Pnp switch wiring, embarrassed and needing some help I think!

Started by nate77, March 10, 2014, 07:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

nate, is your new order going to be "start with the problems and work backwards"?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

nate77

When I started, I built a kit and the "paint by numbers" style of this isn't do much for my conscientiousness of order and the logic behind building pedals. As I progressed I evolved, and as I came across mistakes I had made  and new builds with higher levels of difficulty I adjusted how I did things. I am a bit obsessive with wiring neatness so I have always wanted to wire as I permanently place it in the enclosure, but this latest and very simple build (which has put me through the ringer!!!) has made me think otherwise. I've heard many of the diy vets on many forums preaching about the virtues and advantages of thoroughly testing the circuit before boxing it, and I will now be on board. I would rather be meticulous with my builds than tear them apart a dozen times to fix silly mistakes. I replaced every conceivable thing on this 10 component build and now it works but looks like a team of mentally handicapped kittens put it together.

vigilante397

Quote from: nate77 on March 17, 2014, 11:54:41 PM
When I started, I built a kit and the "paint by numbers" style of this isn't do much for my conscientiousness of order and the logic behind building pedals. As I progressed I evolved, and as I came across mistakes I had made  and new builds with higher levels of difficulty I adjusted how I did things. I am a bit obsessive with wiring neatness so I have always wanted to wire as I permanently place it in the enclosure, but this latest and very simple build (which has put me through the ringer!!!) has made me think otherwise. I've heard many of the diy vets on many forums preaching about the virtues and advantages of thoroughly testing the circuit before boxing it, and I will now be on board. I would rather be meticulous with my builds than tear them apart a dozen times to fix silly mistakes. I replaced every conceivable thing on this 10 component build and now it works but looks like a team of mentally handicapped kittens put it together.

I finally found a middle ground for this. I have a couple plastic enclosures I got from Tayda super cheap (around $3 or so) that i keep permanently wired up with the jacks, LED, and switch. When I'm working on a board I temporarily patch it into my plastic box to test it. If it doesn't work i know the problem is on the board, and if it does I move it to a permanent enclosure. Helps me keep my builds organized :)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

nate77

That is a great idea. I considered this a few weeks ago but hadn't commited to the idea, but I'm gonna take your advice and work one up. I was going to use an aluminum enclosure but I thought that might be a little unwieldy, but I'm sold on the plastic box. Do you use solid core wire or alligator clips to be able to temporarily hook your circuits up?

vigilante397

Quote from: nate77 on March 19, 2014, 01:48:53 AM
That is a great idea. I considered this a few weeks ago but hadn't commited to the idea, but I'm gonna take your advice and work one up. I was going to use an aluminum enclosure but I thought that might be a little unwieldy, but I'm sold on the plastic box. Do you use solid core wire or alligator clips to be able to temporarily hook your circuits up?

I still solder them in but I do use solid core wire. I thought about alligator clips to make it really temporary, but then I was worried about a connection slipping too easily, the clips moving and shorting, etc.

Before I found the plastic box I would sometimes wire up a pedal in an aluminum box but leave off the switch, then I would wire the LED straight to ground so it would light up just to show there was power going into the pedal. The main reason I prefer the plastic box with the switch wired in is that it gives me the chance to compare the tone I'm getting out of the pedal to my clean tone more easily.

Other reasons I like it: WAAAAY easier to drill and easier to clean up after drilling; I don't worry about messing them up because of the cost; I have multiple holes (3 in one, 6 in the other) to accomodate any reasonable number of pots on a build, which also gives me the opportunity to plan my layout before drilling the final box. Granted you could just as easily do this with an aluminum box and just declare it your "practice box," but as I mentioned earlier the plastic ones are cheaper ($2.99 for the small and $3.99 for the large from Tayda).
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

nate77

Makes sense. And the alligator clips not providing enough stable contact wasy worry as well. I would love something that convenient and was hoping that it would be adequate but I have the same feeling as you do. I'll get a couple plastic boxes and drill them up in different configurations 3/4/5 pot holes, switch holes, etc. I will also say that I have messed up a couple enclosures hastily drilling them just to find out I would have done it differently could I do it again. This seems as it will save me a few headaches. Thanks man.