500K that the schematics show. I changed the knob and the led for a red and 500k and it worked, when I first tryed it sounded like a OD pedal, with a lot of gain \m/. Then I took off the power cord and plug it again for more testing, and sadly it sounded like a clean boost again, almost no gain. After more testing, the pedal works randomly, sometimes I have to plug/unplug the power 4 or 5 times because it truns on with no gain. Somtimes will turn on with normal gain at the fist try.
I don't have much technical knowledge, and can't figure out the problem here, I hope someone help me to solve it. I have a fluke multimeter, soldering skills, and a lot of patience :)
Sorry for my bad english.

digi2t

This should be in the "Building your own stompbox section".

As the forum subtitle states, this section is for digital and dsp related problems.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

spunko

Sorry, I didn't know that. Could someone move it to the "Building your own stompbox" section, or do I have to start a new post?

Thank you.

bluebunny

A friendly moderator might stop by and move the thread.  Or just start a new one.  Copy'n'paste are your friends!   ;)

BTW, welcome!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...