Resizing a FAME DCT-200 PSU to fit a Pedaltrain

Started by maximee, January 15, 2012, 06:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maximee

Hey folks,

lately I've been thinking a lot about a new pedalboard. I've always wanted to go the DIY way and build my own board. But since finding a proper case/gigbag for a custom pedalboard is a pain in the ass I'm leaning towards actually buying a Pedaltrain Pro SC.
Since that will set me back a whooping 170€ I thought I'd rather cheap out on the power supply. After some research I found out about the Fame DCT-200 Multi-Power Supply and ordered it.
It just works great, isolated outputs, basically pretty much the same as a Voodoo Labs PP+ for only 49€. The only downside being its giant dimensions.
No way of getting it under a Pedaltrain board. I think the Pedaltrain would stand on the PSU and not on its feet.

After opening the DCT-200 and peeking inside I came up with this:

Fig. 1: New dimensions

Fig. 2: Mockup

Fig. 3: Comparison

There is quite a bit of unused space in the enclosure. I think my sketches are quite self explanatory... I'd just cut down the housing.
There are air vents on the back, so overheating should not be a problem. I'd just have to make sure I have enough clearance for the mains socket - don't want to get electrocuted! But from what I can tell it should be safe. With one side at 46mm it is just 1mm more than the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Plus (which fits).

Can anybody with a Pedaltrain Pro take measure for me and see if that will work? (I'd love to fit it under a PT-Two, but I think that would be too tight, wouldn't it?)

joegagan

i would try to split the difference. cut the case of the psu down similar to your green lines, possibly a wee bit higher, then put slightly taller rubber legs on the back side of the pedalboard.  if this causes case closing issues, work those out, they should be minor at this point.

(is there a case for this included?)
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

maximee

Thanks for your input, Joe!

I just went ahead and did it. I'm very happy with the result.
I'll just post a quick illustrated rundown if somebody else wants to do the same thing.

Mark a line right below the words. That's the place to cut it!
Make sure to wear eye protection and a dust mask (!), you don't want to breathe aluminium sawdust!

After cutting it with a Dremel tool.

Check how the yellow top part of the enclosure fits and mark the place where to cut.

When cutting metal I think it's good to have some sort of coolant. I use water. This also makes for less airborne sawdust.

Trim the PCB to make the lid close. (Note how they crammed in the PCB and misaligned the holes for the pots :) )
Again: Dust mask!

In this image I've already drilled the new holes for the screws that hold the to halves together.
Since the housing comes pretty close to the main socket I thought it's better to be safe and have some insulation in case something goes wrong.
Triple check all the insulation of the mains wiring before putting everything back together! Also check for scrap metal or sawdust inside the box.
Take of the rubber feet.

Here's the final thing. It just barely fits under the Pedaltrain Pro without any further modification of the pedal board.  :icon_cool:

If you look closely you'll see that I didn't saw off the rear yellow overshoot... I wanted to, but my dremel crapped out on me.
So I just took of what was necessary with a file. Could've done a nicer job but who cares. The thing will spend its days under the pedalboard anyway!
When I'm done mounting it to my new board I can post a final image.
Woohoo! Just saved myself a hundred bucks! :)

The_french_guy

Hi there,
Many thanks for that post. Still happy with the mod? I'll do it this weekend.
Cheers

maximee

Yay, the first reply after 1,5 years!
I'm still happy with the mod, worked out really nice and I still use it.
I'm thinking of downsizing from a Pedaltrain Pro to a PT-2, the only thing that keeps me from doing so is the fact that I can't fit the DCT-200 under a PT-2.
We'll see, I might just order one and start tinkering.
Keep us posted how your mod turns out & post pics!
Good luck!

The_french_guy

Hey Maximee!

I started yesterday afternoon. My god... I had to reshape everything many times as I started with 46mm but that didn't fit so well, just tenth of millimeters!!

So an advice: do the holes on the yellow part (to tighten the chassis) at the very end!

When done, it could go under the PT-pro: great. But how make it stick at it?? Big problem there. And the light came to me... No need to say that I am very very happy! The Fame doesn't touch the floor at all.

How did you do that Maximee? BTW, I saw you added some tape on the yellow part above the pots PCB. That doesn't hurt, but the PcB doesn't conduct current/voltage. And the yellow metal stuff is either non-conductive because of the heavy (ungly) paint, either linked to chassis = ground.

The 4 extra-screws you see come from the PT2 pack to fix the voodoo PSU (ironic!)

(Click on pictures.)

maximee

Hey, that's looking great!
Glad it worked out for you. Actually I thought many more guys would be interested in doing this mod. Saves a quite a lot of $$$!

I'll see if I get around to post a picture of my Fame under my PT-Pro. I didn't screw it in but used zip-ties - there was no drilling involved.
I'm still wondering how a PT-2 with risers would look like if I mounted the Fame beneath it.

The_french_guy

Quote from: maximee on July 12, 2013, 04:08:50 AM
Hey, that's looking great!
Glad it worked out for you. Actually I thought many more guys would be interested in doing this mod. Saves a quite a lot of $$$!

I'll see if I get around to post a picture of my Fame under my PT-Pro. I didn't screw it in but used zip-ties - there was no drilling involved.
I'm still wondering how a PT-2 with risers would look like if I mounted the Fame beneath it.

Hey!

You mean: to rise the PT? not sure that would look so good...

I'm so happy I just ordered another one (should come in August) and will do the same on the other side of the PT. I'm thinking also to mod it to have only one IEC power cable for both, and have one IEC output to plug my EHX Wiggler big transfo underneath the PT. This Fame is a good base for modding :)

maximee

Yeah, it might be way to high.

About the 220v output: I was thinking the same. That's actually the only thing missing in a DCT-200. If you come around to do it I would love to read about it.

The_french_guy

Sure I keep you updated (you're the one who gave me this nice idea of resizing the fame!), but won't be tomorrow: I'm waiting first to receive the second Fame ;)

maximee

No worries - I'll let you know when I find time to take a picture of mine.

stevenwalsh21

Hello! I actually just set up an account to ask you about this.

First off, great little mod, I was thinking of buying a fame but the size was putting me off. I'm also glad to hear the fame has lasted nearly 2 years as I couldn't find much resources online. Would you recommend it?

I've been planning for a while to build the Ikea pedalboard thing so I'll keep in mind the sizings of this whenever I get around to doing it. Step by step pictures are great, thanks!

stevenwalsh21

EDIT: Sorry double posted  :icon_confused:

maximee

Hey Steven, glad it helped!

I can fully recommend it. I used it to power my loaded PT-Pro with a few digital effects on it as well.
This, and a Line 6 DL-4. A few outlets I used with daisy chains to power a couple of hum-wise uncritical effects.
Also the on/off switch in the back is nice. No need to unplug anything after band practice.

Here's my solution of mounting it:

I used some zip ties and some velcro. No need to drill holes.

The_french_guy

Hi there,

The Fame came again available on musikstore beginning of September so now I'm working on the second one.

I'm still considering to link both power input but don't know how.

Not sure I would recommend it for the Ikea version as it is a heavy one...

(Btw, I posted that on a german forum two months ago: no one looked interested... Weird..)

garfo

Ei Maximee, can you confirm that evdrything is ground isolated and filtered?it sounds too good to be True.
Quote from: maximee on January 15, 2012, 06:19:25 PM
Hey folks,

lately I've been thinking a lot about a new pedalboard. I've always wanted to go the DIY way and build my own board. But since finding a proper case/gigbag for a custom pedalboard is a pain in the ass I'm leaning towards actually buying a Pedaltrain Pro SC.
Since that will set me back a whooping 170€ I thought I'd rather cheap out on the power supply. After some research I found out about the Fame DCT-200 Multi-Power Supply and ordered it.
It just works great, isolated outputs, basically pretty much the same as a Voodoo Labs PP+ for only 49€. The only downside being its giant dimensions.
No way of getting it under a Pedaltrain board. I think the Pedaltrain would stand on the PSU and not on its feet.

After opening the DCT-200 and peeking inside I came up with this:

Fig. 1: New dimensions

Fig. 2: Mockup

Fig. 3: Comparison

There is quite a bit of unused space in the enclosure. I think my sketches are quite self explanatory... I'd just cut down the housing.
There are air vents on the back, so overheating should not be a problem. I'd just have to make sure I have enough clearance for the mains socket - don't want to get electrocuted! But from what I can tell it should be safe. With one side at 46mm it is just 1mm more than the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power Plus (which fits).

Can anybody with a Pedaltrain Pro take measure for me and see if that will work? (I'd love to fit it under a PT-Two, but I think that would be too tight, wouldn't it?)