Author Topic: Clean Boost Pedal  (Read 31324 times)

fuzzyhead

Clean Boost Pedal
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:31:13 PM »
What is the best clean boost pedal that will work for bass. Whether its a boost pedal specifically for bass or one that can be modded to work good with a bass. Thanks!

seadi123

Re: Clean Boost Pedal
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
I think boosters work the same on guitars and basses . I've heard the lpb-1 works perfectly to boost and even get overdriven sound from bass guitar

fuzzyhead

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:19 PM »
Thanks. Is there and DIY ones?

italianguy63

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
I don't have much experience on the subject.  But, rebuilt a MXR-133 Micro Amp (clean) boost pedal, and I was very impressed with it.  It is pretty simple and schematics are out there.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

mth5044

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »

What?

italianguy63

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »
^  Pretty sure he is looking for a "kit."
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

fuzzyhead

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
Italianguy 63 mentioned a electro harmonix lpb 1, I can buy the buy pedal, and not a diy, I'm looking for diy pedals

fuzzyhead

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
Yes, Italianguy 63, I am looking for a kit

italianguy63

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 06:28:17 PM »
There is certainly a bunch of them out there.  Hang tight and I am sure somebody will recommend one.  Do you want the components, or just the circuit board?  Do you want and enclosure too?  I don't know enough about them to recommend one... But, they aren't tough or expensive....

fuzzyhead

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
Full kits is my preference. But if there nothing that I'm really in to, I'll have to take a different route.

Quackzed

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »
you gotta be carefull with circuits designed for guitar on bass, bass has a bigger signal than guitar and at only 9v boosting leads to distortion pretty quick... if you want clean clean, you may need to try 2 batteries for 18v to boost without distortion. just
something to consider when looking for bass boost circuits or kits.

i found this...
http://www.musikding.de/The-Molie-Bassbooster-kit

someone here built it i think, here
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=104876.0
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:09:07 PM by Quackzed »
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

mth5044

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:23:05 PM »
Italianguy 63 mentioned a electro harmonix lpb 1, I can buy the buy pedal, and not a diy, I'm looking for diy pedals

Ah. That's true, although you can buy a lot of the pedals already. The LPB is a DIY project if you indeed do it yourself.

As far as full kits, look at www.buildyourownclone.com and www.generalguitargadgets.com are two companies I had a lot of success when starting out with kits. JD Sleep at GGG is a great guy as well.

jimilee

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 11:23:19 PM »
you gotta be carefull with circuits designed for guitar on bass, bass has a bigger signal than guitar and at only 9v boosting leads to distortion pretty quick... if you want clean clean, you may need to try 2 batteries for 18v to boost without distortion. just
something to consider when looking for bass boost circuits or kits.

i found this...
http://www.musikding.de/The-Molie-Bassbooster-kit

someone here built it i think, here
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=104876.0
Umm pretty sure the signals are the same size, just the frequencies are different, 18 volts aren't going to help anything. The biggest deal would be the input and or output caps if you notice any loss at all in the bass. Socket them and use different (larger) values. I use a lpb1 in an overdrive with zero issues.

Mustachio

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »
This is just a light suggestion.

While back I made a pedal with an optical compressor and a sonic stomp together and modded them for bass. Both circuits give some added volume as well as clears up the sound and seperates it in the mix. The bass player I made it for loved it and said it gave him so much more volume and clarity he started using a smaller amp.

I think you could get by with just the sonic stomp but a compressor is always nice on bass, it evens things out well.

You can pick up a sonic maximizer board at madbean

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

It's called the Bloviator II

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Bloviator/docs/BloviatorII.pdf

I wrote up the mods here on this forum a while back, I can't find the info yet but ill post back when I find which value changes I made, If your interested still.

:::edit this thread would get more eyes on it if it where in the main building your own stompbox section pretty much everyone posts there now:::
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:30:39 PM by Mustachio »
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

umoniact

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 01:56:29 AM »
Good pedal for good musician...

Hatredman

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »

Isn't what sead123 posted a DIY one?
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Frittenkirk

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
Hello.

I wrote up the mods here on this forum a while back, I can't find the info yet but ill post back when I find which value changes I made, If your interested still.

I am interested in the mods for basses. The search function here will not give the right post. So i hope you could find it somewhere....

Thanx a lot.

Gus

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
Have you tried the beginner boost?
It is "clean" at lower gain settings
under a gain of X2 at the min gain setting

Why do you want a boost for bass? 
Does you bass amps preamp not have enough gain?