6N2P Vs Ecc83 (12AX7) in the same socket

Started by gtudoran, February 18, 2014, 06:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtudoran

Hey guys thought to share this with you. Was more a wiring technique that somebody  will find it useful. The problem is this, what if i would like to use in the same amp Russian tubes and European tubes without the need to reroute the heaters wiring.

What do you need: DPDT switch and sockets :)

This is how you do it:

WARNING!! YOU HAVE TO USE THE SAME PREAMP TUBES (RUSSIAN OR EUROPEAN). You can however to make this arrangement for every preamp tube and you will have the possibility to experiment with mixed tubes.

Pin 9 of Russian preamp triodes is tied to a screen and is a good practice to put it to ground potential.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

craigmillard

I Used something similar on my last build!:)

Works a treat and i set it up so i could swap individually the PI and Power tubes and then all of the preamp tubes.

Allows for endless tube rolling! :icon_mrgreen:

6n2p-3v preamp tubes
12au7 PI
6n6p Power or swap to 12au7 for lower power

merlinb

gtudoran

Indeed it is, but i would like pin 9 of the 6n2p to be tied to ground (the internal screen between the tow triodes).

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

merlinb

Quote from: gtudoran on February 18, 2014, 07:25:15 AM
Indeed it is, but i would like pin 9 of the 6n2p to be tied to ground (the internal screen between the tow triodes).

True, though it will make no difference to audio performance if the screen is connected to one side of the heater supply, since the heater supply is always referenced to ground through a low impedance anyway.

gtudoran

Darn :D you have an answer for every question :D You are right... again :)

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound