I need help determining output voltages of my Fender pickups

Started by xixiviii, March 19, 2014, 12:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xixiviii

I am trying to make sense of the Fender output voltage charts.

Dimarzio makes it simple by putting the output voltages in the information section of each pickup.  My Crunchlab output is 410mv and my Liquifire is 300mv.

With Fender, I am trying to get output voltage values for my Tex Mex pickups.  On the Fender product page they list the following:

Output Rating (Bass/Mid/Treble)
Neck: 4/5/5
Middle: 4/5/5
Bridge: 7/5/5

On the actual package (using the neck pickup for example) it is on a scale from Vintage to Hot with this the neck pickup being approx 6.3.

Does anyone have a chart that takes the stated Fender Value and translates it to millivolts?  I am sort of confused.

Question 2:
Can I assume that a pickups stated output voltage is based on the pickup being wired as stated in the factory schematic and with the volume pot on 10? 

All that being said, I plan to do a multimeter and oscilloscope dance later to try to come up with some actual values, however I still have to learn the best way to do this.  Anyone have any simple methods for doing this they would like to share?

slacker

Dimazio's way of doing it is probably only useful for comparing different Dimazio pickups, I can't see if they explain how they get those numbers but depending on loads of factors like what guitar you put them in, what size strings you use, how close to the strings the pickups are, how hard you play, you could get completely different results. All it really tells you is that one Dimazio pickup is louder or quieter than some other Dimazio pickup.
Fender's way of doing it is the same it just gives you an idea how different Fender pickup compare to each other.

The only way to tell what sort of voltage your pickups produce is to measure the output of your pickups in your guitar with you playing it.

guitarkill

just another dude killed by his guitar

xixiviii

Quote from: slacker on March 19, 2014, 03:40:20 PM
Dimazio's way of doing it is probably only useful for comparing different Dimazio pickups, I can't see if they explain how they get those numbers but depending on loads of factors like what guitar you put them in, what size strings you use, how close to the strings the pickups are, how hard you play, you could get completely different results. All it really tells you is that one Dimazio pickup is louder or quieter than some other Dimazio pickup.
Fender's way of doing it is the same it just gives you an idea how different Fender pickup compare to each other.

The only way to tell what sort of voltage your pickups produce is to measure the output of your pickups in your guitar with you playing it.

I understand what you are saying about the numerous variables involved, I realize now it would make it impossible to give a single output voltage. 

Quote from: guitarkill on March 19, 2014, 03:54:26 PM
Maybe this might help? http://www.muzique.com/lab/pick.htm

I have looked at this - it is a part of what got me started on this quest.  I am probably trying to make sense of something that I am not experienced enough to understand quite yet.

I may start by trying to sort of replicate what Jack demonstrated in his measurements and see if it helps clear up a few things in my head.

Thanks for your inputs guys, it is appreciated.