JHS Synth Drive Mod

Started by rousejeremy, February 21, 2014, 10:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebanipshada

Hi there!
I would appreciate it much if someone could explain me what types of capacitors should I use for this mod (soundwise mostly i guess)? I figured there are a few of them, like film, ceramic, metal paper, electrolytic (that's the one that is polarized, am I right?). 
I'm new to all these, please excuse my fledgling questions)
Thanks!

vigilante397

Quote from: ebanipshada on January 17, 2016, 04:45:25 AM
Hi there!
I would appreciate it much if someone could explain me what types of capacitors should I use for this mod (soundwise mostly i guess)? I figured there are a few of them, like film, ceramic, metal paper, electrolytic (that's the one that is polarized, am I right?). 
I'm new to all these, please excuse my fledgling questions)
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum :)

And this is a perfectly legitimate question even if you have been doing this a while. Soundwise there really isn't much difference between the different types of capacitors, and I'm always skeptical when anyone says they hear a difference. Electrolytic capacitors are not generally recommended for this mod because then you have to worry about polarity, and frankly you have enough to worry about without it. :P

Ceramic capacitors are not very widely used in pedals because, while they are dirt cheap, they can in certain circumstances go microphonic, making your build VERY noisy sometimes to the point of unusable. This isn't incredibly common nor is it very likely in this build, but I like to stay on the safe side.

My favorite capacitors to use are polyester box film like this:

I'm also a big fan of mylar film, though many of the higher values (about 100nF and up) are often too big for many stompbox uses:

I mentioned that ceramic capacitors are bad, but the exception there is monolythic ceramic capacitors, which have a film coating over them to reduce the possibility of noise:

Hope this helps ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

ebanipshada

Wow, thanks, that helps a lot! And that's a very thorough answer!  :)
Now, if it doesn't say nonpolarized cap, should that mean that it necessarily has to be polarized?
Am i gonna be fine going with a polyester box film in either case (pol and nonpol)?
Did I get it right, that the general advise is not to mess with any diods doing this mod?
Thank you! :)

vigilante397

Quote from: ebanipshada on January 18, 2016, 09:47:22 AM
Now, if it doesn't say nonpolarized cap, should that mean that it necessarily has to be polarized?

Not usually. Smaller value caps (less than 1uF) are almost never polarized because it's not necessary, so they don't usually mention it. It's only on larger caps (1uF and larger) that they will specifically mention non-polarized.

An important note though is that polyester box, and indeed mylar film and ceramic are non polarized. The only caps that are ever polarized are electrolytic or tantalum. Everything else you don't need to worry about it.

Quote from: ebanipshada on January 18, 2016, 09:47:22 AM
Did I get it right, that the general advise is not to mess with any diods doing this mod?

My personal opinion is that it doesn't really add to the tone of the pedal so I don't recommend it, but everyone's ears are different, so if you do everything else and find that you still don't love it then you can always try it later ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

Quote from: Justus24 on January 27, 2016, 05:26:25 PM
I think now what would help out is some specific hyperlinks to the parts that will work on tayda electronics. I checked out the site seems really well priced. Thanks for the recommendayche. Picked up my ds1 the other day, can't wait. Thanks, God bless.-pc

I've already procrastinated my physics homework a few hours, I can do it a while more. I even included two different options for each cap. Either one will work just fine, and in this application there is no difference, one is just a little more expensive.

.1uF capacitor
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/0-1uf-100v-5-polyester-film-box-type-capacitor.html
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/0-1uf-50v-multilayer-ceramic-capacitor.html

1uF capacitor
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/1uf-100v-5-polyester-film-box-type-capacitor.html
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/1uf-50v-multilayer-ceramic-capacitor.html

.047uF capacitor
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/47nf-0-047uf-100v-5-polyester-film-box-type-capacitor.html
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/0-047uf-50v-multilayer-monolithic-ceramic-capacitor.html

They don't carry a 1.1k resistor, so I just used a 1k, as it's within a 10% tolerance.
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/resistors/1-4w-metal-film-resistors/10-x-resistor-1k-ohm-1-4w-1-metal-film-pkg-of-10.html

I personally didn't feel like the diode swap was necessary and didn't like it, but in case you want to try it, here's these as well.
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/1n4001-diode-1a-50v.html
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/led-5mm-red.html

Almost forgot the SPDT switches
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/mini-toggle-switch-spdt-on-on.html

And now I'll get back to my homework, until I get distracted again and come back :P

Good luck! ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

ebanipshada

I performed the mod a couple days ago and it worked, making me so thrilled! It's quite awesome to be doing something that cool with your own hands, very rewarding! 8) ;D
Thanks all for you help!
I'm very happy with all the stuff my pedal does when the switches are engaged, it's very much like in the videos. Though, i have a problem with the background noise when the switches are "off", both when the pedal is on and in the bypass regime. It's neither my guitar nor amp or cables, i've checked that with a stock ds1 that have. Must be something i did wrong modding. Do you guys have any idea what's happened and how to fix it? I'd appreciate your insight on that matter a lot!  :)
Thanks!

vigilante397

Quote from: ebanipshada on January 30, 2016, 04:19:50 PM
I performed the mod a couple days ago and it worked, making me so thrilled! It's quite awesome to be doing something that cool with your own hands, very rewarding! 8) ;D
Thanks all for you help!
I'm very happy with all the stuff my pedal does when the switches are engaged, it's very much like in the videos. Though, i have a problem with the background noise when the switches are "off", both when the pedal is on and in the bypass regime. It's neither my guitar nor amp or cables, i've checked that with a stock ds1 that have. Must be something i did wrong modding. Do you guys have any idea what's happened and how to fix it? I'd appreciate your insight on that matter a lot!  :)
Thanks!

Glad it worked out for you :) I have a lot of background noise on mine when the switches are engaged, but when the switches are off it is moderately quiet unless I have the gain cranked up high. So without the switches on this mod shouldn't really do anything to the background noise. When you compared it to the stock DS-1 did you use the same guitar, cables, power supply, and amp? (especially power supply)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

ebanipshada

QuoteWhen you compared it to the stock DS-1 did you use the same guitar, cables, power supply, and amp? (especially power supply)
Yes, all the hardware is the same including the power supply and it's not because of high level of gain either. That's strange, right, that when the switches are on it's fairly ok, but when they're off the noise is pretty bad? And you know, it gets lower when i touch the pedal or connectors, it gets higher when i get the pedal closer to the amp.

vigilante397

Quote from: ebanipshada on January 30, 2016, 08:03:08 PM
Yes, all the hardware is the same including the power supply and it's not because of high level of gain either. That's strange, right, that when the switches are on it's fairly ok, but when they're off the noise is pretty bad? And you know, it gets lower when i touch the pedal or connectors, it gets higher when i get the pedal closer to the amp.

That sounds like something may have gotten messed up during the mod. Can you post pictures of the pedal?
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

ebanipshada

QuoteThat sounds like something may have gotten messed up during the mod.
Hi! Sorry for the delay!
My problem kinda resloved itself when I added a Keeley Ultra mod (don't know how or why :)) to my ds1 with a Synth Drive mod. And I like the new sound too!
Thanks for you help!  ;)

romans10:9

Few questions.
Wire, solid or stranded?
Wire guage?
the mylar capacitors 100v?
About the non passive capacitor?
Thanks for your time. God bless you.-paul chavez

For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

vigilante397

Quote from: romans10:9 on May 25, 2016, 07:37:06 AM
Few questions.
Wire, solid or stranded?
Wire guage?
the mylar capacitors 100v?
About the non passive capacitor?

Most people will tell you stranded, I have some solid that I like.
Gauge is up to you; make sure it's big enough to not break, but small enough to fit in holes. 22 is a common choice.
100v is fine, but the pedal is running on 9v so frankly anything above 9 (usually at least 16) is fine.
All capacitors are passive, not sure what you mean there.

Hope this helps :)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

romans10:9

pardon, not passive *polarized... anyhoo dont see a c1 slot on the board. also you an ideas where to find desolder wick online or stores? what size hole for the switches? and as for the hole with the light in three tone o, is an led added or replacing something?
thanks for your time again. God bless.- Paul Chavez
For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. John
3:16

vigilante397

Quote from: romans10:9 on July 02, 2016, 01:13:10 PM
pardon, not passive *polarized... anyhoo dont see a c1 slot on the board. also you an ideas where to find desolder wick online or stores? what size hole for the switches? and as for the hole with the light in three tone o, is an led added or replacing something?

I don't have my board in front of me, but I promise C1 is there. Desolder wick is pretty cheap on eBay, Amazon, etc. though I am sure there are others out there. I use SPDT switches from Tayda, which need a 1/4" hole. As for the added LED, that's the LED added when switching out the clipping diodes, which I personally don't care for, but everyone's ears are different.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

cocaonao

Hello, can someone send a schematic of the wiring of the SPDT switches? The photo does not appear anymore

vigilante397

Welcome to the forum :) I should still have the instructions with all the pictures on my computer, I'll post it when I get home this evening.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

Okay, I'm home now ;D And as promised, here it is. I am not the one that reverse-engineered this mod, nor am I the one responsible for the artwork, but as the unofficial keeper of this thread I can answer any questions you have along the way.

• SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

cocaonao

Thank you for the picture!!!! I am going to perform the mod next week! If I need to ask anything I'll surely ask here!! Thank you!!!!

rousejeremy

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 20, 2018, 08:55:45 PM
Okay, I'm home now ;D And as promised, here it is. I am not the one that reverse-engineered this mod, nor am I the one responsible for the artwork, but as the unofficial keeper of this thread I can answer any questions you have along the way.

I'm glad someone reposted this. All of the sudden everything I uploaded to photobucket is gone because they want money to share pics. Buggers.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

luizaq

If anyone still cares  i made a improved  switch wiring guide. 99% sure is correct.